Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM

Giant Schnauzer - Apartment?

Just wanted to get a few educated opinions. If properly exercised, would a Giant Schnauzer do well and thrive in an apartment?

Thanks.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Animal Lover

Although I have never owned a Giant Schnauzer, I do know how big they can get. Even if properly exercised they do require a lot of space. I personally would not recommend a Giant Schnauzer for an apartment. A small to medium size dog would be a better choice.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:13 PM

I don't know much about them, but I do know they are an active breed and can become very protective if not properly socialized. Maybe an older one would be okay in an apartment, rescue groups might have a dog that would be ok in that situation. Every dog is an individual.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I am not even a dog-owner,but I don't think size matters that much,as long as the dog gets plenty of exercise and love.
Many dogs living in houses with yards,often end up in the yard by themselves,living in an apt,the owner HAS to take the dog for a run.
They are beautiful dogs,I saw one a few months ago,not very common dogs.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
Senior Contributor

i have 3 dogs , which yes is alot for an apartment, and they arent considered good "apartment dogs" (2 huskies and a spaniel) but we dedicate a ton of time to working them out (today we were ona 4 hour walk!!!) i think its fine no matter the size but you do have to meet their energy requirements, which i think an interactive walk is better than just letting them in a back yard anyways.
there are definate draw backs to apartment life style (ie when im sick i still have to get up and walk my dogs everytime they need to use the washroom, times like that i would love a back yard)
luckily my dogs are too much of barkers unless someone is knocking at our door, so thats a big bonus.
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Giant Schnauzers start to exhibit adult behaviour at 3 years of age. More of them end up in shelters due to lack of exercise and lack of knowledge of the breed. They are headstrong and definitely not a dog for a non pack leader type person. They require a firm yet kind hand. They must know at all times who is the boss in the house. They need tons of stimulation and exercise. I would never consider placing one with a first time dog owner.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually one of my co-workers has 3.All three are titled in ScH III.She has raved about this breed.Actually almost everyday.LOL..She carries their pic in her wallet and has their pics in her locker.LOL....She says they were easy to train and are very loyal.But you must remember this is a working breed.They need their exercise.They can't be cooped up all day alone.They will get very bored.

I don't think that size really matters in an apt.A friend of mine was living in an apt with her Dane Jazz,and he did fine in it.A few friends of mine live in a dog friendly apt(16 floors +PH)there is every size of dogs in it.From Chi's to Setters to Danes.

As long as they get enough exercise and are taken out,they are fine.

I will ask Laura her thoughts on them living in an apt.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post

I will ask Laura her thoughts on them living in an apt.
Please do, I would love to hear what she has to say.

Thanks,
Matty.
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Matty.

Well I talked to Laura.She says they do well in Apts.Her parents live in a Condo and have a 6 year old male.Guess this breed runs in the family.LOL

She suggests that if you are looking into getting one,research the breed first.Learn about the temperment(which she says they have a great one)..The health issues and grooming.The are pretty easy to train,and training should start right away,as with any breed.And again with any breed,socializing is a must.

She also suggests to just talk to breeders about the breed.This way you can learn more.

So do your research first to see if this is the breed you want.

I grew up with GSD's.I was much younger.But I knew I wanted to own one of my own.I went to dog shows,talked to breeders.Well at 17 I had my forst GSD.Cujo was with me for 13 years.Since the I have owned two more.Oh how I love this breed....
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:15 PM

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for the great advice, especially Mona. But after some research and talking to a few breeders, I'm opting to pass on the Giant Schnauzer. Honestly, this is just too much dog for me to handle -

http://www.akc.org/breeds/giant_schnauzer/video.cfm

I'll be speaking to some Standard Schnauzer Breeders later next week. I just love this breed.

Cheers,
Matty.
Old April 27th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

It is wonderful to see someone decide that the breed that they think they love might be too much for them! So often we see people get the dog anyway and then a year later they are rationalizing and blaming someone else for a dog that is aggressive and obnoxious because they didn't do their homework or listen to the experts!

Those working dogs are a handful and not for the faint of heart.

Good luck on your search for an ethical breeder. Don't forget to do all of your homework as far as genetics issues and such!
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
It is wonderful to see someone decide that the breed that they think they love might be too much for them!
I totaly agree.You don't see that often.

Matty,the Giant may be to much,but the Standard may not be..

I know how it is to love a breed and want one...

I grew up with the GSD...And knew I wanted one of my own.Well,I have raised 3.This is the breed I love.
Old April 28th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Standard Schnauzer info

Hi -I'm getting in on this one a little late. My dog (Cagney) is a 7yr old Standard Schnauzer. It is so important to research the breed! Standard Schnauzers are absolutely wonderful, but this dog is a high energy working dog. She needs a off leash(preferable) run every day. The key here is she needs to be worked and then, settles nicely for the day. Very active puppies. The Standard is a real watchdog. She watches and listens for any breaches in the perimeter of her territory. They will instinctively bark unless deprogrammed from a puppy (i think this might be hard)This quality could make it difficult in an apartment- thats not to say if a pup grew up in one and understood the noises of the building--maybe it could work.

Standards- very devoted to family, cautious with strangers. Cagney was very socialized. They are described at the Westminister Dog Show as, "dog with a human brain". They really can be stubborn because they know so much, or think they do!!
Sweet and loving companions!!!!!!! Love my dog and my friends Standard. Absolute athletes. Can compete with other working and sporting dogs. At the dog park Cagney always shocks people because they didn't know this breed is so agile.She loves to swim...crazy for it!

I will always have a Standard because they have so many outstanding and wonderful qualities. I would have to say she has been a handleful until about 6yrs. She is now in those glory days when you can see the benefits of all your hard training. They are soooo worth it!!!!!

Biggest issues 1) need exercise 2) need consistent disipline (re stubborn)
3) guard dog mentality-barking to protect family
Best qualities 1) personality supreme 2)devoted to family 3)sweet natured

Good Luck

Old April 28th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Hi Crazydays,

How is cagney with other dogs? Do you find her to be dog aggressive, or does she get on just fine?
Old April 28th, 2007, 04:47 PM

Hi.
Cagney interacts very well with every dog she has met. At the dog park she hangs out with a doberman, australian shepard, lots of labs- she loves them to run and she chases behind. I am very proud to say she is always 2nd in speed behind the doberman-about the same speed as a australian shepard. She is excellent with other dogs. No aggression such as growling or biting.

I love her alot!
Attached Images

Old April 28th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty View Post
Hi Crazydays,

How is cagney with other dogs? Do you find her to be dog aggressive, or does she get on just fine?
While the dog's temperment is important in reguards to aggression - I think if you ask you will find that Cagney was socialized plenty as a pup.
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:28 PM

Hi LavenderRott
Yes, Cagney was socialized very well as a pup!