Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 31st, 2010, 09:12 PM

Peewee the Terrorist - One step at a time

I will make this Peewee's new training log.

For those who don't already know, Peewee is a 4 yo Chihuahua that has had very little training. He was used to running the house. He wasn't totally house trained either. He would pee/poo in the house and/or his kennel. He was kind of dropped into my lap. My SO's parents have raised P from a few months old, and when I moved into SO's house in March P moved in with us and my large senior dog. My SO started working out of town in November, so P was dumped on me to look after. Luckily my well trained dog was the rock of stability! Sadly my dog passed on Jan 4th. Now's it just me and Peewee the Terrorist! Now that it's just me and him I won't stand for his lack of training. Doggie boot camp for P!!

P would scream and bite if he was forced to do anything he didn't want to do (like clipping his toenails). He barked often when he heard any little noise, and wouldn't quiet when told. If told to sit he might sit, but only for a couple seconds. No understanding of stay, lay down, off, any of that. He was very jumpy. He was generally quite rude.

So far Peewee is doing really well. I can clip his toenails without a growl or scream. He doesn't bark very often now, and quiets quickly when told to. He is sitting and staying for his food, and to be let in and out of the house. He has learned he can't invite himself onto laps or the furniture. If he is being good, and is in a calm state I will call him over, and pick him up onto my lap for snuggles. He gives hugs now too when I tell him to where he snuggles his forehead into my neck. He's actually turning into a dog! Even though I insist he's more cat than dog.

The only thing I am having trouble with is his barking when kenneled or when left in the car. When in the car he will bark the entire time I am out of the car. He will bark for 45-60 minutes incessantly in his kennel before giving up. Doesn't matter if I leave his favourite chewie in there (Bully Stick). I leave the radio on for him. I think he's just mad he's left alone or possibly separation anxiety. It seems more like he's mad.

I was thinking of getting some sort of bark collar. SO said P has a bark collar that emits a noise when he barks, and apparently it doesn't work at all on P. I was thinking about a citronella collar, but I am worried about using it in a confined space (small kennel). I don't think anyone on here would advocate a shock collar.

Any ideas? How can I stop his incessant barking when I'm not there to control it?

Last edited by Myka; January 31st, 2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Added background info
Old January 31st, 2010, 09:29 PM
You can call me DOG!

Is Peewee's kennel covered (with a blanket or dark sheet) and centralized in a space where you would sit for the evening?

There are so many training techniques out there but a couple things that helped us along was to cover the crate with a dark blanket and leaving it central (in the livingroom).

While training, we would put a peanut butter filled bone into the cage and close the door! Poor Mollie was on the outside! She would bark to get in and we would finally open the door to let her in to savor the peanut butter filled bone inside--with door open. Of course this was while we're home but it made her very comfortable going in and out of the crate.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old January 31st, 2010, 09:32 PM

You cover the crate so they can't see out at all? Or leave the door uncovered? His crate is covered now except the door, and is right beside the couch. He does go in the kennel very easily. I grab a treat and he goes running into his kennel. He also sleeps in his kennel at night, and doesn't make a peep during the night.
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:09 AM

Myka,

So happy to hear P is doing better! To be honest, right from the start I had hoped you were going to keep the little fella and work with him, as I knew you and P could achieve a good relationship over time (even if he is a terrorist haha!).

I've never had many issues myself with my dogs barking in their crates, but it sounds as if he only does it when he is alone (you mentioned he doesn't do it at night). Maybe try doing short time periods where he is alone in his crate (i.e. 5-10 mins), then building up the time and of course rewarding him as he gets better. :

I have tried the citronella collar with my one dog as an alternative to the shock collar. It worked great, but I'm not sure about in a kennel. I know even when it was on him in the house it was a pretty strong odor, not sure if that would really work that well in a confined space like a car with limited air movement?!

Good luck!!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:52 AM

Hey thanks Cassie! P won't freak out for as long as I'm in the house. I could crate him all day and he won't bark until I leave the house. He won't even start barking for about 5 minutes. If I try to correct him he will stop barking the moment I open the door. Ya, I was thinking the citronella collar is more of an outdoor thing.
Old February 6th, 2010, 06:28 PM

So today I was making the bed, and I notice that Peewee has been urinating repeatedly on my pure white bed skirt! I paid $300 for that set, and I am not a rich person. I saved up for quite some time because it is a gorgeous pure white embroidered set that I fell in love with. That little !!!!! It looks at though he peed on it 10-12 times with lots of it dripping down onto the carpet. Here I thought he quit peeing in there, but he just changed spots. I have now closed all the doors in the house.

Luckily the stain came out in the wash with Shout and bleach (not a very healthy treatment for the fabric!!). I was so mad at the little prick I could have shot him. Lucky for him I controlled that urge and screamed at the ceiling instead.

SO is home too, so P is acting like a little jerk, and not listening to me. SO is following the rules for the most part. I have to give SO credit because he is trying, but he often just doesn't notice things that P is doing wrong. Like he doesn't notice P is whining before he picks him up, which encourages P to whine to be picked up! This week, I'm back at square one with P.
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:47 AM

Aw Myka...

I'm so sad to hear about PeeWee's peeweeing... sorry, couldn't resist.

That does really, really suck though, and I can appreciate your feelings of wanting to shoot the little !!

Keep working at it! I know you feel like you have taken a step back in his progress, but remember you took five forward so your still ahead of the game! Sounds like your SO AND P both need some training still, but it will come! Keep hanging in there!

Keep us posted! I pray for you daily that you and P will achieve a harmonious relationship!

BTW, how is your dog search going? Not sure if you'd be willing to drive to Lethbridge, but I will keep you in mind if we ever get a bully breed in to the LHS.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old February 7th, 2010, 09:52 AM

Hi Cassie, thanks for your words of encouragement.

I am looking around at dogs, but not seriously yet. I want to wait for spring when the snow is melted. I would drive to Lethbridge for a dog for sure.
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Investigative researcher

I feel frustrated for you, I know you are trying hard, and it is uphill all the way. I think I could not have P in my house unless he wore a belly band and a long leash! I so wish people would pay more attention to what they are doing with a pup.
Old February 7th, 2010, 02:20 PM

Myka, reading your posts about peewee is like watching the olympics. Just when we think Team PeeWee is about to take the gold, something upsets the victory. Bummer!

For starters, kudos for all that you accomplished. Don't feel like you're starting from scratch now that SO is home; peewee is just testing the boundaries now that a new person is there (kind of like what kids do). Over time, he'll get the message that the rules are the rules, no matter whose there.

The incessant barking in the kennel is a challenge. Frequently that's a sign of separation anxiety. I wonder if this could work: when you have a morning or afternoon (or even a few hours) off, try kenneling him for certain blocks of time, starting with small time increments, like 5 or 10 minutes, and go outside. If he doesn't bark, come back in the house, and give him a reward (maybe something he rarely gets but highly values). Then increase the time steadily, over the next few training blocks. The idea here is that he hopefully will associate his crate with something positive, not just the place he goes when he can't be with you.

Go Team PeeWee!