Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 19th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Angry The President's Kids want a Westie...I am so SAD!!!

I just read the new People magazine yesterday and saw that the new US President has promised to get his children a dog when they get settled…and the kids choice is a Westie that they want to call, Snowball!!!

Who can I write to in order to BEG these folks not to!!!

As some of you know, I am with Westie Rescue of Canada and we get so many Westies in because someone saw that STUPID Ceasar’s commercial and they want a Maggie!!! Then cute Maggie turns into a terrier…and out she/he goes! If these folks get a Westie, the rescues in the US will be inundated with Westies…and the puppy millers will breed Westies like they are going out of style!

I would love them to go to the Humane Society and get a “mutt”…and then when the press says “What kind of a dog is it” they reply “A sweet one!” and not say that it is a such and such cross or what ever, because as sure as shoot, the puppy millers will run with that as well and start breeding the cross like gangbusters!

In the People magazine it also said that Mrs. Obama wore a certain dress when she appeared on the View and then the dress sold out in 10 minutes…so if folks follow her on her choice of dress…a dog is not far behind!

I am SAD!!!
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM
cat slave

........they ARE going to the shelter to get their dog....that what i read. I also read they want a goldendoodle. And Obama said that they want a mutt from the shelter like himself...that was the quote lol

i wouldn't read into everything the media says you know
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, they might become a little bit more popular but any breed of dog that they choose would have had the same effect. Is it because it is a Westie or do you feel the same way about any breed that enters the White House.

I am just curious, if they will get the dog at a Humane Society or a breeder. I am assuming they will get the dog through a shelter.

ACO22
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

There will always be a 'pet of the year'. I hope they do go to a rescue or shelter - this will make a huge inpact I hope.

Anyways, my main concern or question would be if they are suitable to have a dog, and if they are then so be it.
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Obama said they were considering getting a shelter dog but that they wanted a dog that was hypoallergenic. I saw the interview. Haven't heard what, if anything, they have decided on, yet.

If you want to try to get through, Corrie, check to see if any of the campaigning websites are still up. Maybe you can get an email through to someone that way? Good luck!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually of course they are going to get it through a sheler. Even if they wanted to get it from a breeder, for public image, they will get it from a shelter. And yes, I would have voted for Mr. Obama.

ACO22
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel you have something here....

Why doesn't the rescue reach out to them? This would be great publicity for the rescue and for them as well.
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Hazel you have something here....

Why doesn't the rescue reach out to them? This would be great publicity for the rescue and for them as well.
That is a good idea.

ACO22
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM
chronically insane.

Wow, and you actually listened to what People magazine had to say?

Their daughter is allergic to dogs, they should just get a cat instead in my opinion.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I have a solution then Kathryn: 'foster with intent to adopt'! Whether that be cat or dog...I am certain that any rescue would consider this.

Oh my wheels are just turning now - wish I was a rescue in the US to jump onto this!
Old November 19th, 2008, 02:46 PM

From what I read they ARE adopting. They want a westie because one fo the daughters is allergic to dogs. They were also looking into a GoldenDoodle
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old November 19th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Why should he not be able to get a dog? He has just as much right to one as any of us do.. Its unfair to assume he shouldnt get a dog becauyse bybs and millers are stupid.. I bet if the article said he was going to a get a german shepherd you wouldnt have cared half as much that BYBs and millers were going to start breedng morre of them.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:50 PM

AC022…because I am with Westie Rescue, it is personally a Westie that I am so worried about, however (as I mentioned in my post) whatever breed they do get (pure or mixed) I am hoping the puppy millers don’t go full force with that breeding!

BabyMama..you are quite wrong! I LOVE German Sheppards, they are great dogs and I would have been concerned no matter what dog was mentioned.

Also, because I am with Westie Rescue and I saw the picture of the Westie in the People magazine I thought “Oh no..not again” only because we have so many problems here is Canada with Westies because of that Ceasar’s commercial (I am not sure it is in the US??) but I would be VERY sorry for any breed that becomes the “breed of the month” because it is such a problem for rescues!!! Anyone remember that 101 Dalmations movie!!!

