Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 28th, 2009, 02:56 PM
banned user

desirable time for staying at crate?

one of my dogs is a terminator for everything at home so i head for a crate training. It's very effective and she seems to feel safe and warm at her crate.

For most of time, she's only spent her time in a crate when eating and sleeping because i can take her out with me for work. But in the next couple of weeks i'm not able to stay with her during the day time and i don't know if it's alright to put her in a crate for the whole day till i come back at night.

Any professional advice on this? it seems to me that any kind of crate training is offensive to some uneducated animal enthusiasts, and that's actually what i hope to avoid in this discussion.
Old June 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Don't worry, most of the dog owners on here not only use crate training, but recommend it, as long as the dog isn't left in excessively long times. As for leaving her crated while you are at work that depends. Aapproximately how long are you gone for?
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old June 28th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Molly's mama

Don't feel bad about crating- it's a great training tool and once your dog gets used to it, I am sure they will enjoy their "alone time". I leave my dog in her crate when I am at work. I am usually able to come home at lunch to let her out for a bathroom break and a play, but on the rare occasions when I can't, she is in her crate for just under 8 hours and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Granted, she is almost 2 years old so her bladder is able to hold for that amount of time now. If your dog is still just a pup, 8 hours is too long to hold it.
Old June 29th, 2009, 01:00 AM
banned user

Thanks! she's 1 year old and very active all the time. If i go out for work, she possibly have to stay in her crate for 6-10 hours a day.

Since her childhood, i let her come out of my house and went wherever she wanted. What's awful was that she developed the habit of eating horse excrement which is often found outside my house. Too many feral dogs outside is also a problem.

After that, I tied her with a quite long rope, but she seemed to have psychological problem with this. Not sure if a long stay at crate is a solution for her. What's the longest hours you guys put a dog in a crate? How do you check if they like it?
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Life happens. This isn't a permanent thing - just for a couple of weeks. Make sure that she gets some decent exercise before you leave and again in the evening and she should survive just fine. If you can find someone to come and let her out, maybe take her for a walk, at lunch - well, that would be an excellent idea.
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:59 AM
banned user

exercise before i go out ... is quite impossible, but her exercise at night is really a big load. I always take her to run for 10-15 kilometers a day and make every bit of her energy exhausted. What keeps me wonder is she, a mixed toy breed, seems to have unlimited energy. She almost wanted to die after the exercise, 30 mins later she can start again to protect my home's assets from thief by destroying all values of it.
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullmau View Post
I always take her to run for 10-15 kilometers a day and make every bit of her energy exhausted. What keeps me wonder is she, a mixed toy breed, seems to have unlimited energy. She almost wanted to die after the exercise, 30 mins later she can start again to protect my home's assets from thief by destroying all values of it.
Of course she would "almost want to die" after running 10-15 kilometres.... she is a toy breed!!!! There is no reason you need to be running her this far!
Old June 29th, 2009, 08:09 AM
banned user

it's actually fine for a toy breed possibly because she's less pulled by the force of gravity. Since her age at 6 months, I've been running her from 1 km, 2km , 5km , 10km to 20km and 25km per day, in which i found 10-15km, with 2-3 breaks and different paces in between, is the most appropriate. She can always have her renaissance back within 30 mins. If you ever pull her leash, ya know she's Hercules.

Recently, I've ran another dog which is even smaller than mine. After 2 months training, his pace is slow but his stamina is even greater than my friend's large dog.
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I'm a softy

several shorter walks are better than one super long one. They will get their energy back, so she will be tired for a bit and then want to go again.

As for the crate that long, personally I don't like it, up to 10 hours.. What about an ex-pen? Or a room, like a bathroom? That you can puppy proof, turn on some music, leave toys, chewys and a kong, and a wee wee pad? Or if she is a small dog, what about a kennel meant for a giant breed? So she can still move around, play, chew, entertain herself, and pee?

Or what about a dog walker? Is there someone, or a teen in your neighborhood that needs a little job this summer that can come once a day and take the pup for a walk for 30 minutes or so?

It really would be best to get 2 or 3 walks in, or 2 walks and aplay time in the yard or park everyday. It is great you get her out every night, but just sounds like it isn't meeting her needs. Good luck finding something to help her!
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Skylar's Farm

lUvMyLab<3.....Don't waste your time......Dullmau has been banned.
Old June 29th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Good riddance to the troller from some top-secret backwards country where dogs are beaten in the streets with sticks....

I'm sorry for the dogs you've "rescued".....I almost wonder if they were better off feral. :sad:

This person's posts quite honestly made me ill.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl