Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 14th, 2012, 06:37 PM

Post-Neutering Difficulties

Hey guys

I'm actually writing today on behalf of my Mom. She has an eight month old irish coated wheaten terrier named Jaxon who just got neutered last Monday (so 8 days from today). The first few days went well, however, recently my Mom started to notice the area was purple and swollen. Of course she took him back to the vet right away and he prescribed her some antibiotics. Saying that sometimes dogs that are active soon after the surgery can have blood come into the "sack". He said if the blood sits there it can cause infection, so I'm assuming the antibiotics are to avoid that. Now he did say it may take a few days but I'm just wondering if anyone else experienced a similar situation? I'm sure Jaxon is in a lot of discomfort and he definitely doesn't want that cone left on any longer than it needs to be!

Thanks!

Here is a picture of what the area currently looks like.

And here is another picture of him! What a cutie.
Attached Images

Old August 14th, 2012, 07:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We had the same problem with Cole. The area is very vascular and the sac fills up with fluid. The good thing is that the added pressure if the serum on the leaking vessels tends to seal them off, but it might take a while for the swelling to resolve. We used cold compresses with some luck, but eventually, after he figured the vessels had closed, the vet removed some of the fluid by needle to give it a head start on healing. (And no, although both hubby and I cringed, Cole didn't even notice the fluid was being extracted. ) After that, the swelling resolved fairly quickly and was completely gone within two weeks.

Jaxon sure is a cutie!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:59 AM

Thanks so much! I passed this on to my Mom and she was glad to hear that it can be healed up quickly. She is going to take him back in on Saturday and perhaps the vet will help drain some of the fluid. She is also going to give the compresses a try.

And yes he is a doll. He's got a crazy personality though!
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Papa D

i just went through the same with my female,vet told me that its fluid and the body will absorb the fluid,about two weeks later its all healed,just try to limit the exercise.
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I probably shouldn't tell you this but my BIL had some similar problems after his vasectomy. Silly twit, he was supposed to call Sis for a drive home but it went so well and was a nice day so he walked the two miles home. Too much exercise and he got all purple and swollen and bled a bit.

Shsssh. I don't think he knows Sis told me all this.
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
I probably shouldn't tell you this but my BIL had some similar problems after his vasectomy. Silly twit, he was supposed to call Sis for a drive home but it went so well and was a nice day so he walked the two miles home. Too much exercise and he got all purple and swollen and bled a bit.

Shsssh. I don't think he knows Sis told me all this.
He's gunna kill you if he hears about this.
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yep, and Sis is gonna get it, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:19 AM

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. However Jaxon is not doing well. His sac became very purple and full of blood and as my Mom got ready to take him back to the vet his sac actually burst. There is a quarter sized whole now in his sac and it bled like crazy. He is now on very high pain killers and has to stay in his crate 24 hours for a few days with absolutely no movement. It looks absolutely horrible and I feel so bad. My Mom says he cries because he just wants to be near her. Poor guy I hope it can heal soon. She is going to a follow-up tomorrow morning.
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh my gosh, that's horrible. Poor Jaxon, I'm so sorry for the wee guy. That must be a very rare occurence; good thing you were keeping a close eye on him. Good thing he was not alone.
Old August 17th, 2012, 09:05 AM

Yes, I am not even going to post the picture my mom sent me as it is just horrible. She contacted the vet today and he may have to go in and be sedated again so they can clean it up a bit. It is a very rare occurance, and I believe it has something to do with how active he was right after the surgery. I feel so bad for him and I hope he heals soon.
Old August 17th, 2012, 01:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

omd, that's terrible!! Poor little guy!!! Was it infected, too, or just so badly swollen that it burst? I feel so bad for your mom, too--she must be beside herself.

We know that Cole's problem was due to too much exercise. The timing on his neuter was bad--I was just (unbeknownst to me) coming down with pneumonia and the first 5 days or so, while hubby was at work, I could barely crawl to the door to let him out, much less stand out there and watch him in the yard. I know he was bounding along the fence line every time someone drove by, too. So it wasn't too surprising that he had problems. Being a bigger dog, though, his sac never filled to the point of bursting!!

Poor Jaxon!!!!

Old August 17th, 2012, 09:44 PM

Poor guy, hope he heels up quick. Hence the importance of making sure they are not moving much immediately post op no matter how much they cry or whine. It really is for their own good. Crate rest immediately post op is very important for things to start heeling right and to avoid possible complications.
Old August 20th, 2012, 10:03 AM

Hey guys. Just wanted to update ya'll. Jax is doing better now, slowly healing. He is on doggy bed rest in his crate 24/7 for a few days. I think the bursting was really the fault of the vet. I think what should have been done is what you guys were talking about. It should have been drained - at least a little. The vet decided to leave it and that's why it burst. Now of course it is like an open infected wound. My mom and step-dad have to put on sterile gloves every few days and clean the area with gauze and apply cream.

To top it all off, we're leaving for vacation to the cottage on Saturday! Agghh! Both dogs are coming and it's going to be tough. They love playing together and poor Jax won't be able to swim or play around. Not a very fun vacation for him. Sooo...bad timing I guess.

Thanks for all the input
Old August 20th, 2012, 09:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Glad he's on the mend, at least!