Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 16th, 2012, 08:28 AM

Duke and Duchess have been adopted :)

I'm so happy that both kittens have been adopted together - they're two peas in a pod and enjoy each other's company to no end. I received a large number of inquiries, but most of them only wanted one. A lot of people seem to have a mental block when it comes to adopting more than one cat, thinking that it's twice as much work/trouble. They way I see it, once you have one, it's only a little more effort to take care of two, and you get twice the benefit!

It was a bittersweet moment for me, as I had been caring for them since birth, and loved both of them to bits (ok, that's a bit of a lie, the mommy cat did most of the work ). Duke, especially, is the most well-behaved, mellow kitten, happy to spend time on your lap, and the least picky eater of all the kittens. But, it wouldn't have been fair for me to keep him and split up the pair.

In any case, they are both now in their fur-ever home: a couple who loves pets, whom I got a great vibe from during our meeting. They had a pair of cats as well, one of which recently passed and they were looking for a new companion for him. They realized the importance of keeping them together and stepped up to make it happen, which I'm very thankful for.

I'm sad to see them go, but happy they found a wonderful home.

I'm left with mommy cat Newt, and the adventurous trouble-maker, Newton, which I think I'll keep to keep mom company.
Old October 16th, 2012, 10:12 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's great news, tezster!! Although I can imagine how hard it must be for you to let them go You did an awesome job getting them placed together! (And dang, that pic is cute!! )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 16th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I'm so happy that both kittens have been adopted together - they're two peas in a pod and enjoy each other's company to no end. I received a large number of inquiries, but most of them only wanted one. A lot of people seem to have a mental block when it comes to adopting more than one cat, thinking that it's twice as much work/trouble. They way I see it, once you have one, it's only a little more effort to take care of two, and you get twice the benefit!

It was a bittersweet moment for me, as I had been caring for them since birth, and loved both of them to bits (ok, that's a bit of a lie, the mommy cat did most of the work ). Duke, especially, is the most well-behaved, mellow kitten, happy to spend time on your lap, and the least picky eater of all the kittens. But, it wouldn't have been fair for me to keep him and split up the pair.

In any case, they are both now in their fur-ever home: a couple who loves pets, whom I got a great vibe from during our meeting. They had a pair of cats as well, one of which recently passed and they were looking for a new companion for him. They realized the importance of keeping them together and stepped up to make it happen, which I'm very thankful for.

I'm sad to see them go, but happy they found a wonderful home.

I'm left with mommy cat Newt, and the adventurous trouble-maker, Newton, which I think I'll keep to keep mom company.
What beautiful kittens ! And great job of keeping them together. I bet it was hard letting them go. I was once a foster mom to some kittens and I hated to let them go. Thanks for the update. I think that nice of you to keep Newton so his mom will not be alone. I love stories with happy ending.
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Yup, gotta love a happy ending. Job well done.
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Willing cat servant

Same here, love a happy ending
Duke and Duchess I wish you the best! A happy, healthy and very long life with lots of love!
Old October 16th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Well done, Tezster, hanging out for just the right home where the kittens could be together. Surprised that more people can't see the sense of "two is company", the last two times we've needed to replace cats we did it with sibling kittens, Toast and Marmalade the first time(ginger brothers of course), and now Sibi and Ginger. Your two quite obviously love each other, it would have been sad to split them up.
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:00 PM

I am glad you were able to take your time in having Duke and Duchess adopted so that they went together as brother and sister, and you are having good feelings about the people who have adopted them. They are a real dream team. I'm glad I didn't have to make the decision, it must've been difficult.
Old October 16th, 2012, 10:35 PM

Thanks, everyone I had attached the maximum 10 photos on the ad I placed, and I think that helped in generating enough interest that I could afford to be selective. It can be hard to resist cute kitten photos!

What I failed to realize, now that Newt is without two of his siblings to play with, he has focused more of his attention on me and his mom during play time, which I wouldn't mind if only he played nice and didn't use his claws so much.
Old October 16th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you trimmed his claws? With my indoor cat, a Persian, I just nip the very end off with my nail clippers, the hooked part. It doesn't hurt her and saves us from having to unhook her from our clothing while we are grooming her. Would cause less scratch marks too, if a cat was so inclined.
Old October 17th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thanks, everyone I had attached the maximum 10 photos on the ad I placed, and I think that helped in generating enough interest that I could afford to be selective. It can be hard to resist cute kitten photos!

What I failed to realize, now that Newt is without two of his siblings to play with, he has focused more of his attention on me and his mom during play time, which I wouldn't mind if only he played nice and didn't use his claws so much.
Maybe a scratching post would keep Newt from scratching you so much .
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:31 AM

Trimming Newton's claws sounds to me like it would be a job that would need danger pay, lol... I can only try petting him when he's sleepy. Otherwise, anytime my hand comes close, he seems to think its playtime and will try to paw/scratch at it. He would need to be near comatose before I could trim his claws.

And yes, he does have a scratching post.

This may sound a little strange, but when I had all 4 cats together, there was a certain balance - they would all play/interact and keep teach other busy. With just Newton and his mom, things are a little off... Newton on his own has so much energy and can be pretty high maintenance at times. He meows a lot and I don't know what he wants, and he can get quite loud.

I miss the two well-behaved kittens!
Old October 19th, 2012, 10:49 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You may have to get yourself another kitten Seriously! Someone to keep Newton tired!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Trimming Newton's claws sounds to me like it would be a job that would need danger pay, lol... I can only try petting him when he's sleepy. Otherwise, anytime my hand comes close, he seems to think its playtime and will try to paw/scratch at it. He would need to be near comatose before I could trim his claws.

And yes, he does have a scratching post.

This may sound a little strange, but when I had all 4 cats together, there was a certain balance - they would all play/interact and keep teach other busy. With just Newton and his mom, things are a little off... Newton on his own has so much energy and can be pretty high maintenance at times. He meows a lot and I don't know what he wants, and he can get quite loud.

I miss the two well-behaved kittens!
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3400182

Have you seen this ad on TV for trimming cats nails? I had a cat that was a little fireball and I never tried to trim his nails. I had the vet to it.
Old October 19th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Crazy Kitten Syndrome - I'm so relieved to find there's a proper diagnosis for my kitten's behaviour.

http://www.catscene.com/what-is-crazy-kitten-syndrome/

I'm a bit skeptical about that device, but I may give it a try - anything that will help is worth a shot.
Old October 19th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Crazy Kitten Syndrome - I'm so relieved to find there's a proper diagnosis for my kitten's behaviour.

http://www.catscene.com/what-is-crazy-kitten-syndrome/

I'm a bit skeptical about that device, but I may give it a try - anything that will help is worth a shot.
Maybe you could find one at pet store so you will not have to pay for a handling and shipping fee. If the device does works it would less of a chance
of cutting your cat's nail quick by mistake. That was always my biggest concern about trying to trim my cat's nails