Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 14th, 2008, 03:07 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm still going to coax her with the broth, rainbow. She's definitely not up to her normal water intake and I sure don't want her to get a UTI because she's not peeing! So tomorrow we start with the broth and see if we can't get her out to pee 5 or 6 times!
I hope she likes it.
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:19 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Hazel I was wondering if you would be able to use a little cortesone cream. You could put it on where there isn't any open wounds to help with the itching, without irritating the drainage. Just my
Old January 14th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Senior Contributor

for lots of pee
It looks awful,but still better than the bloody ooozy stuff

Luba,it's soooo nice to see you back helping out again
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Half Way To Crazy

I'm sooo glad that things are looking up!!

keep it up Ridge

and her nose really looks alot better....
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Remembering Lukka

Great news about the peeing and the pictures show so much improvement
I was also wondering if you could put cream on the parts of her nose that don't have infection in them
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Hazel I was wondering if you would be able to use a little cortesone cream. You could put it on where there isn't any open wounds to help with the itching, without irritating the drainage. Just my
I was wondering, too--but forgot to ask the vet this morning. My feeling is that it wouldn't help--the scabs are pretty thick and I doubt the cortisone would penetrate far enough to help the itching. I made a note so next time I call the vet, I should remember to ask...

She's not had a pain pill at all today and is resting comfortably, though--so maybe the worst of the itching is over. She's also peed twice already and (halleluyah!) is drinking water normally! I'm still treating her with the chicken stock, which she loves, though--that was a great idea, rainbow!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
Great news about the peeing and the pictures show so much improvement
I was also wondering if you could put cream on the parts of her nose that don't have infection in them
She had a little crack in the uninfected leather of her nose so I was rubbing a little vaseline on it and it went away! One downside of creams is that they usually have a scent--and that means the rest of the Pack moves in to lick it off! So if the vet thinks cortisone cream would work, I'll have to put up a gate to keep them separated until it's absorbed.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Remembering Lukka

I have some magic formula here to make things all better

Old January 14th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Remembering Lukka

Ooooopppppppppp's........shoot, that's the wrong potion.......I'll be back

Last edited by Lukka'sma; January 14th, 2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:39 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

LOL too funny, hazel how bout warm water with a little bit of baking soda in it, it works in a pinch on hives. Still think the cortesone would be better, the one I have is from Walmart(equate) it doesn't seem to have a smell to it.
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:16 PM
-

Glad the peeing is back to normal.

What about that stuff SARAH mentioned for itching? Did you ever check into it? I can't remember the name of it at the moment but perhaps Madame Hazel can.
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
I have some magic formula here to make things all better

Quote:
Ooooopppppppppp's........shoot, that's the wrong potion.......I'll be back
thanks for the laughs, LM!!!

Actually, aslan, the scabs are starting to separate on their own, now--like dry skin...sort of flaking off. She actually let me touch her nose today! It still seems to itch a bit, and we can't take the DEC off, but she's much more comfy. I'd hate to put anything on it at this point because it seems to be healing pretty quickly on its own! And the vet recommends leaving it dry to prevent any other infection getting started under the scab.

rainbow, , not only does madame hazel not remember the name of the stuff, but we took a poll and none of us remember Sarah suggesting anti-itch stuff. We've been under a lot of stress here. I looked through this thread for Sarah's post, but there doesn't seem to be one. Did she post it in the TJT?

Old January 14th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Darn, I wish I knew if you can get this stuff in the US (or here for that matter) it's a herbal disinfectant that also heals sores really well, even large burn sores heal without any scarring! Maybe on Google we can find out ... it's a Swiss product, called SOLVAROME (think there's an e at the end) and the original thing is a sort of oily liquid. Smells nice too, with the herbs. I know they now also make creams, but for sores the original stuff is the best! Sounds like something that would fix Ridge's nose right up!

and this is what rainbow posted Trying the other way.....Solvarome

http://www.sunrisehealth.ca/products.php
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I do remember that post! I'll have to look at that again. Thanks, breeze...and rainbow!

Old January 14th, 2008, 10:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hmmmm...I'm still a little leery of putting something water-based on the scabs to soften them up and allow bacteria to grow again. Maybe this kind of stuff would be better on the tender skin once the scabs come off? Course at that point, I could go with unscented cortisone...might be a lot easier to get and cheaper, too.

I think I'll wait and see what the skin is like underneath that black crust. It's not going to be a permanent scab, I can see that already. It's about 3 mm thick and is lifting off the healing tissue below. There's actually hair growing out of the healing skin under the thick scabs! That blows me away, but I'm happy it is--a bald nose is an unprotected nose.

Old January 14th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Hope the nose turns out to look like this...

nice and healthy

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Senior Contributor

or you can pick a nose lol

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The Ye Olde New Snozz Shoppe! When Ridge gets up tomorrow we'll do a little browsing and see if she can find a model she likes! Thanks, Shaykeija!

