Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 26th, 2004, 08:30 PM

smelly cat

I have a 3 year old cat named Effie. She was feral for her first 6 months and then brought to the vet for vaccinations and spaying and then given to me. I have several other cats and they all get along fine with Effie. Effie is still skittish and won't go up to a person who is standing up, but likes to come up on the bed at night to be petted. The problem is that she gets very affectionate when she is petted and then "sprays" or "drips" a terrible whitish/clear liquid out of her behind (not urine). I don't know if its anal gland fluid or what. Its disgusting and I immediately have to wash what ever it gets on. It makes me not want to pet her least she become "happy" and start dripping. What can I do to get her to stop dripping? I'm certain she's spayed, does she simply need her anal gland cleaned out or is that just for dogs? I hate to have to put her to sleep, but this odor is ruining my home and I don't think its fair to give her to someone else where they'll end up with the same problems I am. Any idea what's causing the cat to do this and what I can do to stop it?
Old January 26th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I don't think that there is much that you personally can do.

But I think a trip to the vet would help.

Was she fixed or not?

Sounds like you are not to sure.
Old January 26th, 2004, 08:50 PM

Smelly Cat

Yes, I'm certain she's fixed. Thanks for your reply.
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Senior Contributor

It's possible her anal glands need expressing. The smell of that certainly is horrible.

Cats contract their anus when being petted on the back, near the tail and that can express anal gland fluid.

Please don't consider killing her til you've seen the vet. You've come so far with her, and it may be an easy fix!
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:32 PM

smelly cat

Thanks for the advice. I sure hope that's what's wrong with her. She such a nice cat (when she gets brave enough to get close), but oh, so smelly! I'll bring her to the cat doctor and post the results.
Old February 5th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Administrator

The fluid most likely (99% sure, but a scent would confirm origin) is anal sac secretion. The only certain way to remove this source is to do an anal saculectomy, much like what is done to ferrets to keep their scent levels down. Confer with your veterinarian to see if he/she is comfortable doing the procedure, or if sending to a boarded surgeon is your best answer. Not a difficult surgery to do, but one that meticulous care is needed to prevent long term nerve damage problems to the anus, and short term problems with post-surgical inflammation/pain/infection. Don't waste your time cleaning/draining these anal sacs. The cat will grow to avoid you and you can never adequately keep up with the problem: human nature is such that if a problem needs periodic attention and if it is hard to do, then it won't be done.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old February 5th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Chocolate

Quote:
Originally posted by LuckyRescue
Cats contract their anus when being petted on the back, near the tail and that can express anal gland fluid.
OMG, I never knew that!!!

every time I got my cats near me, I could have SWORE they had just stepped foot out of the litter box... little did I know... it must have been me initiating the stink in my place...

lololololol
Old February 5th, 2004, 10:33 PM

smelly cat

Dr. Van Lienden, thank you for taking the time to reply. I will certainly consult with a vet about the procedure. I am in the process of moving to Tampa FL at the end of February and will most likely wait until then. There are several good cat vets in Tampa, I hope one will be familiar with this type of surgery and be willing to do it. Thanks again, EM
Old August 19th, 2012, 06:55 AM

Hello found an old post from you about leakage from your feral kittys back side. I have a 3 year old that has the same background and discovered the gland issue this morning. I would appreciate any advice from your experience. Thank you