Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 27th, 2008, 05:06 AM

Cool Aggresive All of a Sudden

We just gotr Charger about a month and 1/2 ago.. Charger who is a Lab/Hound.. We rescued him from the hound, where he was constantly around other dogs. Charger now when we go for walks off leash.. But suddenly has had to go on a leash when approaching other dogs.. He gets all hunched up.. like he is going to attack.. And barks and barks as they go pass us. Charger has been a excellent dog till this started recently.. He doesn't like small dogs at all.. We just drive by other dogs now..and he's up and growling and barking in the car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Aggressive All of

Both of you would benefit from Obedience classes where the trainer could ascertain why he's aggressive and help you deal with these issues. Theres alot to learn re:training your dog to be the best he can be.
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Since you only recently adopted him, he might only now be comfortable enough to be showing his true colours so to speak. A trainer would probably be a great resource of you guys, but please, keep using a leash regardless of progress on this front, it's not only safer for your dog, but far more polite and respectful of other dog owners and their dogs.
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:23 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post
Since you only recently adopted him, he might only now be comfortable enough to be showing his true colours so to speak. A trainer would probably be a great resource of you guys, but please, keep using a leash regardless of progress on this front, it's not only safer for your dog, but far more polite and respectful of other dog owners and their dogs.
Oh we do.. the moment we see another dog or hear one.. he is right back on his leash..
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:15 PM

The honeymoon phase is over and he's comfy now!!! He's now starting to see where he fits and what his job is.... I suggest teaching him a watch me command and have him do a sit/stay or down/stay when another dog approaches and have him focus on you, not the other dog or distraction. Take control of the situation so he knows that YOU are in control and he won't have to worry or take on that role. Make sense?

Work on your basic obedience in the house, outside etc... So that you don't have to worry, be sure not to tense up when you see another dog and thank him for behaving or doing as asked.
Old August 28th, 2008, 07:24 AM

Thank you!
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:05 AM

I think any aggressive dog should be kept on a leash at all times for there safety and others regardless if you hear one coming or not, isn't off leash parks ment for that. You should be careful with that because of the laws if there were ever a incident and they can happen very fast and your dog was off leash I think that would be more problems for you, just my opinion........
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:20 AM

Cool

I'm starting to think he is more aggressive on his leash.. My Buddy brought over his dog lastnight..and they played, and chased each other for hours.. Neither dog was on the leash.. Wanted to make sure they would get along becuase his dog Toby is coming for some sleep overs.. I was worried because the aggression he was showing on the path with a leash.. He was the dog I got while ago and was off his leash.. But I will keep a eye on this matter..
Old August 29th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Usually after a rescue dog/shelter dog settles in - little interesting behaviours start to arise. He obviously now feels part of the family and will 'exercise' certain behaviours and traits that you were otherwise unaware. Rescues and shelters can usually only advise new families based on observations made at their facility.

It sounds that while on leash he is exercising 'guard' tendancies. Though I am sure you appreciate the fact that he wants to ensure you are safe - this is really not what you want.

When I train my dogs I always expose them to everything that I see weakness and correct the behaviour immediately - it may take some repetition of course.

If it is too much to correct or you require assistance on how to curb and correct this - then do consult with a trainer to get hands on. Trouble shooting over the net is very difficult if the incorrect 'way' based on the tools you have (collars/leashes etc) are used. It could get very discouraging so consultation will save you aggrevation going forward.

Good luck.
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Geek Club CEO

On leash aggression is pretty common, unfortunately. We humans, attached to the other end, feed them our own nervous signals/emotions and also create "impolite" body language and behaviours in our dogs when we let the leashes go taught. If you can keep a LOOSE leash when your dog is on leash and others are around, it might help.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old August 29th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
On leash aggression is pretty common, unfortunately. We humans, attached to the other end, feed them our own nervous signals/emotions and also create "impolite" body language and behaviours in our dogs when we let the leashes go taught. If you can keep a LOOSE leash when your dog is on leash and others are around, it might help.
Excellent point. The handler usually grabs a tighter hold on the leash which sends the message 'get ready' for the dog.

I as well walk with loose leash and correct using a choker however still maintaining a loose contact on the leash. I always start across the street when there is another dog and then eventually (once across the street is no longer a threat) closer everytime I see another dog. I actually go out of my way to get closer to another dog so that I create the scenario in order to correct. Eventually, my dogs stop the behaviour once they understand that it is not acceptable and I am controlling the situation - not him/her.