Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old November 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM

Question Weird Behavior-cat

Hi, I'm looking for some advice or suggestions. I have a 6/7 year old calico cat who has become almost child like. She literally sleeps on me, she climbs up me to sit on my chest and shoulder and cries or meows until she's in my arms. Is something wrong with her or is this just a behavior thing?
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Live well, laugh often

Anytime you see significant behaviour changes in a cat it is a very good idea to have a full vet visit done. The changes could be a sign of issues like thyroid or other medical conditions.

Is there any other significant lifestyle changes that could have triggered this change?
Old November 13th, 2010, 11:20 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Has your kitty always acted this way, started doing over a period of time, or is this something that has developed suddenly? As TeriM stated, it would be a good idea to take the kitty in for a complete check up in any case to rule out a medical reason. If indeed it has happened suddenly then yes, a vet visit most definitely is in order.
It is possible your kitty is suffering with separation anxiety. Here are a couple of sites for you to read. Maybe they will help you figure it out. As noted they also recommend a vet visit.
http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2174&aid=2372

http://www.petplace.com/cats/separat...ats/page1.aspx

http://www.manhattancats.com/Article...n_anxiety.html

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 14th, 2010, 01:50 PM

Are there any new changes in the environment, that may be making the kitty extra sensitive? New cat or dog in the neighborhood, new friends coming by to visit? Some extra TLC makes everyone feel better, hope it's nothing serious! Good luck, chris & crew
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Catlover2

Barring any medical issue, she just sounds to me like a cuddling "velcro" cat. Enjoy!