Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old February 24th, 2010, 12:57 PM

Clear and googy discharge from my cat

My 7 months old himmie excreted clear, thick discharge this morning. I read some of the posts here and it could be an anal glad secretion but I can't be sure since I didn't witness it. The discharge has no smell and he excreted about 2 tablespoon size of it on my bathroom floor about 3 feet from his litterbox. This is the second time he's done it (last time was about 3 weeks ago). He doesn't seem to be in any particular pain or discomfort and his appetite is normal but I'm not sure if this is a normal behavior for a cat. Can someone give me some advice? Thanks in advance!
Old February 24th, 2010, 04:25 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Is he neutered?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 28th, 2010, 05:26 PM

yes, he's neutered. It's been a few days since the incident and he isn't licking himself down there as he was previously (didn't realize how often he was doing it until now). I'm inclined to think it was an incident of anal secretion?

Last edited by HimmieMommy; February 28th, 2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Update
Old February 28th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Geek Club CEO

If it was an anal glad excretion, you'd know, it stinks to high heaven.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Do you know if it came from the anus or penis?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:13 AM

Anal gland secretions are normally yellowish-white may sometimes be a bit brownish, and very very smelly . A cats anal sacs are smaller than a pea so it would be extremely odd for two tablespoons to be expelled from them.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:04 PM

the secretion didn't have any smell that I could detect. It definitely didn't have any color to it. I didn't see him doing the deed so i can't tell if it came from his penis or anus (to answer Love4himies' question). It wasn't pee. My boy's good about using the litterbox and the consistency was a bit gooey. Could something like that have come from his penis if it's not anal gland secretion? Again, i'm not too worried at this time as he's not acting sick and his appetite is good but he has done this once before so I was curious. I really thought it was anal gland secretion but apparently not from the other members' responses
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:24 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

To me it sounds like ejaculate. But if you are concerned you could phone your vet's office and ask. Two feet! Impressive!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:16 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

This is a mystery. Anal gland secretions are horribly stinky , you can't miss the smell.

I would get him examined by the vet to ensure he was properly neutered.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds to me like it might be mucus coming out of his anus. The intestines are lined with a mucus membrane and normally produce a certain amount of to help with the passage of stool. Excess mucus can be produced if the intesines are irritated or inflammed. What does your cat normally eat? Any chance he ate something he shouldn't have (like a plant)?

Some more info for you (although it pertains to humans, the concept is similar for cats): http://ibdcrohns.about.com/od/relate...mucusstool.htm

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:41 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Sounds to me like it might be mucus coming out of his anus. The intestines are lined with a mucus membrane and normally produce a certain amount of to help with the passage of stool. Excess mucus can be produced if the intesines are irritated or inflammed. What does your cat normally eat? Any chance he ate something he shouldn't have (like a plant)?

Some more info for you (although it pertains to humans, the concept is similar for cats): http://ibdcrohns.about.com/od/relate...mucusstool.htm
I thought the same thing too when I first read (hence my question of where it was coming from), but 2 tablespoons is a lot for a cat, and it is not usually clear, more like the colour of the mucous from your sinuses when you have a cold.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:51 AM

If it were mucus, would it cause him to lick himself in the genital region excessively? Again, I don't know what's considered excessive (Rosco's my first cat and I've only had him for 3+ months) but prior to his excretion, he used to lick himself down there every evening. I just assumed it was part of his grooming ritual. I work during the day so I don't know how often he licks while I'm not there. And he hasn't been licking down there since until yesterday (saw him do it once) which is why i'm starting to get nervous again.

Again, he seems fine-- active and appetite is good. He eats raw food-- I alternate between chicken, rabbit and goat meat. He was on goat meat when the incident occurred. I don't recall what meat he was eating the first time he excreted (about a month ago?)
Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
To me it sounds like ejaculate. But if you are concerned you could phone your vet's office and ask. Two feet! Impressive!!
I googled neutered cat ejaculation and I think 14+kitties might be right! From what I've read, neutered cat can become excited and can ejaculate. Per answers.yahoo.com, the substance is released to aid sperm in its path down the penis and is clear. It didn't mention the consistency or the smell, but this seems to fit w what I saw (clear liquid w no odor and heavier-than-water consistency). I guess a 7 mo old kitten can ejaculate that young and that much "excitement"?
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
150% PRO S/N

I would still phone your vet to be on the safe side.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with 14+ about the vet thing. 2 tbsp of ejaculate would be a lot for a human, nevermind a cat!!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler