Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:02 AM

Question Kitten with bad habits

I am so glad I found this forum... My kitten SpaZz has a few serious bad habits that I have not figured out how to break or If I can break them or if he will just outgrow them. Well, he is 5 1/2 months old. and lives up to his name. But what bothers me is he will be in a totally different part of the house and out of no where come running jump up and bite...and when I say bite I mean he will draw blood. and of course I tell him no in a rather angry voice and he will look at me as though he did nothing wrong and I cannot help but forgive him. But that is not all of it. If I pick him up he will be purring and kissing (licking my hands) and all the sudden latch on and start scratching me...once again drawing blood. I do not have any idea where to start on breaking this bad habit or if it can be broken. I love this kitten with all my heart...and really need some answers. he is getting older and stronger and these bites and scratches are becoming pretty painful. I have tried everything ...as in telling him no sternly, he has tons of different kinds of toys (alot of them on strings) which I make a point of playing with him usually every night around bedtime, he has a scratching post, and a cat tree that goes to the ceiling..so he is not bored...or shouldn't be. Has fresh food and water at all times. Can someone pls help me? Thank you

Sabrina~SpaZz~
Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:26 AM

Might be of help !

We have been adopted by two tabby tom cats ( I say adopted because with cats unlike dogs they choose you, not you them ) It sounds to me like he is stalking you which is very natural for him having said that if you have him neutured he will calm down a whole lot ours dropped this behaviour after having this procedure .Also catnip has a very calming effect on them we find you can get catnip treats .
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Stewart is right! This is normal kitten behavior, as annoying as it is. Since he has no other kittens to play with, he is using you!

I just went through all this with my youngest cat. Try talking on the phone with a kitten clamped on your arm! OUCH!

When he bites you, just freeze and say "AH AH!!!!" When he lets go and is nice, you can continue playing with him. NEVER EVER play with him with your hands, but use toys on sticks or strings.

Don't worry, he'll grow out of it. Right now he has tons of energy and is learning all his stalking and attacking techniques.

You could always get another kitty for him to play with.
Old July 27th, 2004, 02:59 PM

My kitten Tucker was kind of like that. Very nutty, and stuff. I recently got a new kitten Wendel. Tucker is 5 months, and Wendel is 9 wks now. They play and go nuts with each other, and get along great. I have to watch them sometimes as Tucker is almost 8 lbs, and Wendel only 1 lb. So, the size miss match is tough on Wendel. Mind you he lets Tucker know when he's either had enough, or Tucker has been too rough with him.

Good luck!