Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 8th, 2014, 11:26 AM

How many is a lot?

I'm still thinking about a buddy for Sammy but now I was curious as to how many cats people have and what you feel is the most cats that people should have.

Thank you
Old April 8th, 2014, 11:38 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Can't speak to cats (we don't have any), but we do have 8 50-lb setters in the house and we don't get so many strange looks...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 8th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Two is great! I just added a second dog in my home. Cats are a little slower at introductions, but it can work and it is nice to see two cats cuddling together.
Old April 8th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

We have two cats and we are always thinking about getting more.. but space is tight! I'd say it really depends on where you are. In a big city, in an apartment I might suggest that 5+ cats might be pushing it....In a house, that many seems fine if there's lots of space and everyone gets along.

I wonder if there guidelines about this? I know my wife would want as many cats as possible - lol.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 8th, 2014, 03:18 PM

i know in some places they do have bylaws on how many cats you own...I have 3 female cats 1 stray male thats become ours and i am watching 1 male kitten plus having 2 dogs.. its alot. only 2 of my females get along, and the 2 males get along. it can be hard if you have older cats to bring in another cat or kitten.
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
We have two cats and we are always thinking about getting more.. but space is tight! I'd say it really depends on where you are. In a big city, in an apartment I might suggest that 5+ cats might be pushing it....In a house, that many seems fine if there's lots of space and everyone gets along.

I wonder if there guidelines about this? I know my wife would want as many cats as possible - lol.
I agree , it really depend how big a house you have, I feel that the house or apartment should be big enough so each pet can have their own space to take a nap or just have some alone time. And most importance thing to consider can you afford the vet bills and food for a lot cats. If one cat get sick it could spread to the other cats.
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:41 PM

Ideally it would be nice for our pets to have a buddy. They are usually left alone everyday so having a buddy to cuddle up with would be great. There is a chance that they may not get along but more than likely they will learn to accept each other especially if you work hard at properly introducing them. I introduced two dogs and a cat to each other and I'm not saying it was easy but in the end everybody gets along and they even all curl up together to nap on occasion. As long as you can give them their separate space when/if needed and you are prepared to double your vet and food bills you should be just fine. You might also want to consider the litterbox situation. I only have one cat and one box but my friend has two cats and she tells me she needs three boxes as they need to each have their own as well as an extra? Not sure about that part but maybe someone else here that has multiple cats can confirm that or not?
P.S.
I would keep them separated in the beginning if you go out just in case there is a "dispute"
Old April 8th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

The OP could try being a foster mom to a kitten with the option to adopt it if their other cat like having a playmate. I know some people that had to give their second cat away b/c their first cat was not pleases with having another cat in it house. One had a male cat and took a female cat that homeless and hungry . They got along OK and took naps together . I had a 3 floor condo so the cats where able to take a break from one another if they wanted to . This helped a lot.

Last edited by Barkingdog; April 8th, 2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
The OP could try being a foster mom to a kitten with the option to adopt it their other cat like having a playmate.
That's a great idea BarkingDog. Then OP would have an easy out should the cats really not get along.
Old April 8th, 2014, 08:10 PM

I have seven, not by choice, and can say that that's too many. Every time you bring a new one in your taking a big chance on the other cats not liking him, and then they start acting out, either by fighting or spraying. In our case it was spraying. They get along pretty good, occasional fight, but not very often. We had to put one of our cats on Prozac for the spraying, and were going to wean him off of it and see what happens. I'm not too optimistic it will work. I think two is ideal,( and much cheaper.)
Old April 9th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

There might be a municipal by-law governing how many you can have.

We've had four. Our two oldest died last year at ages 18 and 20.5. So we were down to two till just this very morning.

This morning we got one of the ferals we've been feeding all winter in the live trap and she had four wee kittens in her nest. Yay. Too late to prevent kittens happening at all but soon enough to socialize them up for placement as pets. I'm guessing they are 3 weeks old. A neighbour lady was out and saw us bringing them in and she will take a kitten.
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:01 PM

Longblades, if your neighbor is taking one that will be three left for you. It's going to be real tough saying no after raising them, and you've had four before, so whats one more?
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:45 AM

Very good advice especially a bout finding out the bylaws.

Thank you for all the opinions.