Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 11th, 2003, 06:24 PM

Exclamation Dog Diagnosed with Nasal Bacterial Infection---Did not Respond to Antibiotic Treatmnt

I need some advice. My 10 year old female Australian Sheppard developed a runny nose in November of 2002. She was diagnosed with a with a sinus bacterial infection in December 2002. Tests did not indicate cancer or a fungal infection. Bloodwork came back clear. She was placed on Clavamox and Atarax, and given a cortisone shot, and did not respond. Then she received another antibiotic, Baytril, along with Atarax and 2 more cortisone shots. Still, no resolution of her symptoms. My vet said the next step would be a CT scan/MRI and possible nasal surgery. A second opinion suggested a possible autoimmune disorder and steriod treatment. Which route should I take? I am open to homepathic suggestions. She has severe crusting of the nose and puss discharge from mainly the right nostril. If I can help her, what can I do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

---Michelle

Update 1/22/03: I now have my dog on a 30 day dose of Tetracycline, 1500mg a day. I'll post my results at the end of the treatment session.
Old January 24th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Hi,

A nasal bacterial infection, to my knowledge, would be more an immunodeficiency than an autoimmune problem.
There is a homéopathic complex named OCULONAT that works well on
these chronic sinusitis. It stimulates the yealing of tissus, decreases the inflammation and the secretions, increases the defense against infection.

The dog should take oraly 3 granules 3 times a day for a good month or two.
This type of disease usually occurs after giving a vaccination or from chemical insectisides.

Paul Guindon DMV
Clinique veterinaire Salaberry
Medecine conventionnelle et holystique
1895 Salaberry, Montreal, QC
514-334-7280
Old January 25th, 2003, 12:49 PM

Thank you for the the response

Dear Doctor Guindon:

Thank you for responding to my posting. Unfortunately, Zoe passed away on 1/24/03. While my heart is broken, I realize that she is no longer in persistent discomfort and for that I am grateful. My only regret is that I was unable to find more information on my dog's condition, anywhere (WWW, breeders, local vets, shelters, pet stores, etc.). I could not have been the only dog owner in Los Angeles with this problem, but it felt like that. In addition, feeding her consistently became a problem as she lost her appetite. Thank goodness there are websites devoted to caring for sick animals, and I was able to get info and supplies on syringe feeding.

Warm Regards,

Michelle Rose-Fuller
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Unhappy Nasal Issue

Hi, I was hoping mrosefuller was still an active member here. I am now having the same issues with my dog that she had with hers. I realize that was in 2003 and am so sorry she lost her dog. I am working with 4 Vets on the issue but we can't seem to get it resolved. I know she felt at the time her dog was the only one around that had this problem; I know the feeling. I would love to discuss what went on with her dog if it is not too painful for her. I'm afraid I am facing losing my dog too.
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Can you post some history of the dog
age, breed, medication, when this started how it may have started and what's been done investigatively or medically so far?
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:12 AM

Hi There,

I am so sorry to hear your pet has a similar condition. My vet could never determine what the cause of death was, and that was the worst part. In retrospect, I think she suffered a massive immune deficiency disorder of some kind. I have since adopted another dog and I am very careful about what chemicals she is exposed to-no insecticide on the lawn, no routine oral flea/tick medication, topical flea medication in the summer (if necessary), I feed her grain free food, I don't have her vaccinated every year, and to keep her immune system strong I give her powdered collostrum with some yogurt.

My dog started with a runny nose in October 2002, and by December 2002 she was on death's door. She developed a scabby nose that simply wouldn't heal. Our vet conducted a nasal irrigation but there were no abnormal cells. We had her on antibiotics and steroids, and she still lost her appetite. I was unable to get her to eat, and force feeding was useless. In January 2003 she passed away naturally. I think she hung on one extra month for me. When I realized that it was a loosing battle in December I focused on making her as comfortable as possible, and when I told her it was ok to let go on January 24th, she passed away that day. I wish the vet would have been more progressive and suggested pain management measures for her. If this should ever happen to me again I will insist on it.

Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks,

Michelle

Last edited by mrosefuller; November 30th, 2007 at 12:17 AM. Reason: correction
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:40 PM

reply to mrosefuller

Hi Michelle,
Thank you so much for responding. I'm so sorry your dog passed. I'm glad it happened naturally and that you did not have to make that decision for her. Mine too is an Australian Shepard and is 9 years old. I work for a Vet office and we can't seem to come up with a clear diagnosis. We assume some sort of cancer although the latest blood work points to bacterial infection (which could also mean tumor). I've tried a gamet of antiobotics and am now back to Baytril, with nothing making much difference. X-Rays have not been much help either other than showing some inflammation. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. I know you felt that way too. I just had not heard of anyone else having this issue with their dog until I found your post. I appreciate your willingness to answer questions as I know I'll have a few soon. It is just nice to have someone who has been through this to talk to.
Thank you again,
Sky