Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 20th, 2009, 11:50 AM

Papillon was ill

Hello, as you can see I am new here. Very pleased to meet everyone.

Our Papillon (will be 2 next month) Started being ill 3 weeks ago. He vomited once on Sunday night and agin on Monday night. By Tuesday he was just laying around. Not interested in anything. We brought him to his vet. Blood workup showed he had high level of Amylase & TCO2. He was diagnosed as a mild case of Pancriatitis, and also a sore throat. He was on his meds for 5 days and started to act better.

He took a u-turn this past weekend. After a stay at his vets, another complete blood workup & barium xrays. The blood tests came back negative, his pancreatitis is cured, the vet discovered he has Pyloric Stenosis. This is a muscular valve that goes between his stomach and small intestines. It stays closed to allow the stomach to fill up. And then it opens and closes by the stomach contractions and allows the food to go into the small intestines. It is 3 or 4 times thicker than it should be.

He also started shaking a lot. We are hoping the shaking goes away, when he is out of pain and stress. Also with such a small amount of food for a while we are thinking the shaking is that he is weak.

Yesterday afternoon, he had the operation for Pyloric Stenosis. Today he is still shaking, but he also has pain, stress and no food yet.

I am hoping someone on this forum may know if maybe the shaking is due to the pain, stress and weakness?

Thank you for any help.
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board.
Is your Papillon (we need a name) still at the vet's? I would hope so, after what sounds like major surgery.
If not, did the vet not brief you on aftercare? Have you talked to him/her about the shaking? I doubt if it is normal, unless he is a timid dog who tended to shake before this happened. The vet is there to answer your questions, don't be shy if something's going on you don't understand.
Please tell me he is on pain meds.
He has been through a huge trauma. TLC and a quiet environment will help.
If the vet says you can feed him, make sure it is soft and easily digested (no kibble), a small amount (a tablespoon) at a time. His digestive tract has taken a beating and probably can't handle large quantities or anything fibrous.
Let us know how he is doing. Handsome dog, btw.
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Thank you for the welcome. Radar, is still at the vets. His vet (at this time) doesn't know if the shaking is from the pain etc. This afternoon he is going to give Radar a little soft food.

Dr is as concerned as I am, however we are not sure of the illness causing it. Radar has always been outgoing. Even through the illness he tried to greet people. But I know he was in great pain and that did stress him out.

It is quite a mistery , other than the illness bringing it on. He has been on a low fat diet (wellness core), since the Pancreatitis was diagnosed. Vet put him on cephalexin 1 mg twice a day for the sore throat. and tramadol #10 1/4 tablet 3 times a day for the pancreas. When I talked to the vet after surgery he said he has him on new meds. I won't know them until he comes home.

I do know that he gets very upset when he is left alone, I work out of my house thus he is virtually never alone. Except 4 times since we got him for family holidays. And those were very upsetting to him. Ok so I spoil him... Being at the vets 4 times for long periods of time in the past 3 weeks, being poked and picked on. is causing stress.

I was hoping someone would have a clue.

Last edited by Conknet; February 20th, 2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope Radar recovers quickly! When will he get to come home?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 20th, 2009, 11:55 PM

Radar came home tonight. The shaking is still present. Tues we should have the Liver biopsy results.......
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:12 AM

Did the shaking only start after meds were given? Some dogs do not react well to all meds, and there are generally side effects to everything

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:36 AM

Thats a very good question. I believe they shaking and sickness started at the same time. But it is hard to say, as we got him to the vet asap, when this all started.

I will certainly ask.
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:53 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

At least he's home in familiar surrounds. That in itself will help speed his recovery.

Our dogs do tremble when they're feeling discomfort. Having just come home from surgery, that may well be why the shaking has continued. that as he heals, the trembling goes away.

for the liver biopsy results being good!