Old January 14th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
or you can pick a nose lol
Don't pick her nose Hazel . That's a disgusting habit to teach her .
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:18 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Don't pick her nose Hazel . That's a disgusting habit to teach her .

I do love the Sibe nose best though.
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:21 AM
-

Glad Ridge is starting to feel better.

And some more healing fairy dust....

Old January 15th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Addicted to puppy

Hazel, I wouldn't put anything on her nose without consulting with your vet first. It probably is best to keep doing what you are doing and since it is healing just let it run its course. If you want to soften the scabs, neosporin (triple antibiotic) might be ok, but I think it is probably best to stick with the compresses (ideally with saline) and leave it open to air. Glad she is feeling better and SUPER GLAD that she is peeing!!!!!!

RIP Shade I will never forget your sweet smile
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I hope she likes it.
The trick will be to get her to drink regular water again when all the stock is gone. I know her...she can be persnickety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Don't pick her nose Hazel. That's a disgusting habit to teach her .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Glad Ridge is starting to feel better.

And some more healing fairy dust....

Thanks, rainbow. She's even less itchy today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredy View Post
Hazel, I wouldn't put anything on her nose without consulting with your vet first. It probably is best to keep doing what you are doing and since it is healing just let it run its course. If you want to soften the scabs, neosporin (triple antibiotic) might be ok, but I think it is probably best to stick with the compresses (ideally with saline) and leave it open to air. Glad she is feeling better and SUPER GLAD that she is peeing!!!!!!
I've been trying to just leave them alone at this point. They're so thick and crusty that I don't think anything would really soften them--they're beginning to flake off in chunks. There is actually hair growing underneath, which is a great relief to us, but the skin is also very pitted. :sad: I'm only using the compresses under the nose where there is still infection to be drawn--do you think I should still use them on the scabs as well, shredy? I was afraid that it would make the skin around the edges a little dryer and therefore itchier

She's doing a lot of peeing these days. She thinks the chicken stock is heaven's Gift to LadyRidge. She still takes water once in a while, so maybe she's not equating the two things...which would be good since what heaven giveth, heaven planneth on taking away in another day or so.

Old January 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM
-

No wonder you forgot about the TJT....you posted everything twice.
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
The trick will be to get her to drink regular water again when all the stock is gone. I know her...she can be persnickety!

Thanks, rainbow. She's even less itchy today!

I've been trying to just leave them alone at this point. They're so thick and crusty that I don't think anything would really soften them--they're beginning to flake off in chunks. There is actually hair growing underneath, which is a great relief to us, but the skin is also very pitted. :sad: I'm only using the compresses under the nose where there is still infection to be drawn--do you think I should still use them on the scabs as well, shredy? I was afraid that it would make the skin around the edges a little dryer and therefore itchier

She's doing a lot of peeing these days. She thinks the chicken stock is heaven's Gift to LadyRidge. She still takes water once in a while, so maybe she's not equating the two things...which would be good since what heaven giveth, heaven planneth on taking away in another day or so.
Glad the hair is growing back in. Maybe the pittiness (is that a word? ) will go away later.

If you take the chicken broth away now and freeze it you'll see if she goes back to her regular drinking ways. Then you'll have some handy for later if she doesn't.
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

aaargghhhhh! I keep losing my connection as I'm posting, so as soon as I get it back, I try posting again... Nice to know it works even if I'm not connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba View Post
I'm itching my nose just looking at it, my goodness me.
So it was from rubbing the nose awhile back, but do you know what triggered the rubbing episode? About the garlic, I can't give you specifics as I think you'll have to try a little at a time, but I wouldn't go overboard on it. You could roast a whole garlic bulb and then put 1/2 a large or one small clove in with the yogurt once a day and see how that goes. You'll be getting lovely kisses LOL

Oh here's another thought, does she lick her nose a lot?
And what about the food bowl is it plastic/glass/steel?
It was separation anxiety--she was in her crate while we were gone for a few hours and she rubbed her nose on the door or the sides every time she barked. It was pretty raw when we got home. But I'm pretty sure it's incidental rubbing, as opposed to rubbing because it itched or got stung.

I like doggy breath! Garlic will just give it more spice!

And her bowls are steel, so it's likely not a dermatitis from the bowls.

She just has never had as robust an immune system as the other dogs, poor dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
I am so glad to hear Ridge is feeling abit better
Me, too! Thanks, Toonces!

Old January 15th, 2008, 01:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, and that's a great idea about the cubes!

Old January 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I am so glad to read that Ridge is healing well. Even if there is a little scarring. We love them no matter what they look like. And the hair is growing back so maybe you won't even be able to see scars. and lots of kitty to you and Ridge.
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, 14+! It'll help that Ridge has never been very vain. The Pack won't even notice the scars And, yes--neither hubby nor I care. We just want her healed!

Old January 15th, 2008, 01:52 PM
-

Chase would love to have the beautiful Lady Ridge for his cyber girlfriend.....they can compare scars.