Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:34 AM

EXOTIC CAT STOLEN - Trout Creek Ontario

EXOTIC CAT STOLEN $5,000.00 Reward

By Jennifer Hamilton-McCharles, The Nugget

Updated 10 days ago

Renee Jobin is offering a $5,000 reward for the return of her cat.

Atia, an eight-week African serval cat, was stolen from her Trout Creek home between Oct. 2 after 8 p.m. and noon on Oct. 3.

"I came home and immediately noticed my laundry door open. I never use that door and right away thought the cat had escaped," Jobin said Wednesday.

"I ran into the house and the cat was gone, as well as, her cage and food dishes. The projector was missing and half of my 1,000 DVD collection was gone. My Dell and Acer laptops were also taken."

Jobin said she waited three years to purchase the $7,000 cat.

She received the eight-week cat Sept. 28 from a British Columbia breeder who flew down to Toronto and drove to Trout Creek to help the cat adjust to her new home.

Atia was stolen from her home between Oct. 2 after 8 p.m. and noon on Oct. 3. Ontario Provincial Police are investigating the break, enter and theft.

"I came home and immediately noticed my laundry door open. I never use that door and right away thought the cat had escaped," Jobin said.

"I ran into the house and the cat was gone, as well as, her cage and food dishes. The projector was missing and half of my 1,000 DVD collection was gone. My Dell and Acer laptops were also taken."

Jobin said she's worried about how this traumatic event has affected her pet.

"These types of cats are easily spooked. For someone to break into my house, chase her around, then throw her into the cage, she will not calm down," Jobin said.

"When servals are overly stressed they can get sick and die, especially being so young. Just being on the plane he didn't eat for 24 hours," he said.

"I have no idea what these people's plans are for my cat."

Jobin said serval cats are a lot of work and they're not your typical cat.

"If they want to be around they'll come around. There not a cat for everyone," she said.

"These are not cuddle cats. If they want to be around they'll come around. Once they get to know you they're ok with you."

According to africanservalcat.com, servals live about 13 years in captivity and grow to about 40 inches long and the tail is one-foot long. Adults weigh about 30 to 50 pounds.

"The African serval cat is a wild exotic cat that lives in the grasslands of the african savannahs. The serval cat is a solitary feline and is found all over Africa," the website states.

The website also states, adults have a pale yellow coat with black spots and black bars on the shoulders and long neck. The tail is ringed in black and has a black tip. Kittens have colouring that is similar to adults.

Jobin said she's always loved exotic animals.

"I'm just so upset. All I want is the person who took her to drop her off," she said.

"My mom asked me why I wouldn't just get a new cat, but I named her and am already attached to her."

Jobin is asking anyone with information to contact her at 705-358-3818 .

Last edited by Inthedoghouse; October 17th, 2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added reward