Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 19th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Tortitude???

LOL A new word I learned yesterday in the intro forum here.

So what I am trying to find out is if this is my cats problem or could it be more. My cat Siren is completely unpredictable in her behavior. She is a kitten from my ex's cat who passed away shortly after she had her kittens. So she was bottle fed along with all her littler mates. Between me and a great vet we we're able to keep all 5 kittens alive and found wonderful homes for them all. The first one did not leave tell 9 weeks the rest just after 11 weeks.

Siren was given to a family and after only 7 months I got a very frustrated call from her owner telling me there was no way they could keep her anymore due to her violent behavior. So I took her back. She was just about a year old. She will be 3 on Aug 12th.

Okay here is what I deal with pretty much daily, I walk down the hallway and she will hide in a doorway and attack me as I walk past, if your hand is hanging over the edge of the couch, she will attack, if anyone comes to my house I have to lock her in a room because she will hiss at them and attack, if I do not get up at 5am and feed her she will attack me to wake me up, she scratches everything. I have had to sand my front door so much I am looking at replacing it. My couch, bed, chair, are pretty much toast.

I have tried repellent for my furniture, catnip spray for her scratch posts, I have tried the water gun, spray bottle things nothing stops her.

I just don't know what to do anymore. After reading a lot on here, maybe this is just normal torti attitude or is it more? I also heard about a calming collar, has anyone had any good luck with them?

Do they make kitty prozac?
Old July 19th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Tee14,

I'm wondering if Siren would benefit from some regimented play therapy. It could be that she just has a lot of mental and physical energy to burn and nowhere constructive to apply it. Cats in the wild would normally spend a huge part of their day hunting, so when confined to a life indoors, all that energy can build up to "toxic" levels . If you set aside a good 20 mins once or twice a day (morning and evening is ideal because cats are crepuscular - ie they're most active at dawn/dusk) to engage her with a fishing rod or wand style toy, or play a game of fetch with her, or hide catnip mice in various places for her to hunt for, etc, that might help tire her out a bit. Then when the session is over, feed her a meal of tasty wet food and she'll likely decide to have a nice nap after that.

Speaking of food, what does she eat? Diet can play a role in how cats feel and if they're eating lots of carbs in the form of kibble, they're more likely to be a touch irritable. Wet food is better for cats than dry, as you can read about here: www.catinfo.org

Does she have any tall cat condos or other vertical space (bookshelves, window seats) that she can hang out on? Cats tend to feel more confident and relaxed if they can watch all the household happenings from up above.

Where are the scratching posts located? If they're tucked away in a corner, now would be a good time to put them more front and center. Place them next to the couches and chairs that she currently uses instead. She may also prefer a different material to scratch on, like cardboard or wood instead of carpet. Offer her a variety and see what she gravitates towards.

I would refrain from using squirt bottles on her as they might only be adding to her anxiety.

Instead of a calming collar, see if you can find some Feliway diffusers and spray. The spray is useful for discouraging scratching on stuff you don't want her to mangle (you spray it on the item, not her!) and the diffuser can help her to feel calmer. Google Jackson Galaxy and see if you can find some of his video blogs on cat behaviour. He's a total cat whisperer about situations exactly like this.

Good luck!

ETA - here's an article by Jackson Galaxy on using play therapy to treat random acts of aggression: http://www.littlebigcat.com/behavior/play-aggression/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Last edited by sugarcatmom; July 19th, 2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added a link
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

It sounds like more is going on than just Tortietude. I'd go with SCM's suggestions. My sister had a Tortie years ago and she had attitude and was a ONE person cat but not like what you described. She'd swat people she didn't like..mostly everyone but not use claws.

My Calico is a little pain in the buttinsky but she's not aggressive in any way. Just has to help with everything!
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:34 PM

Wow what a lot of great information. The play therapy idea I had never thought of. She gets both wet and dry. I'm going to have a look at those links you posted for me.

As for her scratch posts one is right in the livingroom I have put one right beside the spot on the couch she scratches, she moved to the other side lol. I have used those sprays, she has had all different kinds of posts. I built her one using a material just like the one on my couch, she ignored it completely lol

As for a perch, her kitty condo is about 5" tall but it is my island in the kitchen she perches on, or sleeping on the kitchen table. I am thinking of buying stalk in lysol wipes LOL

I quit doing the water thing over a year ago. Not working so no need to continue.

Thanks for those links.

LMAO I just went to your link for Jackson Galaxy blog and then to his site and played a video in the beginning there is a cat hissing, I thought Siren was in the bedroom but she was sleeping on a chair, she is now going bazzerk and I'm getting the evil eye ....... oops lol

Last edited by Tee14; July 19th, 2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:47 AM

Sounds more like some issues possibly stemming from not having her mother around to teach her all the things mama cats teach, not normal tortitude.

The play therapy is a great idea, do you know if she does well with other cats? If so have you considered getting her a kitty playmate?

Btw Siren's a calico not a torti I've had both & they are wonderful cats .

Calico is described as distinct patches of colours in orange, black & white.
Tortoiseshell (tortie) is described as mottled with smaller patches of orange or cream and chocolate, black or blue but no white.

Would love to see more pics of Siren

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:11 PM

You know I thought she was a Calico and so did the first vet. Her new vet said Tortie, so did the Vet tech, so honestly I have no idea. He said yes some Tori's do have white but her whole back is the black with Orange. He said though between the two they are very similar in their DNA or genetic thing lol I am not the most technical one around lol

I did have a Tortie before. Her name was Jasmine. I always thought her behavior issues were due to her being severely abused tell she was 2 years old and I got her. She had a tin of medical and emotional issues. I did get to have her for 7 years though before she passed away.

Here is a pic of my Jasmine (Jazerburger) Her nic name for me.

Here are a couple more of Siren, So Calico (As I thought first) Or Tortie as this Vet Says. It is even on her spay papers and on her City License

Old July 20th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I don't think there's much difference in the attitude!! Noella is a real little PITA!! She takes great pleasure in annoying my Mom! She talks constantly! She answers to her name, and then carries on a conversation with you. Gets into everything, pulls tape off boxes, has to supervise litter changes. This morning she had to help me dry off, it's hard to get dry with a kitten hanging off your bath towel! Such a little poop! Harasses Bobee, leaves Nino alone though, so she's not dumb!! But she is funny!
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Siren is a beautiful kitty..look at that innocent face!! Look close enough and you can see the little devil horns!!
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:28 PM

LOL Patty, Siren has done the "grab the towel" to me many times.

Siren does have personality, she likes to steal things and hides them. I will be cleaning a room and move a chair or something and there is a little stock pile of her treasures LOL She got my cell phone a few times. I would have to phone it and hunt down the ringing, I have learned to hide the cell from her now. I can not seem to find my camera right now either, but I will hunt it down tomorrow when I need it LMAO

Patty her little horns are there she just likes to hide them as much as she can LOL
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She steals cameras, too? Can't wait to see the pics she takes! Maybe of her "stash" so she remembers what all she had before she was busted by Mom!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 20th, 2011, 03:17 PM

LOL Yep she will take anything she can drag off LOL mostly it is like socks, bras, jewelry, anything with strap. Once I find her stash she will find a new place. I think this time I might just take what I need back so I will always know where her stash is LOL

I will see what pics she might have taken if anything good I will post it for you all LMAO
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:55 PM

She is a cutie pie!

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying