Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Recipes for humans

Old February 18th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Boss-lady!

By request-Tzatziki!!

This recipe comes from The All New All Purpose Joy Of Cooking, orginally. I have adapted it slightly.

Ingredients:
2 cups yogurt (natural flavour, as thick as you can get it-Balkan style is good)
1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed or pressed
2-3 teaspoons white vinegar or lemon juice
2 teaspoons dill (or to taste)
1 tablespoon olive oil

Up to 24 hours ahead:
Line a fine mesh sieve or colander with coffee filters or cheesecloth (coffee filter s work great!). Place over a bowl. Put the yogurt in the sieve and allow to drain for up to 24 hours in the fridge, not more than 2 hours on the counter. You want the whey to drain off and the yogurt to firm up so it's like soft cream cheese (BTW, it makes a great substitute for spreadable cream cheese-just add any flavouring you want).

Toss the grated cucumber with the salt in a colander and let stand in the sink or over a bowl for 30 minutes to drain. Rinse it quickly and press the excess water out (you want the cucumber fairly dry).

Combine the yogurt, cucumbers and garlic in a bowl. Mix. Add everything else but the oil. Chill til serving time. Drizzle the oil over the top.

That's it. I usually do without the oil-I don't miss it. The original recipe calls for mint as well as dill. You can just dice the cucumber if you want chunky style instead.

Enjoy !
Old February 18th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you !

Thank you so much Skryker. I can't wait to try this. What do you usually serve with this? Crackers? Bagel bits?

I'm making my shopping list now and I'm going to try it on Monday when my cousin comes to visit. Or....if I do a decent job I might eat it and buy a jar of salsa for the cousin.
Old February 18th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Joeysmama, you hit it on the nail on the other thread when you mentioned Naan. Perfect! I don't know if that is Greek or Indian. I think I had it at an Indian restaurant with Hummus. But that sounds like it would be a great combination with this. Here in the states, we combine ethic food all the time and call it something like California Cuisine or Tex-Mex. Works!

Edited to note that this would be a perfect recipe for California Cuisine. All the ingredients are grown and produced right here!

Last edited by glasslass; February 18th, 2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old February 18th, 2006, 05:38 PM

I usually eat my tzatziki with carrots (although I think the carrots make it harder to digest), but yesterday, I tried it with Spicy Quesodilla tostitos and it was so tasty (and I didn't get my usual tzat cramps! Woohoo!)

That recipe sounds easy and tasty. Thanks for posting it.
Old February 18th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Boss-lady!

Very welcome! We love this stuff. Let's see...as a dip, it goes with pita bread-especially if you can find the mini pitas for easy dipping-but any flat bread like Naan will do. It works as chip dip, too, or with veggies.

It's a sandwich spread, too, in place of mayo. Or use it in chicken salad. Or try left-over turkey cubed up with chunks of cucumber and tomato mixed with the tzatziki, stuffed into a pita. Yum!! (No turkey if you're vegetarian ). Gyros are the greek grilled meat in a pita dish-that uses tzatziki, too.

More exotic (or personal, anyways), I like it with perogies. My husband uses it in all sorts of things, too. The Joy of Cooking uses it as a dressing for Potato Salad. Haven't tried that, but it sure sounds good.
Old February 18th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Mmmmm that sounds yummy, I'm going to have to try it next time I have souvlaki!! I usualy just get a tub of sour cream add 4-5 gloves of garlic cucumber and greek oregano. But I will definately try this recipe!!!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 24th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I tried this recipe. Sooooo delicious. Although I think I added way too much garlic ( i thought, hey i love garlic i'll add 2 cloves more than the recipe calls for-a mistake i think) It had way too much bite, next time i'll add the recommended amount of garlic. It gave me wicked garlic breath that I could still taste the next morning after 2 teeth brushings!

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 24th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Boss-lady!

Glad you liked it Stacer! The garlic is very much a personal taste- I usually add 3 cloves; my husband will add 4. Depends on the garlic, too. If it's older and has sprouted a bit, it's really, really strong and kinda bitter. I guess roasted garlic would be good, too, and mellower.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:07 AM

The minute I get an afternoon to play, I'm gonna make it.. I've been craving it like crazy for a while now...:love: