Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 4th, 2015, 09:35 AM

first time poster and i have a couple questions !

Hello from Canada! Glad to be part of the forum

I have joined in hopes to finding a product that will suit my needs. I didn't know where else to post either.

I have a bullmastiff lab and he likes to go on a walk by himself sometimes when he is let outdoors for his business. Strays are not a problem in our community, the spa isn't around a whole lot but he was captured twice but I would like to find him or know where he goes when he leaves. Sometimes he leaves for an hour or so! He always comes back , we never have to over worry. Does anyone have an idea if a gps tracker for a dog collar that I can track him with to my computer or mobile device??
Old January 4th, 2015, 10:00 AM

I'd be more concerned with someone taking him or being hit by a car rather than looking into a gps tracker.

Letting your dog wander, unsupervised, is never a good idea. Can you not tether him when outside or go outside with him when he wants to be out? What about a fence?
Old January 4th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I would be careful about tethering a dog alone if there wild animals around,
I would also agree it not safe letting a dog out on it own , he really need to be walked or try to find a dog park that fence in if you can't afford to put up one. If your dog does not get along with other dogs he should not be running around lose.
Old January 4th, 2015, 02:40 PM

Thanks for that but since you don't understand the situations of the city I live in or the area, nor the behaviour of our human like dog and his common sence to advoid the roads and traffic. I don't need any advice I'm well aware of the risks

I came here in search for a product , can anyone help me with this or naw( no extra BS needed )
Old January 4th, 2015, 02:45 PM

He's very timid , doesn't bark at other dogs unless they started jumping on him. He just loves smelling around and goes looking for garbage lol
Old January 4th, 2015, 05:41 PM

Yes, there are GPS collars you can purchase. They are not cheap. If you google GPS Dog Collar Canada you'll find you have a lot of options.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old January 4th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajig420 View Post
Thanks for that but since you don't understand the situations of the city I live in or the area, nor the behaviour of our human like dog and his common sence to advoid the roads and traffic. I don't need any advice I'm well aware of the risks

I came here in search for a product , can anyone help me with this or naw( no extra BS needed )
I saw no BS here at all , just people being concerned for your dog safety , this is a forum for people who love animals and care about them a lot. There was no need for rudeness .
Old January 5th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

As said above you can get a GPS tracking collar. A friend of ours puts one on his coon hounds which run miles and hours loose at night. Our friend does have written permission from all the property owners in his area to allow his dogs to run and him to hunt.

You dog is in danger. You are liable. Farmers have the right to shoot nuisance animals, some find any stray a nuisance. Two of my neighbours' dogs have been shot, one fatally. In the death case the owner professed amazement that the adjoining farmer who shot his dog had not called to let him know his dog was an annoyance, nuisance and threat to his young animals. I happen to know both parties and for his part the farmer simply figured "You know your dog is running loose, you obviously don't care about him or look after him or care about my $ bottom line - BANG, BANG." The farmer was in the legal right.

Your dog could cause a car accident. You could be held liable for damage to the car, people and property. Imagine if someone served to avoid your dog and hit a kid instead. I know I would probably serve as an involuntary reaction to avoid hitting a dog or any animal. This situation also happened to someone I know, just the car damage part thank God, not someone else being hit too.

He raids garbage cans? I threw out some antifreeze containers a while ago. People put out sharp glass, cans with sharp edges and not well cleaned of cat food in their recycling. Your dog is a walking invitation for a visit to the Emergency Vet.

Is your dog neutered?
Old January 5th, 2015, 06:16 PM

Anyone know any good links?
Old January 5th, 2015, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Really ? People gave you good advice and you called it BS and now you want us to still help you.
Old January 5th, 2015, 09:10 PM

Now now Barkingdog, no need to get rude yourself.

ajig420, as I am sure you can tell the people on this forum LOOOOOVE dogs. Pets of all sorts actually. There are valid points that have been made, keep these things in mind.

As for links, I grabbed a couple after googling Dog Tracking Collar in Canada.

https://www.thebcgpsstore.ca/Dog-Tracking-GPS/
http://www.pocketfinder.com/
http://www.retrievatracking.com/trac...og_collar.aspx

Not sure if this is what you were expecting of a tracking collar. I know I didn't realize that most, if not all, require a monthly fee

Hope this helps u. Take care of your pooch
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old January 6th, 2015, 07:29 AM

Thanks for your help dingston you did good mate!!