Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 6th, 2004, 08:15 PM

Angry Ticked off!

My dog was shaking as I had posted about a week ago I got advice and it was good advice. So I took her to the vet, only to spend and arm and a leg to find out there is nothing wrong with my dog!!!!
Okay I realize better safe than sorry, right?
But I am a person off limited means and I think this money would have been better spent else where! I mean where do you draw the line, you love your pet and want to care for them somthing goes wrong and you have to spend a small fortune to find out what the problem is and god forbid there is a problem, they tap you for another!
So to all pet owners who love their pets dearly you are not a bad person if you don't take your sick animal in and it passes away, don't feel like you have to intervine with natural selection and save the poor soal! It is after all an animal and you can take comfort in the fact that while they were alive you gave them a good life full of love!
My dog is not spayed and I have no intensions to do so! she has never been bread and never will be, as I too am concerned about the worlds pet over population dilema. as for her chances of developing cancer? every day that my breast's are attached to me I am at risk off developing breast cancer but you don't see me going to get them lopped off!!!!!
I love my dog! thank you for letting me get this off my chest!
Attached Images

Old March 7th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Miss Niki.
All I can say to you is,we humans go for breast-exams,stop doing "bad"things like drinking,smoking,overeating etc...and other things to try to prevent cancer from developing,spaying your dog will lessen her chances of getting cancer,does she not deserve that chance?
$150 worth of prevention can save $1.000 in treatment also she will be a generally happier,healthier dog.
Old March 7th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I can understand not getting treatment for a dog if the cost is truly out of reach...like bilateral hip replacement at about $5000.
In the real world, of course some treatments are just out of reach and it would be kinder to put a dog to sleep rather than leave it untreated & in pain until it dies.

But I cannot understand not spaying a bitch - there are proven benefits, the dog will have an almost zero chance of mammary cancer if spayed early and a zero chance of pyometra. Not to mention the stress every time she goes in heat. Wouldn't you feel terrible if your dog died a painful death at an early age ONLY because you decided it wasn't convenient to YOU to spend $100 or so to get her spayed?

Quite frankly I think you are a bad dog owner if you refuse to get medical treatment for a dog & instead just sit & watch as it dies - particularly since most fatal illnesses don't happen all of a sudden, the animal could be in agony for weeks or months. How can this be humane or good?? That would be cruel beyond belief.
And nobody who "loves their pets dearly" would allow this. Nobody.

For the sake of argument if I had to spend $25,000 to save a dog, that would be out of my reach & I would elect to euthanise the dog. But I certainly wouldn't feel good about it, just accept the reality. But if one of my animals needs treatment I would do whatever I could withinn reason - beg, borrow, go without, sell my second car - in order to do so.

Do you take no reasonable care of yourself? If you were in severe pain, would you not go to the doctor? Or do you think getting annual pap smears, mammograms & such a complete waste of time & money?
Old March 7th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Well said Carina..and I agree,I love my cats and do everything I can to give them a good healthy life and it costs $$.
In letting a cat/dog be part of our lives, we know it will cost money to care for them and there will be a time where we have to make a heart-wrenching choice,but a $100 prevention is worth every penny.
Unfortunately there are too many pet-owners who"love"their animals,but only as long as it does not touch their pocket-book.
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:12 AM
banned user

I agree with both of you. i have been told I'm completely insane for spending 4000.00 on Motzi and 2000.00 on Liz. What the heck can you do. I would lay down my life for all my babies!

But I can understand the frustration of not getting an answer for a problem.

There is no excuse thought for not getting a dog spayed or neutered.
Old March 7th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't how you feel,or what your experiences have been..but in almost all the cases I know of where a dog/cat have had a very serious illness,gets chemo or invasive surgery,unlike humans they do many times not recover and die shortly after.
Maybe the trauma is too much for them to handle,after all we cannot tell them why they are being hurt in that way

A girlfriend of mine,divorced,self supportive spent $6.000 she did not have,on trying to save her old dog,one thing after the other went wrong and she eventually died at home in pool of blood from internal bleeding.It was horrible both for the dog and the owner.Why do some vets encourage surgery,when they almost certainly know the outcome?
I know I might have done the same as Julie(my friend)but there has to be a point where enough is enough and you have to let go.....
Old March 7th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

and Amaruq,don't get me wrong,I too would spend whatever it takes to save my kitties as long as their chance of recovery is reasonable.
Old March 7th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

What gives here? Are you feeling guilt over something and using excuses to make yourself feel better? Give it up!!

Many of us are of limited means as you so indicate. BUT you took the responsibility of caring for your pet for the entirety of its life. You should have thought of not wanting to fork out $$ before you got the dog.