How is he doing this morning? Any change?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:43 AM

He still shakes. This morning he went in for 2 more shots, Pepcid AC and anti bacterial. He also will be starting his pills tomorrow. We are investigating White Shaker Syndrome. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/white-s...ome/page1.aspx All his tests are coming back normal. All of Radar's symptoms point to this as most likely the cause.

Last edited by Conknet; February 21st, 2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:07 PM

This may not have anything to do with your dog shaking--but please read my post that is #34 under the titled post called Please send positive vibes tomorrow---I think it is info. you should know about. Good luck with your dog!
This post is in the: Pet health-dog health-(etc) portion----scroll about half way down after you get in there and you will find the post called: Please send positive vibes tomorrow--there is a purple face with a frown at the left side of this post (It is hard to find things you are looking for in this forum)! My post (#34) is on the 2nd page.

Last edited by corky/max; February 21st, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conknet View Post
He still shakes. This morning he went in for 2 more shots, Pepcid AC and anti bacterial. He also will be starting his pills tomorrow. We are investigating White Shaker Syndrome. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/white-s...ome/page1.aspx All his tests are coming back normal. All of Radar's symptoms point to this as most likely the cause.
I vaguely remember reading about that syndrome before--probably on this site How mysterious!

If that turns out to be the cause, I hope Radar's case is one of those that spontaneously clears up!

Old February 21st, 2009, 01:19 PM

Too many meds??

I'm back again-----I know your dog is sick and may be in pain--but it still concerns me about all these medications and antibiotics---Your dog has been stressed out, not eating, is weak--immune system is compromised, problems with stomach, etc. That poor dog is being bombarded with possibly medication that could even make a well dog sick---Please read up on all the meds and antibiotics he has been on and what he is on now--Ask the vet for a copy of your dog's medical records and a list of all medications and antibiotics that he has had and getting now. And I wouldn't put too much stock in what your vet would tell you about the meds----LOOK it up for YOURSELF----Put name of each med in browser, example: Rimadyl/side effects etc.---Do each one separately. Is he drinking water--not getting dehydrated?? esp. if he is vomiting!!? It doesn't take much for a dog to get dehydrated!! Maybe you could boil some chicken (take all skin and as much fat off as you can)---in enough water (skinless chicken breasts would be the best--boneless even better but if has bones-make sure you get all the tiny pcs of bones out---strain the liquid to get all possible bones out. (You might want to put a couple tsps. of apple cider vinegar in this to help get some of the calcium into this broth you are getting from cooking the chicken in (that of course would only work if the chicken still had bones in it.) If there seems to be some fat left in this broth---Pour broth in a container (after it has cooled some ) You would of course already taken the pcs. of chicken out to cool separately! When broth has cooled enough to put in refrigerator--let it get colder and then skim any fat off the top if there is any there. In mean time, when chicken pcs. have cooled enough to handle--use your fingers to break up into appropriate size for your dog. Rewarm the broth to lukewarm (along with sm. pcs. of chicken) The main purpose here of course is to get some liquid into your dog but if he would eat the 'fine' pcs of chicken too--that would be a bonus! Again, I hope all goes well--Please keep us informed as to how your baby is doing. Will be hoping for you.

Came back--few more things----If you buy chiken breasts--please note amount of salt (sodium) in a serving--4oz. stated on the pkg. Perdue is a bad brand with a lot of salt added--and of course there are a lot of cheapies out there that do this too. Dogs need very, very little salt in their diet! And of course, you would not add any salt at all to what you are cooking here!

Did the vet, by chance rehydrate your dog inntravenously at all or if he thought it necessary--I would get info from him on all this if he hasn't told you anything about it.

Last edited by corky/max; February 21st, 2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old February 21st, 2009, 02:35 PM

He is on chicken breast , carrots and rice mix. As he has already had pancreatitis, he can not have much fats. The most is a total 7%. He can have the wellness core, but he does not want that.

His vet has done all the proper care. Including making sure he does not dehydrate.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:55 AM

I forgot to add my well wishes & for Radar to get better soon & the shaking stops on its own very soon.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying