Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 6th, 2007, 01:28 AM

Tail Chasing in dogs

Kai Started tail chasing when he was a puppy. We thought it was pretty cute and funny. Until we were told to stop this behaviour immediately. I was then told "Tail chasing can develop into a harmful habit" which got me scared. So I decided to check the websites about tail chasing and there was alot of info about it.

I was told this could lead him to becoming obsessive compulsive. It has been known to effect specific breeds such as bull terriers. Some of the reasons why dogs do this is boredom, lack of exercise, Frustration, tail trauma & owner reinforcement. There is a choice to go to medication, but We choose to distract him with toys, treats or food when we see him starting to tail chase, as also recomended by the vet. IT HAS HELPED !!! and I hope it will help you !!!
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Our Golden Abby likes to chase her tail once in a while, grabbing it and rolling downhill in a ball.

I guess I can see the point that it might be a compulsive thing but the only thing I see in Abby is that she's having fun.

We've never tried to stop the habit. She's 8.5 years old.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Remembering Lukka

Lukka will tail chase too. No incline to roll down here though. We only stop her when she does it indoors and the furniture or TV is at risk of being toppled as she bounces around in circles
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

logan chases his tail rarely. nothing obsessive though
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:53 PM

Yes we have had a few shepherds with this issue: Euro's Zarco was my very first! The experiance was right off the wall.

Harley; Had some serious issues. I purchased him at the age of 4 months. We'd be his 3rd home. This dog was very confused! Well when Harley latched onto his tail you had a blood bath he'd spin and growl and carry on like a nut!. He litterally removed 21/2 inches off of his tail.

I took this dog out for 5 and 6 hour walks get him harnessed too a sled and have him pull the kids around.. As soon as I would return home, and my attention was off of him. Bang off he'd go again. We had to put him on Prozac!

I truly wish that we purchased him at 8 weeks of age, so that we could have prevented all of the above.
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:17 AM

My Pom, Nicky, chases his tail or spins when he's excited. Everytime he thinks he's about to go outside, he spins. Is this bad?

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999