Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 24th, 2006, 02:56 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

How to 'undo' training?

I can see you now! "what is she talking about? why undo all your work?"

My hubby and I have worked with Melei since we got her and she has learnt many commands with verbal and hand signals. only problem is, my hubby's fav is 'speak' and he won't stop treating her even though she has it down pat. so know, while I sit here trying to eat my lunch, she figures if she just keeps 'speaking' to me, I will share!

I have tried putting her in another room, even in her kennel, which causes whining and scratching. If I leave her beside me and ignore her, she will stop eventually, but boy is annoying!

anyway, long story short (finally right? ) How do you teach the 'no-spaek' command? I have never had to do it before.
Old April 24th, 2006, 04:45 PM
-

Poor Melei...she`s so confused. I don`t have an answer for you. Maybe you need to re-train your husband.
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:05 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
Poor Melei...she`s so confused. I don`t have an answer for you. Maybe you need to re-train your husband.

I've been trying to do that for more than 10 years! Any ideas for making any progress with that apprieciated!
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:17 PM

Squirt your husband with a spray bottle.

Seriously, though . . . what if you taught her to "be quiet" by telling her to speak, rewarding her when she does, then telling her "quiet now" and looking stern if she barks? And rewarding her if she's silent? I trained my dog to "be quiet" from when she was a puppy, but she hardly barked at all anyway . . . I tried to teach her to speak and failed miserably, LOL!

~LM~
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:22 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

I will try that. Thank you
Old April 24th, 2006, 06:13 PM
-

Quote:
I've been trying to do that for more than 10 years! Any ideas for making any progress with that apprieciated!
LOL...I`ve been trying alot longer than that. My dogs are way easier to train.

Ask your husband to stop getting Melei to do the "speak" command. Then when she starts barking at you when you`re eating, tell her "NO".
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:01 AM

I agree with teaching "be quiet". That'll be useful all the time anyway.
Old April 26th, 2006, 01:34 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melei'sMom
May I suggest a firm application of duct tape before you get him with the squirt gun?

The funny thing with my grrrrls is that "QUIET!" only works half the time with them. As pups I used a saying which still - amazingly works every time. One sharp intake of breath, as if I am absolutely mortified on their behalf for their humiliating faux pas and "Gorlies, Gorlies, Gorlies, we are not the noisy grrrls. We are the quiiiiiet grrrls in the house" . Works like magic -they look at me sheepishly as if suddenly remembering their social graces and slink off.
Old April 26th, 2006, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum
May I suggest a firm application of duct tape before you get him with the squirt gun?

The funny thing with my grrrrls is that "QUIET!" only works half the time with them. As pups I used a saying which still - amazingly works every time. One sharp intake of breath, as if I am absolutely mortified on their behalf for their humiliating faux pas and "Gorlies, Gorlies, Gorlies, we are not the noisy grrrls. We are the quiiiiiet grrrls in the house" . Works like magic -they look at me sheepishly as if suddenly remembering their social graces and slink off.
The words you use for commands can sometimes sound like 'barks' to a dog. So if the dog is barking and you are yelling NO, STOP, QUIET....the dog thinks you are joining in.
Old April 26th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

First of all I found that shock collars work best for husbands - sorry Doug.

The things you have tried so far only avoided teaching her the correct response.

Set her up for learning. Put on the leash and sit down for lunch. If she barks, you look straight at her and say 'quiet' in a firm and sharp tone and give her a little leash correction, or clap your hands, or stomp your foot. You need to pressure the bad choice and then softly reward the good choice with soft praise and maybe a soft touch. Be consistent and clear in your boundaries and she will challenge and few times and then stop.

Just because hubby does one thing doesn't mean that she can't learn something else with you. Because its about relationship she can learn that he likes the barking and you don't.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old April 26th, 2006, 02:05 PM
-

Quote:
First of all I found that shock collars work best for husbands
LOL - Geeze, I just might try that.
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:19 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

Thanks all for your helpful suggestions. I have started using the command "shhh" when I want her to be quiet and it seems to be working. She would get louder when I said no or stop, so she maybe did think I was joining in.

We are working on whisper now too. she will sometimes give a little growlly bark when asked to speak and dh waits for a loud, robust bark for 'speak' so I decided to see if I could get her to do the quieter one on command too. We will see how that goes.

And if he keeps playing rough with her so much (don't like the nipping) I might try the shock collar and duct tape on him