Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

How to Handle Neighbour's Barking Dog?

It barks for hours on end, mostly at night. It barks till we hear it get hoarse and the bark gets rough. I think sometimes they put an electric collar on, turn it up high and shock the living daylights out of it because we hear it scream. I'm not sure if it's a bark collar or a collar they control because it screams for minutes at a time and usually during daylight hours, not at night.

The trouble is, I don't know which dog it is, which neighbour it is. I think it might be the poor dog I saw lying outside in the rain. That's north of me. But one neighbour I asked thinks it's a dog to the west and another neighbour thinks it's a dog which is east of me. The sound must bounce off houses and seem to come from different directions. Plus my own dog would happily lie outside in the rain so that's not a good indicator.

Obviously I can't call the By-law people about the wrong dog. None of us would be very happy to be wrongly accused.

I thought of maybe putting a request about barking dogs in our community Facebook page. Someone has put one in about dog poop left in front of her house, which is a school bus stop. Past experience though, tells me that people that let their dog behave in those ways aren't influenced by such requests, they don't give a sh1t what their neighbour's think. Sorry, but the swear word seems to fit here very well.

Any ideas?
Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

You could try calling the ACO and say you think a dog is being abused. Have you tried going out a night to see if you can tell where the dog live? That is want I would do then I would call the ACO to report a dog being abused. The poor dog
Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:48 PM

I agree with the above. If you know the dog is screaming I doubt it' screaming for no reason. I would investigate and where the dog lives and ask the owners. But that's just me.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 07:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I know how tough it can be to pin-point exactly where a barking dog resides. And Animal Control or by-law officers really can't do much until they have an address and description of the dog. I dealt with a non-stop barker that was right across the street from me, but he was barking from inside an apartment (window was open) and it took weeks for me to figure out which apartment he was in (I resorted to casing out the whole complex with binoculars). He would only bark when his people weren't there, which unfortunately was quite often. Eventually learned the pup was an Australian Shepherd that had previously lived on a farm. No wonder he barked! Poor guy, no longer had a job to do, and so much pent up energy with no avenue to release it. I never saw his "owners" take him for a walk.

We started with a note in the mailbox, just politely saying that "in case you didn't know....your dog seems lonely and barks all the time when you're away". 'Cause lots of times, the people truly don't know. I even provided links to websites so they could research how to deal with it. Nothing changed. Left another note warning them that I would call by-law if they didn't get a handle on the situation. Nada. Finally called by-law: they opened a file and wanted me to keep a log of the times and duration of the barking. Submitted that to them a week or so later and they paid the people a visit. Dog stopped barking for a couple weeks (I think they took him somewhere), but then eventually started up again. Another call to by-law. Fast forward: people and dog no longer live across the street. Not sure if the landlord evicted them, or what happened, but I truly hope the dog found a better home where he could get the exercise and attention he needed.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
I agree with the above. If you know the dog is screaming I doubt it' screaming for no reason. I would investigate and where the dog lives and ask the owners. But that's just me.
I was told by the ACO in my city I should not talk to a person about their dog b/c is could be risky . I should call him an let hi deal with . People can get very ugly when you tell what to do with their dogs.
Old September 24th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, no barking or screaming lately. It's hard to find out where it lives. The screaming is mostly daytime but doesn't last long enough for me to get out and find the source. The barking is mostly at night and this is rural. I'd need a flashlight and then any dog might bark at someone creeping around at night and I might get hauled in by Police myself for skulking around. The place I suspect is back off the road.

We had supper last night with the neighbours who think the barking comes from the west. Now they don't think so but, like us, can't pinpoint the source.

I agree, it's only polite to inform the owners ourselves, if we could find the owners. But I have had very disappointing results from such owners in the past. And it could be dangerous.

Nobody likes the FaceBook idea?