Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 1st, 2008, 07:55 PM

Question hello to all of you

I'am new to this site and need some advise. i have a Daushound 5 years old that howls, the whole time we are away from home help! my new neighbors are complaining
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:39 PM
Doggie Wench

Hello faygo217. Welcome to pets.ca .

Sounds like your pup is suffering from separation anxiety. Is this a recent new behavior? I suggest you peruse the Dog training - dog behavior forum here. There are many threads on the same subject. http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

If you still have some questions or need other ideas, don't hesitate to start a new thread in that forum; lots of members who have experienced the same problems who would be more than happy to help you out.
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you had your Dachshund since he was a puppy or has he been recently adopted? You mention new neighbours. Are they possibly making noises that he is not accustomed to and he is protecting his turf by barking? Could someone perhaps be banging on windows etc/ Did he bark incessantly when you were out prior to your move? I have had 5 mini Dachshunds - 2 were extremely Alpha, but only barked when they felt the need to defend their turf - or Mommy. (We did have a problem though with a couple of neighbourhood kids banging on the window to get our major guy barking - they were little brats from the word go. Dachshunds are very stubborn - and of course like to howl and bark - so I would try to figure out reason for this behaviour if it is new and go from there (and rule out any possible health problem - and as you probably know there are a few that immediately leap to mind).
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, faygo217. I hope you figure out what's going on with your doxie soon.

Meanwhile, if you have some pictures to share, we'd love to see them!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:58 AM
-

Welcome to pets.ca I don't have any more advice to offer but would love to see pics of your Doxie.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM

still need help

i have had snuggles since she was 3 days old. her mother broke her back delivering 5 pups. i took care of all of them till they were ready to leave and was given my choice of pups, called my husband and he came and picked up each one. the last one he picked up was her, she climbed up to his neck and wrapped around it, hence her name snuggles. she has been with me 24/7 most of the time except when i was in the hospital , iam handicapped. they tell me she cried alot when i was gone but she was never alone. we moved to floridia from michigan december 1 2007. now every time we leave she howls the whole time we are gone, new neighbors do not like this. we have tried leaving the tv on. she has access to go out side to a screened area while we are gone. how do i stop the howling, i cant take her with me to dr or shopping, and she can not stay in the car. HELP, i love her and do not want to have to give her up. the trailer park that we have to do something or move
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Check out some of the threads on separation anxiety, faygo217. Also, start a new thread in the behavior/training forum--you'll get lots of advice on how to help with separation anxiety. More people will see it if you post in the other forum!

There are lots of members with lots of good advice on your problem! You just have to get your question out where they can see it!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

The change in routine will definitely be a factor. If you close off the screened area where she can go, will the neighbours be able to hear the barking/howling to the same extent - guess much depends on how close the trailers are together. Also keeping all windows closed. It is unfortunate that Dachshunds have such deep barks - people are often surprised that the barking coming from behind the door is not a physically big dog. And there are some Dachshunds that have the true Dachshund hunting howl which is like a major screech - I know, one of ours had it. The vet told us that it is no longer as common in today's Dachshunds, but once you hear it you don't forget it - hopefully that is the case. You would know the sound - say if you went into a store and your husband was outside with Snuggles and Snuggles wanted to say "hello" to someone - not upset, just being friendly - and you think someone is being murdered on the street - that is what it sounds like. I suspect this is not the case or it would not be new to you - but just wanted to mention it. IS THERE ANYONE in your retirement community (assuming you moved to a retirement community) that perhaps like Dachshunds (or dogs in general) and does not have one who one like to babysit. Someone like me, for example who would jump at the chance. I know longer have a Dachshund - couldn't go through the surgery heartbreaks again, but they are the loves of my life. If you could find someone in you trailer development who would care for Snuggles - that Snuggles likes - that might be the best solution. Some Dachshunds like everyone - the younger dogs these days - others, such as the 2 Alphas I had, are overly particular - whereas my other 3were much more mellow. We had a German neighbour who loved one of our Alphas - and she helped out when I had to go to hospital. She cooked him German sausages, butter cookies etc. (NOT good for keeping his weight down), but still it was a help. She wanted to keep him - that wasn't in his plans though. I hope you can work something out - it is going to be tough.