Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Pet Stories - anecdotes - jokes

Old December 26th, 2008, 06:52 PM

please help - am I crazy

While at my brotherinlaws house xmas eve a cat jump on my lap. My 8year old nephew said the cat was evil and my sisterinlaw said he had been known to bite or scratch. The cat had come to thier busy household after another elderly relitive had died and it's having trouble settling in.
The cat came up to me purring and jumped in my lap where it sat calmly for about 10 minuts while I pet it. Then he got up and tried to eat some food off the end table next to me. His hind legs were still on my lap. I picked the cat up to put him on the floor and he bit me rather badly. Well that didn't even bother me. Those things happen. What did bother me is that the cat is not up to date on his rabies and he is allowed out door in a rural area and has obvious fighting wounds. His booster was due almost a year ago. I went to the doctors to get a tetnus booster and antiboitic and they are required to notify board of health. Now the cat must be quarentined for 10 days.

The big problem is that everyone is mad at ME. They say they warned me it might bite. I am not asking them for anything to cover medical cost, I have been around rescued animals befor and there is a chance of being bitten. But why would you have a cat who is alowed to run loose outside and you know it gets nevous and bites and not keep his shots upto date. There were allot of people in that house that night including kids. I saw the cat jump up on a few other laps including my husbands. Now they are very angry with me and feel I should maybe pay for the quarentine since I alowed it to bite me.

Please tell me am I crazy????
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Geek Club CEO

I think it was an unfortunate situation for all involved. I think your family made a mistake allowing a cat known to be aggressive/biter to be roaming free amidst a large family gathering, and to not have vaccinations up to date (or at the very least a vet note saying it wasn't required).

I probably would have done the same thing as you (ie moved the cat, mostly without thinking, 'cause, well, I'm inclined to move cats that are misbehaving :shrug) The only thing you might have done differently is maybe just stand up to get the cat off your lap....or maybe told a wee white lie at the doc's and said a stray bit you.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:23 PM

I started out with the stray story and was told that I then must have the rabies shots and tell animal where to go looking for the cat. They would try to collect or trap any "srays" in the area. At that point I owned up to knowing the owners and now I don't need shots unless the cat shows symptoms in 10 days.
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Geek Club CEO

Well, you did all you could then. Maybe having to shell out the Q fees will make them think twice before letting the cat loose during parties
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)