Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 20th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Doggie Wench

Vaccination Question

Lucky and Penny were fully vaccinated 1 1/2 years ago. Ava, just several months ago. All three are extremely healthy. We're considering a move to the country and was wondering what I ought to consider having them vaccinated for, and how often? I know their Rabies vaccine is good for a minimum of 3-5 years. Are there ticks in rural Quebec ? Should I have them vaccinated for Lyme?

Every vet I talk to has a different opinion . Is there a website anyone here knows of that could give me some ideas?

Thanks.
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hi LP! We need Hazel! she is the tick lady! I know one thing they are certainly gross! I saw my first tick @ 14+kitties when I was visiting...ewww it was gross! I wouldnt think you would need to worry about too much other than the standard stuff..I know we dont usually get the shot that you need when your going in a kennel..I think that one is bortadella or something like that..I think maybe just wait to see what your first year brings and take it from their! sounds like your moving to a bigger space! more room for puppers!!

We need some more pics of the crew since the puppies have left!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:58 PM

i personally dont vaccinate my dog anymore whatsoever, due to her having a very serious blood disease and bad skin allergies to boot...
but i just wanted to mention that you should go online and research this question and come up with what works for you.
definately do not OVER-vaccinate them though because there is many potential health issues that you potentially run into.
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

but i just wanted to mention that you should go online and research this question and come up with what works for you.

Great point swaysbodyguard! so glad to see your still checking things out! give hugs to sway for me!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Doggie Wench

Thanks for your responses. I had already researched it some in the past which is why I didn't re-vaccinate Penny and Lucky this year. Seeing Ava was a more recent addition and I wanted to continue fostering, I decided to have her vaccinated just this once to protect her from anything that may enter our home.

I'm just not sure what's out 'there' and although I'd like them protected, I don't want them needlessly vaccinated either. I had contacted 2 vets in the area we're looking at and they both had different opinions as well . Doesn't make my job deciding any easier .
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Most vaccines are good for 3 years. Now Harley was due, but I chose to titer him instead, and lookie he was fully covered, and did not need to be re vaccinated. Only thing is rabies by law is every 3 years
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover View Post
Only thing is rabies by law is every 3 years
It depends on the manufacturer's recomendations is what I was told by our vet. He said there are some manufacturers that guarantee protection for 5 years. I guess if you can find some sort of documentation from them, it can help if you need to renew a municipal license. The guy who came around here a couple of weeks ago didn't even bother asking for proof of vaccines . He also said he didn't know anything about city bylaws pertaining to dog limits, only that he was supposed to hand out no more than two .
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Rather than ask the area vets what vaccinations they recommend, ask them if, for example, leptospirosis is common in the area. If so, vaccination might be the way to go. If they don't see much of it, then skip the vaccine.

The diseases I'd ask about here would be: tick-borne diseases (Lyme's, ehrlichiosis, anaplasmosis, babesiosis, etc) and leptospirosis.

The only tick-borne disease here with a current vaccine is Lyme's, but the presence of any tick-borne disease would, of course, warn you that you'd have to watch for ticks.

Leptospirosis is spotty here, but Hazel Run rodents evidently have it The dogs caught it earlier this year.

The other thing you might want to consider is frequent fecal analyses or just a frequent deworming schedule. We finally stopped testing fecal samples...since they were all positive anyway, it was just cheaper to use the wormer every 3 months during the warm seasons and have a winter fecal done to make sure we've caught everything

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM
-

LP , you know where I live. The dogs never got any ticks from my yard. Only when we walk in the woods near by. And I only found ticks 2-3 times max per summer so I wouldn't go with the vaccines.
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:17 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Yes Winston, you are right, they are nasty! Sam loves to lie in the longer grass and that is the prime area for ticks. We put her on Revolution flea and tick stuff that you put on her neck. It is supposed to make the dog taste bad so the tick won't bite. Or they bite but won't hang on to eat. She hadn't had hers put on at that point because ticks normally don't show up till later in the summer.
I have noticed this year the ticks are worse than they have been in previous years in this area. I really hope they clear out soon!
Just one of the joys of living in the country.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If you're just seeing a few ticks, one of the topical tick repellents is probably all you need for the tick-borne stuff... We use Frontline Plus on ours--sorta pricey, but it sure does seem to kill a lot of ticks--both the wood ticks and the deer ticks.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."