BabyMama, I am not sure if you have ever worked in Rescue but I can tell you from experience that when you drive for hours to pick up a Westie who was purchased because the family liked the “Maggie Commercial” to find a dog who has been forced to live in a cage in the garage for the last 4 months cause the “novelty” has worn off, it really start to get to you!!!
Old November 19th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

It doesn't matter what breed they get because whatever they do decide on....there will be a mass breeding frenzy to supply the demand and ample sleezy byb's and mills to capitalize on the money to be had. We all know byb's and mills equal greed.
Just about every pure breed has it's quirks, Westie's are the "poster child" for addison's disease.
Look what happened with the Taco Bell commercials and the Chihuahuas.
The movie "Omen" brought a frenzy of Rotti breeders and gave them a bad name associating them with evil but they still sold. Greed.
If they adopt a mix breed.....holy cow, the spay/neuter programs will close and every weekend you will see children peddling puppies in front of every grocery store.
If they got a Parakeet....
The kids have not had a pet, they will be a busy family so my answer is the same as another recent post. TOYS R US. Get a stuffed animal, Christmas is coming and with the economy the way it is I am sure they could deal with that kind of shopping frenzy.
Fad's sell.
Old November 19th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I agree if they get a dog, then there will be a run on those breeds of dogs. Wonder why they waited until now to get a dog?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 19th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I agree if they get a dog, then there will be a run on those breeds of dogs. Wonder why they waited until now to get a dog?
Because it is cute and endearing, and it sells the family.

Toys R Us!

History lesson....does anyone know what made the teddy bear so popular?
Old November 19th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Performance Spaniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Apparently they've talked about it for a while and have agreed to wait until they are settled after their move. Seems they are trying to be responsible.
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:13 AM

http://www.obamafamilydog.com/
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Obsessed animal lover

I understand why there is a concern about which dog the Obama family gets and how it will influence the public. And hopefully they do opt to adopt a shelter dog. From what I've read, it does seem that they want to do that but they have to consider their daughter's allergies. I'm not sure getting a cat would be the answer as a cat's dander gets spread all over them when they lick themselves. So why can't we just praise their intentions and realize that their choice isn't solely because of a commercial but out of concern for their daughter's?

Last edited by Ford; November 20th, 2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
AC022…because I am with Westie Rescue, it is personally a Westie that I am so worried about, however (as I mentioned in my post) whatever breed they do get (pure or mixed) I am hoping the puppy millers don’t go full force with that breeding!

BabyMama..you are quite wrong! I LOVE German Sheppards, they are great dogs and I would have been concerned no matter what dog was mentioned.

Also, because I am with Westie Rescue and I saw the picture of the Westie in the People magazine I thought “Oh no..not again” only because we have so many problems here is Canada with Westies because of that Ceasar’s commercial (I am not sure it is in the US??) but I would be VERY sorry for any breed that becomes the “breed of the month” because it is such a problem for rescues!!! Anyone remember that 101 Dalmations movie!!!

BabyMama, I am not sure if you have ever worked in Rescue but I can tell you from experience that when you drive for hours to pick up a Westie who was purchased because the family liked the “Maggie Commercial” to find a dog who has been forced to live in a cage in the garage for the last 4 months cause the “novelty” has worn off, it really start to get to you!!!
I hear you Corrie. I have been through this as well after the 101 dalmations just months after the movie aired....the shelter ended up euthanizing more than they adopted....and those dogs still came in years after.

We are now seeing this happen with 'fashion breeds' such as the GoldenDoodle, labradoodle what next??

In saying this however, there is no way to stop this from happening until the darn governments get rid of these puppymills and petstores stopping the sale of animals once and for all.

If they do get a dog then I do hope it is from a shelter or rescue. It would have been better in my opinion that they had a dog prior or did not make an annoucement that they were getting one. L4H brings up a very good point!
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post
Because it is cute and endearing, and it sells the family.

Toys R Us!

History lesson....does anyone know what made the teddy bear so popular?
No, could you share it with us?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

I believe the Teddy Bear started here in Canada by a member of the military if my memory serves me correctly. There was a young cub that was chained and a soldier named him Teddy. I am not sure about this but I think the bear was a mascot....
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:58 AM

OK, I have a soft spot in my heart for Westies. I am surprised the family would consider this breed. I know that certain terriers are low-shed, but I would still think allergies could be an issue. I can hope that the Westie won't be viewed as the "dog of the month", but I am afraid that what ever type of dog the Obama family selects will be so forced down the public's throat that many little kids in America will want the dog the first daughters have.

