Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old July 24th, 2007, 02:21 AM

Great photos!

We have a couple of feeders and a bird bath here with quite a few birds... I know what some of them are, but there are so many!!!

For those of you who are great at identifying them, I am not sure how you do it!

Recently... a group of crows have taking a liking to eating here... Really, I wouldn't mind if they just ate normal but they are worse than the squirrels! Plus they don't share nice... Does anyone else have a problem with crows?

This is the first year that we have ever had this type of problem.... I am pretty sure that they are nesting in the weeping willow across the street...

A huge amount showed up in early spring so we stopped feeding for a while to get rid of them... We started up again later and were going fine and now we have a few that are back...
Old July 24th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Senior Contributor

CM,you are not asking the right person,because I love my Crows and feed them leftovers,nothing goes in the garbage.
Crows do not eat seeds,as far as I've seen,at least they don't come to my feeders,maybe you are talking about black-birds(Grackles),but then again,it's difficult to miss a Crow
I have 2 Crows coming every day and they just introduced me to their baby
We do not have many around here,West Nile virus took it's toll..:sad:
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancesMom View Post
A huge amount showed up in early spring
I agree with Chico and would say these are grackles. Iv'e never know the crows to migrate so they would not likely arrive all of a sudden in the spring like the grackles do. You would be able to tell by the voice. I kind of associate the voice of a grackle with a rusy hinge. The crows seem to have so many different calls and when they make chit-chat with each other it really sounds like a full blown conversation.
I often hear the bluejays also talking with each other in several different voice patterns.
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:45 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yeah, probably grackles or maybe some other types of blackbirds...not sure if species like rusty blackbirds visit feeders, but they do eat grain...

I've always liked crows, too, chico. Now I'm learning to tell them from the ravens, who are also characters.

But right now, I'm concentrating on the hummers. The adults are getting ready to take off (or have already started), judging by the number of youngsters coming to the feeders, and soon it will be just the local youngsters before the big push of the migration. I'm already filling feeders 3 times a day--going through about 3 liters of nectar from morning to morning! Not sure how ol' hazel is gonna keep up when the migration starts in earnest!

Fun to watch the llittle guys, though. I can always tell when the youngsters arrive because there are a lot of female-colored birds with the shorter bills of the males. So far it looks like they had a really good year!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Remembering Lukka

Hazel has put a secret solution in her feeders this year to attract all the hummers and I didn't even get one
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Senior Contributor

No hummer here either Here's one of my pretty pigeons though
Attached Images

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Remembering Lukka

How gorgeous! That almost looks like a painted portrait.
The fellow a couple of houses down from me has the tumbler pigeons (not sure if that is what they are actually called) and watching them fly is pretty funny. You almost think they will fall out of the sky when they start to tumble downward
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,over the years I've learned to distinguish what the Crow are saying,when they are upset,when they call their babies or when they call everyone because I put out food,I just love them,they are big and black but still beautiful to me.

Lukka's mom,I've never heard of a Tumbler Pigeon,but I think they are all fascinating(sp?),here is a pic,not a very good one,I only have a 3 X Zoom,from this afternoon...
Attached Images

Old July 24th, 2007, 10:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
Hazel has put a secret solution in her feeders this year to attract all the hummers and I didn't even get one
I'm not sure what I've got in there...I thought it was sugar water, but it seems to be especially yummy--the customers are running me ragged keeping their glasses full! I'm hoping to get some video when the migration picks up.

Chico, I love the big black birds, too. They're smart, sassy, and they scavenge. One can never have too many scavengers. But I mostly like them for being smart and sassy.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,I just dumped the old stuff in my Hummer-feeder and refilled it you'll redirect some of yours
I was told to put it where there are flowers,so it's hanging in my little crabapple-tree over my garden,maybe I should move it,where it's more open???
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Hazel,I just dumped the old stuff in my Hummer-feeder and refilled it you'll redirect some of yours
I was told to put it where there are flowers,so it's hanging in my little crabapple-tree over my garden,maybe I should move it,where it's more open???
I have mine hanging beneath a young red pine. They really seem to like pines and spruces, if you have any around. And they seem to like shade--they'll go to the shadiest feeders, first:

Name:  The hummingbird garden and station 6-22-07.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  96.8 KB Name:  The hummingbird station 7-9-07.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  96.3 KB

There were always some lilies and phlox in there--this year we put up the garden fencing and put in some salvia and impatiens as well.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; July 25th, 2007 at 09:02 AM.
Old July 26th, 2007, 05:01 AM

Thank you!

You could be right on what they are called... They are huge and so black that their heads are nearly blue... and they eat tons! I mean... really eat a lot!!!

We have a feeder that is about 3 feet long and they can knock off half of it in an afternoon!

Like I said, I wouldn't care if they didn't eat so much... we cannot afford to go through that much seed...
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

CM their heads are a bluey/green colour,so you have Gracklers for sure,not Crows and they are HUGE compared to a Sparrow,but small compared to the much larger Crow.
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Winter bird feeder, our backyard . . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old July 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Remembering Lukka

CM the good thing about the fact that you have grackles is that they will migrate so you will have a reprieve during the colder months. The little song birds will be happy about that and glad to have the seeds when they need them most. I had to buy a feeder that had a cage aroung it to stop the larger black birds from eating the entire tube of seeds in one afternoon. Smaller song birds fit through the holes quite easily.

Rick those are very pretty birds on that feeder, do you know what they are? I don't think they are common to SWOntario.
Old July 26th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I think the one looking at the camera is a Chipping Sparrow
Old July 26th, 2007, 05:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Nope...I think they're redpolls. Probably Common Redpolls, but there may be some Hoary Redpolls mixed in...

We get them every so often in winter. They're really cute.

Old July 27th, 2007, 04:34 AM

Thanks for the info!
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Haha, finally caught some hummers today after months of trying! They didn't turn out very well, but I'm just happy to get them!

Here's my favorite one first of all, taken as the sun was setting. Belle stopped playing with her ball and looked at it, which drew my attention to it.
Attached Images

Old August 6th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Senior Contributor

And then a few others! Even worse quality, but I'm posting them anyway.
Attached Images

Old August 6th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Senior Contributor

And another of the feeder. Not a new bird and really blurry, but I thought the wings looked kind of cool.
Attached Images

Old August 6th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh Smiley,the first pic is just beautiful,a piece of art
The others are great too...that is a HoneySuckle(sp?) right??
I had one of those,since I was told they attract Hummers,but it died and no Hummers..:sad:
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Remembering Lukka

Oh Hummers
All my hummers ended up in Wisconsin this year
They were far more interested in the fluid in a certain persons feeders . I don't want to point fingers but her name sounds something like this. Starts with h and ends with azelrunpack
But next year....next year I will try again.
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Lukkas mom that's sooo true,that's why I had none this year
My feeder at least keeps the bees happy
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:34 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

The migration is starting. I filled all the feeders 3 times yesterday, and one of them 4 times.... Almost ran out of nectar so spent the day boiling sugar water hazel is exhausted and it's only just beginning--only the adults are moving right now! I can't imagine how the three of us are going to keep up with the rush when the young of the year start pushing south, as well!

Old August 6th, 2007, 08:37 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Smiley, I saw that silhouette in the other thread--I thought it was a silhouette of one of those lawn sculptures at first. It's just a totally awesome picture!

I'm hoping to get some more hummin' video this migration. The next couple of weeks are going to be pretty active, I think. Gotta make sure I have enough tapes!

Old August 6th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
The migration is starting. I filled all the feeders 3 times yesterday, and one of them 4 times.... Almost ran out of nectar so spent the day boiling sugar water hazel is exhausted and it's only just beginning--only the adults are moving right now! I can't imagine how the three of us are going to keep up with the rush when the young of the year start pushing south, as well!

Lukka'sma can hardly contain her excitement waiting for the Toronto Stock Exchange to open so she can buy shares in white sugar......she's gonna benefit one way or another from hazels efforts.
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:06 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Lukka'sma can hardly contain her excitement waiting for the Toronto Stock Exchange to open so she can buy shares in white sugar......she's gonna benefit one way or another from hazels efforts.
good move...hazel has 5 bags in the cupboard and is hoping it gets her through the week

Actually, hazel welcomes anyone who wants to hire on as official nectar boiler and feeder filler. Job is short-term--through about the second week of September... Whaddya say, Lukka'sma? We have a big yard for Lukka to play in...and lots of doggie companionship for her.

Old August 6th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
good move...hazel has 5 bags in the cupboard and is hoping it gets her through the week

Actually, hazel welcomes anyone who wants to hire on as official nectar boiler and feeder filler. Job is short-term--through about the second week of September... Whaddya say, Lukka'sma? We have a big yard for Lukka to play in...and lots of doggie companionship for her.
I'd love the job but I can't find the Hazelnut Patch located anywhere on the map. Is it near Milwaukee??????
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
I'd love the job but I can't find the Hazelnut Patch located anywhere on the map. Is it near Milwaukee??????
Nope...north and west of there...closer to Eau Claire... Just watch for the migrating hordes of hummingbirds and follow them!