Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:20 PM

Dachshund Cant have toys!!

So heres the scoop folks.
We have an almost 4 yr old short-haired Dachshund. He really is a great dog.
However, I feel so bad for him. We cannot give the poor thing any type of toy or chewing product, why you ask?
Because the damn little thing chews it to bits in a matter of seconds.....literally 90 seconds people!!

I am at my wits end here. I have tried everything on the market. Even the toys for the super chewers. Yes I know that most of the stuff he chews to bits is digesteble, but it still upsets his stomach, becasue he eats it all. Then lovingly pukes it up in his bed. cute.

Rawhide bones.....teeth cleaning bones.....you name it..we have tried it. Forget about giving him one of his most beloved things...a cute stuffed animal with a squeeker in it..its ripped open in 30 seconds and he's swallowing filler by the mouth full.

I just cant belive how strong this tiny dogs mouth is. He's like a can opener.

Does any one have any suggestions on what to get this little guy? He is so lonley with nothing to play with in the apt. I fee bad, but I just cant spend another 50 bucks on toys he's gonna destroy in an hour.

Ideas poeple, ideas please!!

Sincerely,
CRF
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

A black Kong!

(And I'd stay away from rawhides - those can be quite dangerous)
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:33 AM

He even chews through the kongs. Crazy right?

And why are the rawhides so dangerous? I had never heard that before.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Geek Club CEO

Have you tried the super-duty nylabones (I think the heaviest one is called the galileo or something like that...) I have a huge chewer, she has to work at those.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

The rawhides are dangerous unless you reallly supervise your pup! the nots and the rawhide itself can get stuck in there tummies..doesnt really digest too well!

So you have tried the KONG? I have a huge dog and he hasnt been able to destroy the kong yet! Maybe yoou could try the kong again and fill it with some treats and stuff and let him have it...see if he plays with the treats for awhile and then when he starts to become destructive take it away until another day?? hope his helps

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM

I am thinking a real bone. Not a cooked one but one that you would get from the butcher. A knuckle bone or something of that sort. Once it is cleanned,, down to the bone,, hahaha,, bad joke. They are pretty happy chew toys for our pets and they no longer smell once the meet is all gone. ( I boiled mine just enough to get rid of all the meet off it, but not enough to cook the bone,, don't want it to splinter ) I can't see your little one chewing his way through a good sized raw bone. It will help with cleanning the teeth too and you won't need to replace it for a very very long time.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Agility Addict

I second the RMB suggestion - get the butcher to cut a beef marrow bone or neck bone into 4"+ sections... Considering your dogs size, you will probably want to scoop out most of the marrow to save his tummy... I wouldn't give bones unsupervised though...

Basically anything he can get his jaws around can/will be destroyed... A couple of good toys are the busy ball http://www.busydogball.com/products.htm
or the egge dog toy http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/produc...&pf_id=0028739 or a boomer ball.http://www.boomerball.com/

All of these toys are designed so they either cannot be picked up or are heavy duty enough to withstand chewing (boomer balls were created for zoo animals so are as indestructible as they come!)
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
Tamer of the Furgang

Here a picture of my big-chewer-dachshund:

A fresh buffalo knuckle bone and he's a happy camper.

Greetings,

Sabine and the Furgang
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Check out the WestPaw site - www.westpaw.com, I think. It is a U.S. based company (I live in Canada) - and look for their super strong toys - there is the Hurley Bone - but I am thinking more of the ball - it has grooves for the teeth so that puppy can run around with it. My Eskimo has the jaws and claws of death and can destroy toys made for super big dogs - and he weighs only 22 lbs., but he has decided to allow these toys to live. They seem to be made of a material similar to Crocs in that he considers (as do the other dogs whose parents have bought the same toys) West Paw products. RE Dachshunds - I have a ton of experience. My 2 soul mate Dachshunds did not play with toys - their job was to keep an eye on me - and the other Dachshunds and cats (we had 5 Dachshunds once at the same time) - but did love to chew anything of ours that was soft - such as the duvets) but they were super brilliant Alphas that were scary smart. The other normal brilliant Dachshunds loved toys - especially anything that squeaked and could tell if and where we had hidden them. Dachshunds do have VERY strong teeth - but you may find that in a year or two you may not have a problem as Dachshunds also have notoriously bad teeth. Our last angel had absolutely perfect teeth at his age 5 physical - vets were amazed. At age 6 he needed to have his teeth cleaned such was the deterioration over the one year period with no change in his gourmet eating habits. But that I wish was the worst of it - 3 weeks later he was in for full body disc surgery. Mouth size of course is a problem - big mouths but only so much room. I would be very leary of toys they could rip apart - i.e. anything fabric - I know this from the duvet eater - nothing like coming home to find a piece of thick thread wrapped around a canine and proceeding down the throat. Off to emergency we went. Also avoid anything we squeakers - Dachshunds are going to get that squeaker no matter what. Does your pup chew anything that is not a toy when you are out? If he doesn't then it is possible that he just loves to play with his toys when you are home. Our Eskie who loves to play with toys will only do so at his now 4 year and 4 months, if we are right there with him at his beck and call - and if he is excited. He is also a brilliant dog, but fortunately lacking the military cunning of my beloved Dachshunds - and he has VERY long legs - this I am not used to and never will be.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
Geek Club CEO

I`m nervous about giving our strong chewer heavy bones ever since she chipped one molar and SPLIT THE OTHER IN TWO while working on a bone. Not good.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a basenji mix who can chew up a black kong too. BUT i've noticed he wont' do it to a FROZEN black kong. have you tried filling it w/ various layers of stuff (cheese, yogurt, kibble, canned dog food, meats, etc...) and then freezing it solid?

I agree a real bone would be good too - BUT as other's mentioned, i'd only give a bone if I was home to supervise.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
border collie mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase_Mom View Post
A black Kong!
Yup, i had the same problem, Sabine, but i got Enzo a black kong..a.k.a. An Extreme Kong, he hasnt chewed through it yet, in six months, although it was little too chewed so we got a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealma View Post
I am thinking a real bone. Not a cooked one but one that you would get from the butcher. A knuckle bone or something of that sort. Once it is cleanned,, down to the bone,, hahaha,, bad joke. They are pretty happy chew toys for our pets and they no longer smell once the meet is all gone. ( I boiled mine just enough to get rid of all the meet off it, but not enough to cook the bone,, don't want it to splinter ) I can't see your little one chewing his way through a good sized raw bone. It will help with cleanning the teeth too and you won't need to replace it for a very very long time.

Yupp, i agree with getting him a real bone too, thats another thing i have for Enzo, he loves it and he hasnt done any damage to it..or more importantly himself, with it yet.
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:46 PM

Sorry, I have no advice, but having a daschund ourselves my son and I would like to thank you for the great belly laugh we had over your original post. Can opener can be added to our list of euphinisms for our sweet girl, along with alligator and wolf. "My my, what a lot of very big teeth you have for such a puny bit of dog!"
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:07 AM

Smile wow that is interesting.

I have a Pit Bull Lab X who liked to chew as well. She somewhat grew out of it but, man when she was really bad the only thing we could give her was the second largest black Kong and a squeak toy called a cuz. She has had the squeak toy now for about 5 months and not a dent in it. I guess some dogs tear off the legs but, apparently the ball with the squeaker stays in tact. I still can't give her anything thing remotely soft but, hey at least something works. I know the larger black kongs may be too big according to weight but, it might be worth trying for the thicker rubber. Nylabones are great too but, again go big if you want it to last. My toy breed loves chewing on the big dogs toys even though they seem bigger than him. It's actually kind of cute to watch. hope this helps.