Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 17th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Ragdoll Mom

Question Need Help with Cat Food

Hello!

Firstly thanks to everyone on this site for sharing their info, I have learned soo much, however still have a lot to go!

No doubt by reading posts I have learned that Orijen is a highy recommended food. My cats 3 ragdolls love the hard stuff however my vet insists they need wet food. My one male goes through bouts of constipation (haven't figured out if it has to do with food changes but that seems to be around the times that it happens) with all the chaos lately I made a dumb mistake and switched them to Royal Canin Intense Hairball (they were eating the Eukanuba Vet Low Residue) as well to Techni-Cal Natural Blend wet food(were eating Iams/Eukanuba wet foods). Samson seems to be getting constipated again, however I haven't fully switched so it might just be able to pull off a switch to Orijen (any comments on how I should go about this???) What type of wet food would fit well with Orijen? Do I even need wet food? I am soo confused with what I read here and what my vet tells me about nutrition and feeding. I just want to do what's right for them. We do have ALOT of hair with 3 rags, the food so far has done nothing for coats and shedding. I would appreciate any comments anyone would have to help me make some good decisions for a change
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Kitty Consort

Hi,
I have 2 persians and one ragdoll, and fed only dry kibble until one male became seriously ill with a blockage.

In the 4 years since I introduced wet food to their diet, no repeats of this.

So I believe cats need at least some tinned foods daily for a healthy diet.

There are many varieties of very good tinned foods, any of which should be a good complement to the Orijen dry.
Merricks, Innova, Wellness and Felidae are just a few that are highly regarded as good tinned food. I rotate a few brands of the tinned, to offer variety, mixing food for a gradual adjustment.

Good luck with your search, I'm sure you will find one that you will be happy with and your cats will enjoy.

Do you have any photos posted of your raggies, btw? I would so love to see them!
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Ragdoll Mom

Thanks for the Info

Thanks for responding Shamrock, it's soo hard on a good day to get this right never mind with the pressure of the recall right now. I sent you a message regarding the ragdoll photo's I only have them posted on Kodak right now, I haven't figure out how to post pictures here yet.
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:26 PM
-

Cats don't normally drink enough of water so it's a good idea to supplement with canned food to help prevent crystals from forming in their urine.

Orijen is an excellent kibble. If they won't eat it then Felidae, Innova, Go Natural and Wellness are also good ones to try. They also make canned foods.

Whatever canned foods you try make sure not to use any cuts and gravy style right now that contain "wheat gluten" because of the recall. Also watch out for rice "protein concentrate" in any kibble or canned.