Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old December 5th, 2005, 11:38 PM

Hello and can anyone give advice?

Hi, my name is Peggy and I'm a new member We have a beautiful boxer boy, Griffey, that is very ill. We have taken him to the vet, but I don't think they are helping him. He is a member of our family and it is so hard to see him in such pain and confusion. Griffey is 8 years old and began having seizures 6 months ago; he was given a small dosage of phenobarbitol and his seizure only happened every 10 to 26 days. Then the end of August he had two in one day, another 5 days later, then none for a month...he went another month then had two in two days. The vet put him on potassium bromide the day before Thanksgiving; while in the vet's office he suffered separation anxiety and they had to put him on oxygen and an I.V. He recovered and was like a puppy for five days, then when two of our girls went back to college he began declining. He paces until he collapses from exhaustion and while he's pacing he stumbles and/or falls constantly. The blood panel was normal and only two slight calcium deposits show on his back...he no longer wags his tail, greets us or plays with his toys - all of which he did enthusiastically! He is now on Metacam, Denosyl, Phenobarbitol, and Potassium Bromide and still in pain and unresponsive. The vet told my husband today to give it a chance, but it kills us to see him this way. Are we expecting too much? Should we get another opinion? Please, please help us!
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor you....

Can they not increase his pain meds while they wait?

Do not hesitate to get a second opinion, even for nothing else than your own peace of mind.

My sister's dog (GSD with epilepsy) had great success in consulting a neurologist. She shed a lot of light on the subject--much more than the regular vet.

Good luck and hugs to Griffey
Old December 12th, 2005, 02:02 PM

Unhappy

Peggy welcome. twinmommy is right a second opinion is your right. And don't be affraid to get one. So sorry for your puppy.

Spelling is an option