Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 1st, 2011, 07:24 AM

Doberman puppies - training problems

I visited a friend yesterday who has two 4-month 40 pound old sister dobermans and was concerned with some of the things I saw. Please give me some advice on how to handle these subjects with them or perhaps a good dog training book I can give them.

Is it ok to allow the pups to play fight to the point that they become extremely aggressive and occasionally draw blood (it only lasts for a few minutues)?

They want the dogs to defecate in a fenced off corner of the yard yet allow them to urinate anywhere. If the dogs take too long to defecate, they are chained to the fence in that area for a short time until they do their business.

When the dog defecates in the wrong area of the yard, the husband puts the dog in the crate for 30 minutes (makes it small so he doesn't have much room to move).

They do not walk the dogs on leash yet so I asked to take them out - we each had one dog with a choke chains on. They were pulling with all their strength and were totally out of control. It was a dangerous situation as they can almost knock me over at their current size.

At night, both dogs are put in one large crate to sleep. In my opinion, although the crate it is quite large, is not large enough for two dogs as it barely give them enough room to move around or stetch out.

Needless to say, I am appalled at what I saw especially being a dog owner myself. I am all about positive reinforcement when training and it breaks my heart to see how they are handling these beautiful dogs. I want to help them as quickly as possible and need your advice. Thank you.