Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old February 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Any further news today, Karin?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

No further news since yesterday but no one is worried about that right now. Nothing can move forward until all the paperwork is in order and exact.
I do not expect any more contact until Monday now, Iran is 7 hours ahead of our time zone.
The father is working on this on his end too from what I was told.

You guys are the bestest!
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Karin,that's great news,but until she's on(I was going to say Canadian soil)American soil we'll still keep our that everything works out great.
Why would Sophie go to Iraq???
Isn't Sophie old enough to fly home on her own??
Go ahead and say "Canadian soil" Chico! I know all involved would be happy if she was there right now, she would be free there too and even closer to home, and not in Iran.

Fariba is the daughter in Iran, her mother wants and needs to meet up with her as soon as she leaves Iran, it may even be a border meeting due to mom will have all the paperwork. There is no faxing or copies accepted of passport, birth certificate and court documents.

There is no way she is going into Iran, it's far too dangerous, but as soon as she can be reunited with her daughter the better. Iraq is the closest border to where Fariba lives now and the Swiss Embassy is right there too.

And the freakin' paperwork is a bit overwhelming. The State dept. is still involved...I think life itself evolved faster than they move. Everything has to go through Home Land Security with approvals and ya da ...geez, everything is ok now but the documents have to be issued and permission to go.
I hate paperwork...hand me a bic lighter and I can make it go away.
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:51 PM

This is terrible. No child should have to go through this.

I don't want to hijack this thread but as someone who has actually visited Iran, I wanted to set some things straight about Iran. You can skip right on over but if you are curious about Iran, read on.

The days of women having zero rights in Iran isn't over, but they are getting there and they are trying. Women don't exactly have it good there, it isn't the west, but there are millions of people over there who are trying to make things better everyday, and its getting there slowly.

Statements like "her father will kill her if found and this is allowed in this country" is a quite ignorant thing to say. Believe it or not there are laws over there and murder will get you the capital punishment (so will drug trafficking, rape, etc). You can't get away with things just because you are a male. There is no "code" in their law or religion that allows her father to kill her under so and so circumstances.

Exactly how safe is it in Iran? very safe i'd say. Obviously there are good and bad areas just like any other city/country. I wondered the streets of Tehran at 3am with my buddies and I felt perfectly safe. Believe it or not, Tehran is actually more like Toronto than any other city I've seen. At any time of the day, even late at night, streets are filled with people. The night life is actually quite interesting over there but thats for another thread...

I just hate generalizations like "There is such a thing as a good Iranian? And yes, there is. But Iran is still Iran, a country run by terrorists."
Well of course there is, why would you even ask that? People over there aren't monsters for ****'s sake... They are people like you and me. few people like the ruling government of Iran, but the majority of Iranians are good people and certainly not terrorists.

Its difficult to explain in so few words but after my visit, I realized just how much propaganda there is in Iran against the west, but also I realized how much propaganda there is in the west against Iran. It is really amazing how the media's portrayal of anything can affect the views of people.

I probably just opened myself to a whole lot of flame right there, so I'll stop for now Just felt I should add my personal experience .