Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Clipper recommendations??

I have two dogs (bichon, and bichon/shiht-zu) and would like to groom them myself. Here is the problem: I have bought a few Wahl clippers from Walmart and they suck. The hair just gets trapped and tangled in the guard and it won't cut. Years ago I had a professional set of clippers (also Wahls) that were awesome. I don't know what the model was.
Does anyone have first hand experience with any clippers and can please give me some advise on purchasing a good set? I don't want the grooming experience to be a bad one. Thanks.
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:35 PM

This is a great question (and funny how it just came up today).

A co-worker just dropped on my desk (not 1/2 hour ago) a Wahl clipper for me to try out on our two cockers and one shih tzu.

I think the other half is going to try them out tonight (because I am not taking them camping again while they are in full coat).

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:31 PM

So far so good

So TOH just finished cutting all of Eddie's hair and the Wahl clippers worked great.

I am going to start with Gizmo next.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Performance Spaniels

I personally like andis. Oster, andis or wahl should work fine.. as long as you buy decent ones, and not the ones for sale a pet grooming sets. You are looking at 120+ for the clipper and possibly a blade depending where you buy the minimum.
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess View Post
I personally like andis. Oster, andis or wahl should work fine.. as long as you buy decent ones, and not the ones for sale a pet grooming sets. You are looking at 120+ for the clipper and possibly a blade depending where you buy the minimum.
Yeah, the ones I tried from walmart were only $25 and $60. It is worth it for me to buy a good one....I just don't want to waste any more money on bad ones.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:58 AM

I just bought the Andis AGC 2 speed clipper (169.00 CAN) from renspets.com. This was recommended by several forum people who are groomers. I have used them once and found them very good . They run very quiet and my dog tolerated this well. I agree with you, you can spend a great deal of money on equiptment that is useless. I bought thinning shears and nail clippers from Walmart-virtually useless. My grooming experience was extremely good for my first effort using the Andis.
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Ann View Post
So TOH just finished cutting all of Eddie's hair and the Wahl clippers worked great.

I am going to start with Gizmo next.
That is great. Do you know which model you are using?
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochetdiva View Post
That is great. Do you know which model you are using?
No - but it's purple, cordless and $60.00 at Walmart (which makes me a little mad because I don't like shopping at Walmart).

So I started with Gizmo last night and it cut his hair prefectly too. I couldn't finish because he wouldn't let me get close to the end of his legs or his head. TOH is going to finishs him up tonight and start Tonka.

The last one we purchased was a Oster and it was a piece of crap. This Wahl one is perfect and it's going to save us $180.00 (60 x 3 dogs) every three months in grooming bills.

I can't wait to get three hairless s. This is the first spring shed with three dogs and I have had to vacuum every day (Mainly becuase of Tonka's hair).

Old May 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Ann View Post
No - but it's purple, cordless and $60.00 at Walmart (which makes me a little mad because I don't like shopping at Walmart).
Shoot! That is one of the clippers I used and it didn't work on my dog's hair. Maybe it is because their hair is so soft.