Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:51 PM

Removing many dog urine spots from carpet?

So, out of interest I bought one of those urine finder lights since it was handily located right near the bottle of enzyme-based urine neutralizers. I took it home, and tried it out. I could have shot that little Chihuahua!

I knew he was peeing in our bedroom since he peed all over my bed skirt and the wall. I also knew he had peed in the living room on the old couch and also out the sides of his kennel. I got him a new teeny kennel and put it on the lino. He can't pee out the side anymore. What I didn't know is that he has peed (still is?? not sure) all over the spare bedroom as well (which I had a sneaking suspicion), and the areas of the living room and our bedroom are LARGE areas from numerous pees!

Finally, the SO has agreed that Peewee has a problem, and has agreed to ban Peewee to the cummerbund inside, and he isn't allowed to leave his bed unless invited. This is how I treat Peewee when I'm in camp (for those who don't know P is with me in a camp work situation most of the time...home for weekends a couple times a month), and it has been working well. However, I will take the urine light with me to camp this weekend to double check!

So...long story short...

I have been liberally using Urine Off on the pee patches, cover with damp towel overnight, let dry the next day, and reapply the next night. After only 1 treatment I can no longer smell the urine, but I'm sure Peewee can. After two treatments I shampoo the carpet with Bissel Pet Odor & Stain Shampoo with my carpet machine. This is working, but even after 2 treatments and a thorough shampoo I can still see a vague glow with the light. I have gone through 2 $15 bottles of Urine Off already, and I have maybe done 20% of the pee patches. Is there a better/cheaper alternative? Am I doing it right? Is a vague glow good enough?