When my dog was sick we spent THOUSANDS on him because he deserved the opportunity to have medicine do all they could to help him , without putting him in jeopardy or carrying on treatment that would leave him too ill to enjoy life.

In the long run, surgery found his tumour were cancerous and inoperable. THEN AND ONLY THEN did we make the decision that he was better off not suffering the pain and depression of not having a fulfilling life.

I wonder if you didn't have medical coverage, and had a child would you make the child suffer if you didn't have money.

Spay and neuter fee's FYI are NOT expensive so there is NO excuse. You aren't concerned about over population or you wouldn't have said such an ignorant thing.

Quote:
So to all pet owners who love their pets dearly you are not a bad person if you don't take your sick animal in and it passes away
And YES to me if you don't get treatment and allow your pet to SUFFER in pain and agony you ARE a selfish self centred person.

I suppose it's more important to buy your $5.00 cup of Starbucks every morning.

And btw sounds like you LOVE your dog as long as your dog remains healthy. Then ...who cares...just let it die and you'll go get another one right!!
Old March 7th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG OMG OMG

Did I read that right?

You are not a bad pet owner if you don't take your sick animal to the vet and it dies?...And it's just an animal?And you love your dog?

WTF?.....Now I'm pissed.

To me,you are a disgusting pet owner if you don't do this.

If she thinks pap smears are a waste of time I got news for her.

That's how I found out about my cervical cancer 8 years ago.If I didn't get my yearly I could be dead right now.Where would THAT leave my daughter?

Don't worry guys,I'm fine
Old March 7th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
So to all pet owners who love their pets dearly you are not a bad person if you don't take your sick animal in and it passes away
Yes, this does make you a bad person. Not only that, but in many places it's illegal to withhold medical care from a sick and suffering animal, so you could be charged with cruelty if this becomes known.

I hope you are never lying somewhere suffering, and no one will take you to the doctor, and decide that they will let nature run it's course.
Old March 7th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh yea you're the one that posted this:

Up untill now she has been healthy but I started noticing she shivers lots at first I thought it was the cold but as it grows warmer I realize somthing is wrong. She shakes all day and it is getting worse no other symptoms exist, I can see no cause for it no changes in diet, excersize or environment. She is eating but not drinking as much, she spends a few days a week home alone for a long period of time, inside. She does not mess on the floor, could this be a problem?
Why is she shaking so bad? please help we don't see the vet for a few days yet!

And you're UPSET that you're dog is okay?
So if you spent an arm and a leg, you still have another arm and leg for next time!

LMAO
Old March 7th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

What the f*#@ is wrong with some people???? Sheesh!!!!!! I'm getting married in less than a year, we're of "limited means" too, but we just rescued a dog and spent at least ONE arm to make him happy and healthy!! I will eat Ichiban soup and Kraft Dinner if I have to so all my creatures are safe, healthy and happy!! INCLUDING my lizards!!! They too deserve a good life!! I have 12 pets...... and I would spend every last penny to help them!!

People like that make me nauseous...yes you ARE a bad owner...you shouldn't be an owner AT ALL with an attitude like that! (SLAPS upside the head!! ) Get a grip!!

P.S. notice that "good dog owner" never responded to anyone's posts?? Hmmmmmm, wonder why!!!!!! hehehe
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old March 8th, 2004, 06:48 AM

Exclamation

I can understand that everyone has to make the decision of where to draw the line when it comes to extraordinary care for there pets. (ie: the vet had told me that my last dog might need back surgery at the age of 11) I might have to think about that but not only for money reasons - did I really want to put him through that? Luckily the steroids worked and we didn't need to make that decision. But as for spaying or neutering, that is just common sense in this day and age. There are groups here that offer low cost spay and neuter. Do some research - your breast may not be lopped off but you probably get mammograms!!!!!
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jake
your breast may not be lopped off but you probably get mammograms!!!!!
Heehee.
When I read the OPs post I thought, well, if you cut your head off you'll never get a headache...
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Carina,I just got my morning smile,thank's
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:08 AM
banned user

I like the headache comment lol!

Chico I agree with you that there are times when there isn't enough money to help the animal. It's hard to choose when that is....
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

What about when you get menstrual cramps, what can you lop off then?

Old March 8th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Why do some vets encourage surgery,when they almost certainly know the outcome?
Yesterday I went to visit someone I met through the rescue network.

She has a very large breed dog who is 16 years old (!!!) and can barely walk. The dog probably has a couple months to live at the most.

So why does her vet have her giving this dog vaccinations and heartworm meds?? Gee,wonder what the reason$$$$ are.

I was disgusted and told her she was being soaked, and that the dog would die of old age LONG before heartworms or other illness could kill him.

