Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 8th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Feline Acne

Just got home from the vets. Amos was acting weird the other night, he is not a clingy cat....and all of a sudden he is like my third leg. Thank goodness I have a kitty that lets me know when something is not right.

So I notice he has a huge lump hanging off his jaw.....oh goodness I thought it was a tooth problem. Turns out big cat has feline acne, and some of the pimples are quite infected. So the vet expressed all the infected ones, gave him a steroid shot and told me to buy some acne fash wash and scrub his face three times a day. If the infected ones contine to ooze by Monday I have to go up and get some antibotics, but for now just see if the acne wash will clear it up. His whole chin is just a mess of lumpies, poor guy.

So does anyone here have any knowledge of feline acne?? Is there any thing else I can do to help prevent it?

Oh and anyone want to help scrub his face???
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatharmony View Post

Oh and anyone want to help scrub his face???
No thank you , I would like to remain injury free for the rest of my vacation

One of my cats (years ago) had acne , my vet told me to put rubbing alcohol on it and it cleared off. I also had to change his bowls , from plastic to the stainless ones. The acne stopped after the bowl switch
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

awww come on Frenchy...live a little. He really is a friendly fellow.......ummm like when he is sleeping.....

Ol' Mister Crabbypants, aka now...PimplePuss....will probably be ok for face scubbing tonight. Vet gave him a little needle to mellow him.....she couldn't get over the size of his head.....when we pried him out of the kittycage....she was he is huuuge, put him on the scales and he is 23 lbs...vet said his head must be half the weight...he is massive!

Bigcat didn't get his nickname because he pretends to be one.

Oh......forgot to add I have always fed him out of ceramic bowls.
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:14 PM
-

Quote:

Oh......forgot to add I have always fed him out of ceramic bowls.
He does ? hummmm .... well then , this is just a teenage phase ... keep all chips and Coke away from him and tell him to clean his paws before rubbing his face
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

He is far from being a teenager.....he is 11 now.

I have been doing a bit of reading, Amos is prone to dermatis. He has a over-grooming condition for ten years now, a severe flea allergy and he does get really dry flaky skin on his rear right near his tail. But I have never seen these huge lumps on his chin, this is new. Wonder if it is going to be a forever thing??
Old August 9th, 2008, 01:02 AM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Amos is prone to dermatis. He has a over-grooming condition for ten years now, a severe flea allergy and he does get really dry flaky skin on his rear right near his tail. But I have never seen these huge lumps on his chin, this is new. Wonder if it is going to be a forever thing??
All of my guys here had acne, I went from ceramic to stainless steel and glass/crystal and that seemed to do the trick, although Buddy still gets some as he is a really messy eater.

Also for the skin issues, Fagan has much the same and has to get the depo shots every few months, we are having some success now with coconut oil, thanks to some suggestions on here.... might be worth a shot for you too.

hope his zits heal quickly!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old September 21st, 2008, 07:51 PM

Cat Acne

When one of our young cats had acne, the vet recommended those medicated face wipes that teenagers use. They really seemed to help!
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Finn had some acne on her chin a few months ago and Frenchy suggested the rubbing alcohol to me and it worked. Within a few days the lump had shrunk and then poof! it was gone. It took a while for the fur to grow back though.

I just saw the date, and Amos' acne is prolly cleared up by now.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Years ago I had a cat that got acne. The vet had told me then it was due to plastic bowls. I did have to get the meds to treat ($400.00 meds/visit etc) and changed bowls to ceramic or stanless steal.

Save yourself the $$ and get rid of the plastic.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM

Foose my big black cat had acne... His never got too terribly bad though, and I was never brave enough to try and scrub his face...( I enjoy having all my fingers remain attached to my hand ) but I did switch to ceramic bowl and it fixed it all up!

Speaking of acne, Patrón got acne too... had big nasty pimples allll over his chin... the vet gave me Pyobin gel... its a Peroxide gel that clears the pimples up almost over night... maybe ask your vet for some?
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:04 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

No his acne is still going strong. We haven't had any infected ones like we did that day. I bought the Spectro gel the vet said to get and there was no way in heck he was letting me scrub his chin. With that it had to be wet and rinsed throughly........yah right.

I tried some alcohol on a pad and the little bugger can smell it and he runs and hides.He doesn't trust me approaching him at all if he cant see my hands. I don't have two hands to work with just yet, hopefully next month, so I can't hold him and work through the struggle.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I tried some alcohol on a pad and the little bugger can smell it and he runs and hides.He doesn't trust me approaching him at all if he cant see my hands. I don't have two hands to work with just yet, hopefully next month, so I can't hold him and work through the struggle.
Ya, I'm not really a fan of using alcohol for that reason. Plus, it can actually be TOO drying and therefore create more irritation. I much prefer using colloidal silver. It has absolutely no smell, no sting, and is anti-bacterial. Not harmful if ingested either. I like the Sovereign Silver brand, which I noticed has a new silver gel product that looks interesting.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler