Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 11th, 2005, 11:03 AM

We talked extensively about Royal Canin on this thread:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13841

And no, it doesn't appear to be good at all.
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Sarge

Ahhhh.... I use the Costco brand as well...Kirkland. It seems to work great and our pup loves it!!! Great deal for the size of the bag. Can't go wrong their either. Our vet recommended it as well

Old April 11th, 2005, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle
I presently feed Solid Gold, Wolf King. My dogs love this food and are doing very well on it.
Prin
I may have asked you this before but where do you buy your dog food? I have been going to Burlington, Vermont once a month or so to buy food. I save about $20.00 a bag. I noticed yesterday on my monthly run that the bag was silver instead of gold but still had the Solid Gold, Wolf King label on it. Is this what you were talking about?
Hey-- I just started using Solid Gold "Seameal" this week and my doggies' stool hardened up really well. It's a vitamin supplement that basically is all the stuff that is killed when the food is cooked. It has tons of vitamins and minerals as well as enzymes that help with digestion. I can't give them the recommended amount (about 2tsp for the big guy and one and a bit for the little one) because they hate it when there is too much. They spit it out. We put 1/2-3/4 tsp in and they don't mind at all.

Coppperbelle- You should try it-- It's a bit expensive but if you don't use too much, it'll last long. (I suggest you buy the small size first to see if they eat it at all...)
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Owned by goldens

Seameal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Hey-- I just started using Solid Gold "Seameal" this week and my doggies' stool hardened up really well. It's a vitamin supplement that basically is all the stuff that is killed when the food is cooked. It has tons of vitamins and minerals as well as enzymes that help with digestion. I can't give them the recommended amount (about 2tsp for the big guy and one and a bit for the little one) because they hate it when there is too much. They spit it out. We put 1/2-3/4 tsp in and they don't mind at all.

Coppperbelle- You should try it-- It's a bit expensive but if you don't use too much, it'll last long. (I suggest you buy the small size first to see if they eat it at all...)
I will certainly look for it the next time I go shopping. I imagine you get it at Woofers. I have been meaning to go out there but haven't managed yet.
I started Hunter on Flaxseed oil today and hopefully it helps with his shedding.
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Owned by goldens

R.C. vs Wellness

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah
I just switched from Nutro's small bites lamb to Wellness Super 5 mix chicken. It's about $36 for a 15lb bag.

Related to the topic, is there any truth that Royal Canin has better ingredients then Wellness? My mother in law said that "her dog food is better, as she buys from the vet and dog food sold at the vet has top quality ingredients, even if they both have chicken as the first ingredient, she says vet dog food has better quality chicken then wellness or any other brand not sold through vets."
I said that is b.s. but would like some proof or any one's opinion to back it up. Thanks
I don't know what kind of Royal Canin your mother in law is feeding but I do know that I have compared the R.C. Natural Blend to Wellness and Solid Gold and in my opinion they are both a better quality than the Royal Canin. Just buying it at a vets office means nothing except that the vet is making a profit everytime he sells a bag.
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Owned by goldens

Purina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
How is Purina? I have a coupon for a free bag.
If you compare the ingredients in a Purina food with those of another food for example Wellness or Solid Gold you will find that they have far better ingredients than the Purina. Purina will offer "basic" nutritional needs but nothing more. Their food is full of fillers like corn and wheat. Your dogs poops will be humungous with this food.

I am not certain which Purina food you are talking about but here is an example of what you should not find in a good food.

by products, wheat, corn, corn gluten, soy, brewers rice
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:49 PM

Definitely not soy for a big dog. It causes gas which can lead to bloat, which big dogs are already prone to.
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Kitty Consort

A link for a few other comparisons that may not be covered here.
http://www.doberdogs.com/foodcht4i-q.html

I've never been a fan of Royal Canin Cat foods at all, and have steered people away from it. One of my cats experienced severe vomiting from the high corn content, (they've been on a combo of Felidae and Go Natural for a long time)

I ve been using the Royal Canin Mini-Bites (poodle) for the last four or five months, though. My dog's been a finicky and difficult eater, rejecting so many types. I was at first happy just to get him on a regular diet that he appeared to like.
However, I've been looking over these other examples.
Royal Canin appears to be less nutritious and overly expensive. ($12 for 3 pounds) and so not a good choice.
Order of listed Ingredients:
Chicken meal
Corn gluten meal]
ground corn
chicken fat
Ground barley
Ground oatmeal
chicken

I need to try something else.
Can anyone reccomend a very small sized kibble for a 6-pound adult that would be of better quality than the R.C.?
Old April 12th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I think Nutro has a small breed food

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 12th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Owned by goldens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin

Did you buy it at Woofers? There is a small store in St-Lambert. I am sure he can order it for me. I may ask him to.
Old April 12th, 2005, 06:40 AM

i switced my puppy who was on puppy chow to nutro natural choice puppy after reading on it was a good food on here and the puppy gets fullier faster and the same bag of food last longer so the extra cost u pay for the bag pays off in the end and i find she poops alot less then when she was on puppy chow
Old April 12th, 2005, 08:21 AM

Thanks everyone for your response. I don't know if it matters, but she feeds her dog royal canin sensitivity rc. He has colitis or some sort of stomach problem.
Shamrock, i was once in your shoes. I was feeding my dog nutro's small bites lamb food (my dog is a peke app 8 lbs), and before that she was getting her meals home made, with recipes from my vet, and we also added the vitamins etc. as my vet is terrific, and encouraged us to cook for our dog and supplied us (for free) with the vitamins she needed added to it. So needless to say, she was not too pleased when i switched her to kibble (after 3 years of being catered to). She did warm up to the Nutro's eventually (i tried a few "holisitic" dog foods first, but she would not eat them), but then i was reading different boards, and they all said good things about Wellness and Merricks and Fromm. So i looked into the ingredients, and Wellness looked the best to me, and i just recently switched her onto it. The kibble is not big bites. Much smaller than the medi-cal she was once eating for her stomach problems, but not as small as the nutro's small bites. She does like it, and soon she will only be eating wellness (I am switching her food very gradually a i don't want her to get an upset stomach).
Here is a list of the first few ingredients of Wellness Super5 mix chicken:
Deboned Chicken, Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye Flour, Menhaden Fish Meal, Whitefish, Ground Brown Rice
It is not too hard to find, and if all else fails, i do know that SuperPet sells it.
Good luck!
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

This is rather timely. I've also been feeding Den-Den Royal Canin Sensitivity. I don't know that he has a sensitive stomach - doesn't seem to get upset stomachs. I've just been cautious because he had a bout with HGE - Hemmoraghic Gastroenteritis a couple years ago and we could have lost him so easily. After a previous thread about Royal Canin, I have been looking for a better brand. Last weekend I bought Blue adult dog Life Protection Formula with LifeSource Bits - Lamb and Brown Rice Formula. It was $12.99 for 6 lbs.
Check out the ingredients - no by-products or corn - supposed to be human grade.

http://www.bluebuff.com/products/dogs_adult_lamb.shtml
Old April 12th, 2005, 01:41 PM
vivilee
Guest (limited permissions)

Smile

I feed my miniature schnauzer California Natural Adult Lamb and Rice (same company as Innova brand). It is absolutely awesome because it has cleared up her skin (she has schnauzer comedones). And, she's more finicky than a cat but she just LOVES this brand.

She poops a lot less as well. It is very nutrient dense. Many others I know also swear by this premium brand food.

http://www.naturapet.com

The whole Natura line is good.
Old April 12th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Kitty Consort

This is a really interesting and informative thread. The pet store I use has a very wide selection. I'll do a little more experimenting with a few other brands in a small kibble.
As he came to me as a 4-year old with no background, no idea what he had been eating, but he certainly had fussy tastes
Old April 12th, 2005, 03:29 PM

I'm glad I came across this post. I had been thinking of switching Dante from Kirkland brand puppy to Chicken Soup. Now I'm not sure as several have listed the kirkland as being a good food.
Old April 12th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcreed
I'm glad I came across this post. I had been thinking of switching Dante from Kirkland brand puppy to Chicken Soup. Now I'm not sure as several have listed the kirkland as being a good food.
I've been doing a lot of research here, and I'm planning on switching to Kirkland when we get towards the end of the Nutro Ultra she's on now. I looked at the label the last time I was there, and it's just as good, and soooo much cheaper. I think it was around $17 (US) for 40 lbs, compared to $30 for 30 lbs. of the Nutro....
Old April 12th, 2005, 04:06 PM

My dog is on Kirklands. As far as dogfoods go, it's great quality for the price. Eventually, I want to feed more raw foods, even if I never switch completly to raw. Ky has been having really soft stools but I'm still working on exactly what's causing them. He's on the lamb formula right now and I may switch him onto the chicken formula to see if that's better.

My cat also eats Kirklands, but I give him a tin of canned catfood every week or so. I figure it can't hurt.
Old April 12th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Wolf King

Copperbelle,

I'm pretty certain that Little Bear on the corner of St.Catherine W and Greene Ave., sells Wolf King. I know they sell EVO, Wellness, Eagle Pack Hollistic and a few other top notch kibbles.. dunno if that helps you..oh and I don't know how $$ it is there...
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old April 12th, 2005, 05:14 PM

As I said on another thread today (about my doggies eating moldy cookies), I do go to Woofers and they were great about the moldy cookies. They felt so bad, I ended up leaving with 2 more bags of cookies and 2 cans of Wellness canned food. My loyalty gets earned by service providers and Wookers has definitely earned mine. I'm stubborn about that.

C- I do get the seameal from there too- I've only bought one jar so far though.

I just came back to brag about Wellness canned food-- have you seen the flavors? Craziness. Wholesome and yummy. If they only made human food like that. --oops, I made a mistake they aren't wellness, they're Merrick. I thought they were Wellness because they were with the wellness stuff, but I just looked at them and they're not.

Last edited by Prin; April 12th, 2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old April 12th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Owned by goldens

Dog food

Prin

I only feed kibble, no canned food. I do supplement their food with some of mine. I will make extra to give them. I am trying to convince my mother into getting her Bichon some Wellness canned. She has been reluctant. If I ever get out to Woofers I am going to pick up a few cans for her.
Old April 12th, 2005, 09:03 PM

I give it just as a treat sometimes. I mix it into the food really well. They know it's not forever... It would cost me way too much to feed them canned and dry is easier too.

Go here: it's such a cute home page and their food looks really good!!
Merrick Pet care

Last edited by Prin; April 12th, 2005 at 09:20 PM.