I stopped heartworm meds for my own dog when he was 11, for the reasons stated above. My vet looked a little sheepish and said yes, there was no reason to do it anymore.

We must use common sense. When I had a cat with leukemia, I turned down all treatments offered. I knew they were futile, as this illness is 100% fatal, and would just increase my cat's suffering. People must do some research on their own, as well as listen to their vet.
Old March 8th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,that is exactly what I meant,in trying to explain how I felt,it might have sounded like I would not help my cats if they were sick and it would cost a lot.
Anybody who knows me,also know I would go to any lenght to keep them healthy,but there are times when mercy is the best medicin.
Many vets would encourage surgery no matter what,just to make big $$$ and yes,we have to use our heads and our love for our animals to make desicions.
My Chico was traumatized just from having his teeth cleaned,he is now limping,probably from the IV and I have to keep an eye on it..and take him back to the vet tomorrow.
I looked up my vet-bills and Rocky had his teeth done in 2001 and it cost $150+tax,Chico's bill was $320 incl tax,so it has gone up by half in 3 yrs...I just wonder? How much do you pay for teethcleaning ?
Old March 8th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hmmm good question...about the teeth cleaning

Rusty had to have surgery so I got them to do the teeth cleaning while he was out already so the cost wasn't that much as I recall.

I haven't had to have it done recently though, that was about five years ago so I'm not so sure.
Old March 8th, 2004, 04:32 PM

I agree - I had a hamster (he was 2 and was not well at the time) and the vet wanted to do surgery to remove some back teeth - to the tune of $300.00 - sometimes you need to use your head as well as your heart
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Jake,a hamster?They are cute little guys,Vinnie wants one to play with,but $300 I would have to think about that one
Luba,I would think you could clean a dogs teeth yourself,I tried on my cats,that was a joke....ouch!!!
Anyway,my vet said every three years is ok,so I'll take one cat a year,that's not so bad.
Rocky has really clean teeth,but I think I'll have trouble with Vinnie,the same as with my other white cat Peppi(RIP),but I guess it's an individual thing,just like people..
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Under normal circumstances but he was so old and had some cleaning that a brush could not take care of, they needed to do a scraping.
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

He was sooo sweet,even though you got adorable Sadie I bet you still miss him
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Anita I sure do!
Thats why I haven't yet changed my avatar on here yet!

He was very special to me!!
Sadie is very much a part of our family now, and I tell her all about Rusty...she's probably tired of hearing about him HA HA!
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:31 PM

miss_niki6- I would consider getting a second job or mabey tell the old man to get a second job. Im married with seven kids a dog,cat and bird and i would sell all my homes and properties just to see that any member of my family human or animal received the best medical care available.

I think you should give your head a shake and wake up to the real world. If you can't afford to look after them like you would your own flesh and blood then maybe you should not own a pet.

http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/trackers_world/
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Senior Contributor

7 Kids?

Talk about being busy..........
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hey deerclan nice seein u around again, what alias u been posting under lmaooooo
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

ticked off

Sorry Carina..still trying to navigate this forum/board.

I think my first message attempt was sent to you...all I can say is...

oop's, I'm sorry.
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:11 PM

Wow!!! How can someone be so selfish? well miss_niki6 how can you? It's people like you who get me not ticked off but P*ssed off!!!!

I have 3 small children 3 dogs and am in a VERY BITTER EXPENSIVE custody case. Do you see me b*tching about having to take ANY family member or pet to the hospital or vet, UMMMM NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and why you ask, b/c my dogs are just like kids to me. I love them just like my kids.

You don't want to spend the money to make sure you dog is ok, safe and healthy, then you know what miss_niki6 FIND A BETTER HOME FOR YOUR DOG, ONE WHERE IT WILL BE LOVED NO MATTER WHAT THE COST IS!!!!! APPARENTLY YOU RATHER THINK OF YOURSELF FIRST OVER YOU DOG.

MONEY IS THE ROOT TO ALL EVIL, JUST REMEMBER THAT MISS_NIKI6!!!

You don't want to love your dog and invest money in him when he needs to go to the vet, let me know and I'm sure I will and can find a LOVING home for him.

Like LR said if you know something is wrong w/your dog health wise and you refuse to get him the medical help, your liable for ANIMAL CRUELTY!!! That is a serious offense, then you'll have someone like me on your back day and night and making sure your taking care of your pooch.

Animals deserve the same treatment as you. You get sick you go to the doctors same goes for the pets.

I HATE SELFISH PEOPLE WHO ONLY CARE ABOUT MONEY!!!!!!
all I can say to them is Wake the Frig up and get a life.

www.dogsdeservebetter.com
www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com