Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old October 4th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Flowering down under in October.

Lovely time of the year here, except for all the mosquitoes following the floods we had. The Aquilegias are just starting to flower, also the vine I put on the tank stand last year, Pandorea jasminoides. It has Pandorea pandorana for company, which has a smaller, more tubular flower that is cream with a pink throat but my camera doesn't seem to like the colour, I always get blurry photo's.
Attached Images

Old October 4th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Beautiful flowers, we are going into fall now so much different sort of colour, lol, so seeing your pics brings some thoughts of summer back.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Senior Contributor

You may appreciate our Summer then when you are in the depths of Winter. Not that I have much of a Summer garden, it's too hot here.
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Got a photo of Pandorea pandorana this morning. Nicknamed the Wonga Wonga vine. Second photo is a native plant , an Eremophila nivea (emu bush), and both it and the Pandoreas are bird attracting.Third photo is just a daisy that is part of my "pot city", a cutting a neighbor gave me earlier this year that must like it here.
Attached Images

Old October 21st, 2010, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

It's Bearded Iris time.

The start of the irises.
Attached Images

Old October 21st, 2010, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Some variety. The rose is Lavender Pinnochio. I shouldn have removed the leaves with Black Spot first but oh well .
Attached Images

Old October 21st, 2010, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

It is spring down under and you are treating us with your beautiful garden. Thank you Goldfields for these. You will be able to remind us NAmericans that yes we will have our gardens back in ummmm 6 months . patti
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

wow..those are gorgeous flowers!!! thanks for sharing, for some reason my rose bush decided to treat me with a few blooms...I have 3 ready to open.
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:27 PM
Doggie Wench

The second flower in post 6, is that a sort of Poppy? So pretty .
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

The yellow iris is really showing itself off, so had to include today's photo of it. The second one is a colour the camera is now determined it can't take, it's so frustrating when it blurs slightly. I'll keep trying for a better shot. The third plant is just a little favorite of mine, Mathiola, or Evening Scented Stocks.

Melinda, what rose is going to flower, do you know its name? All mine are budding but we are on the verge of a locust plague and I have no idea whether they are going to want to eat rosebushes or just grass.

LP. that, I think, is an opium poppy. People here still grow them as garden flowers because they are so beautiful, especially the doubles, but I tried them one year, found they suffocated my young roses and tried to get rid of them. There are just a couple up and I'll cull them before they send seed everywhere. I'll show you photo's of my doubles.

Patti, I'd go crazy if I couldn't have a garden for 6 months. Do people grow indoor plants during the cold months? I hope I can find something nice for you all during your Winter.
Attached Images

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:15 PM

Sometimes I think about how everything under the equator is backwards and it blows my mind.......
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I may just include some irises here that bloomed last year, as chances are they may not bloom this year. They are so beautiful, pity they don't repeat flower like most roses.
Attached Images

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:44 PM
Senior Contributor

First the poppy I like the most, the Shirley poppy. Unfortunately I couldn't get seeds for them this year and just have a few, but I've ordered more seeds now. The other is a double opium poppy, or some like to call it, a Paeony poppy. I grew them in '08, not last year but can't seem to find many photo's.
Attached Images

Old October 21st, 2010, 08:56 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
I hope I can find something nice for you all during your Winter.
Oh Goldfields, I envy you! I would LOVE to see pictures of your beautiful gardens all winter long. The Pandorea pandorana's are absolutely stunning. Never seen anything like them before.

Keep'm coming please.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old October 26th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

klm, Pandorea pandorana can be unbelievably massive if it takes off, like it could cover my entire 20 feet hight header tank with ease. I only found that out in the last day or so, so have plans for heavy pruning on both Pandoreas each year.
3 more of my irises now, and I must say I love the frilly ones.
Attached Images

Old October 26th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

It's rose time too, at last.

First rose, the ever beautiful Just Joey. Second rose is Gold Bunny, and the other is Burgundy Iceberg.
Attached Images

Old October 26th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Not quite delphinium time

These are just some general views. The first , believe it or not, is part of my pot city, stuff I haven't planted out in case the locust plague ever does eventuate. The purple pansies, which have flowered beautifully for just so long, were a $1 bargain, being culled because they looked quite sick. As for my delphiniums, it'd be great if they all flowered at once but that isn't going to happen.
Attached Images

Old October 27th, 2010, 08:33 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Regardless, you're having better luck with your delphiniums than I've had in the past. I want to try again--I love the sky blue ones!! Pansies are about the only nonnative plants I've had tremendous luck growing! In fact, they're so hardy that if I cover them with oak leaves, they even make it through our winters!

Gorgeous gardens, GF!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 27th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Wish I knew what your climate was like in Wisconsin, Hazel. All I know with my Delphiniums is that they like morning sun and to be shaded by that shade cloth from the afternoon sun. They are also gross feeders I think. I have no luck whatsoever trying to grow them from seed, but having said that, I know that fresh seed is best and I've saved some from this one below, so I might even sow some and see what happens.(If I can remember where I put the seed. LOL.)
Attached Images

Old October 27th, 2010, 09:18 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We're quite seasonal here, GF. Warm (80s, sometimes 90s F) in summer, cold (-20 F is not unusual) in winter, about 40 inches of precip a year. But it all varies. For instance, between June and October this year we had close to 30 inches of rain. Some years we get less than 10 in that same time frame.

Part of my problem was that I was trying to start dry/mesic plants in my front yard here--finally figured out that although the soil is sandy, there's an impermeable rock plateau just under the surface and the soil is pretty wet. Discovered that last year when someone suggested I see what grows there naturally--and found wetland plants like fringed and whorled loosestrife!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 27th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Senior Contributor

What a difference in our climates, Hazel. Here it's hot in Summer, can get up to 116F like on Black Saturday when we had disastrous bushfires, but generally would be around 85 F I guess to maybe 105 F. And 23F would be the worst we'd get in Winter. Our average rainfall is only 16 inches but this year we are over that already, with decent rain forecast again for tomorrow and the weekend. We'd have a foot of soil over red clay, so that has its problems, like if you dig a hole for a tree and get lots of rain, that just pools in the hole in the clay and drowns the tree. I've given up on trying to get fruit trees going and will put in natives for shade. If there is any flower I think won't grow here naturally, that's where pot city comes in. Not saying I'd want to go on growing difficult things but it's nice to even have them to admire for a season.
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Maybe the rain will drown the locusts!

My Dad's house had soil very similar to that. Clay is a real pain to work with! So, it turns out, is wet sand I'm having really good luck with natives, too. In fact, those are about the only things (besides pansies) that I do have much luck with.

Old October 27th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Our 91 year old neighor was here this morning and talking about the monster locust plague that happened when he was 15 I think he said.They could see this storm cloud of locusts coming and it actually blotted out the sun and the cloud of locusts stretched from horizon to horizon. It kept coming in waves and they ate everything green. How I hope we never get that here, any locusts at all are bad news though. Best enjoy my garden while I can.
Mildura, up on the border of Victoria and New South Wales, is fairly safe because the cold weather delayed the hatching up there, giving their crops time to dry off and become unattractive. However, it means that whatever locusts weren't killed by chemical spraying will take flight and if north winds are blowing they will end up down here. Fingers crossed that the farmers got on top of them.
Old October 30th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Nearly the end of the month

The roses should be their best around Melbourne Cup Day, so they say, the first Tuesday in November. This year they are late but here are some more roses. Cabana, Zepherine Drouhin and Black Boy. The camera hated pink this morning, now it dislikes red.
Attached Images

Old October 30th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

This time one of the old fashioned irises, minus the ruffles. One that is pretty in pink and lastly this beauty, I don't know how you would describe it.
Attached Images

Old October 31st, 2010, 04:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I love your flowers! The roses and irises are really pretty.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a lot of irises, TQ , courtesy of a lovely friend who is very involved in the Iris Club here and breeding irises and writing about them. When she divides hers she will offer some on a garden forum just for the cost of the postage, which is very kind and generous of her. However, for some reason, and no doubt it's my fault, they aren't flowering well in the ground this year, though those that are still potted have been great. Must ask her what I may have done wrong. The roses are more of an addiction than the irises, as well as putting in orders with different rose nurseries, shopping day isn't shopping day unless I come home with a new rose. Ian used to go crook at me, now he just laughs and ask did I get a new rose? I have him well trained. LOL.