The Bush family has two Scotties, but it hasn't seemed like everyone wants a Scottie. In my area it is very uncommon to see a Scottie. In nearly 14 years, I've only seen 5-6 other Scotties--and trust me, I am looking for these. But the Bushes are not a popular family, therefore, the dogs haven't caught on as much. Which is good, since Scotties can be quite nasty. Now, the Westie. You have to admit they are absolutely adorable dogs with their shiny eyes, black button nose, immaculate white coat. And I'm sure that this is how every dog Corrie picks up looks like--right?

The Obama family is new, and appeals to the American public. Regardless of politics, they are a young and attractive family. This appeals to my country. The things they do will be mimicked by the public. If people are already copying Michelle's clothes and hair--why not the dog. And that is sad. I'm really hoping they don't fall for the "golden-doodle" idea either. This will be detrimental to the golden and poodle for decades. These mixed mutts are all over the place now. I can't imagine what will happen if the President's family picks one of these. I really hope they pick a Heinz-57 that is the true mutt and a one-of-a-kind.

And Corrie, thanks for all the work you do with Westies. I'm sure you don't hear that often enough.

Oh, and about the Teddy Bear....Apparently Theodore Roosevelt was a huge hunter. On a hunting trip a bear cub was tied to a tree and Roosevelt told to shoot it. Roosevelt said it was unsportsmanly and refused. Although he didn't shoot the bear, he did ask that it be destroyed and put out of its misery. There were political cartoons made about this. A stuffed toy was fashioned and the bear became "Teddy's Bear". Children fell in love with the toy. So the bear was named for U.S. Pres. T. Roosevelt.

Check this link for the history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_bear
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the Teddy Bear story ...I am going to find out some more.

And indeed I hope they don't get the golden-whatever! They are already coming into rescues and many with 'problems'!
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

BUt the ponit is this. They have a right to get a dog. Simple as that. Its not the families fault that people are nieve(sp?) ... Maybe, since they are probably going to get a rescue dog, more people would be inclined to get a shelter dog then a Mill dog or whatever... They want a dog, and they should have one. Why should they have to pay just because puppy millers and bybs are stupid and some people are nieve? Just my
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
BUt the ponit is this. They have a right to get a dog. Simple as that. Its not the families fault that people are nieve(sp?) ... Maybe, since they are probably going to get a rescue dog, more people would be inclined to get a shelter dog then a Mill dog or whatever... They want a dog, and they should have one. Why should they have to pay just because puppy millers and bybs are stupid and some people are nieve? Just my
Babymomma - no one is disputing this. There are just some concerns - that's all. Rescues and shelters get the 'most popular last year dog' and most are destroyed.

But Babymomma the question should really be: Why are they deciding this now and why are they making it public?

Absolutely they are entitled to get a dog....so when I get a dog I will be sure to get a hold of the media to advertise right???
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I think they should get a dog, that it is impossible to tell what breed it is, and just leave it at that...A One of a kind dog that will be impossible for peopl;e to try to breed it. Im hoping that if they decide to adopt, that more people will be looking at a shelter dog then getting one from a breeder/miller/BYB
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
I think they should get a dog, that it is impossible to tell what breed it is, and just leave it at that.. One of a kind dog. Im hoping that if they decide to adopt, that more people will be looking at a shelter dog then getting one from a breeder/miller/BYB
I am with you Babymomma - but..but..but.. ok never mind.
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:38 PM

Teddy bear came from Teddy Roosevelt,an American president who was also very into hunting.He once refused to shoot a bear cub with it's mother.Press decided very cute and a toymaker came out with Teddy bears.As far as breeds becoming popular I've had my beardie and my collie and my cairn for many years.Lassie,Toto and the Shaggy dog there not.Breed fads develop for so many reasons the only thing people in rescue can do is try to educate people before they get a new puppy or help clean up after the stupid fad ends.
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Doggie Wench

Even "rescued" dogs can become a fad. I can't tell you the number of times I hear ppl brag they "rescued" a dog from a shelter, from a neighbor, from a byb, from the internet etc. and still many don't know enough to have the dogs s/n nor the amount of time and energy a dog needs. Many of them give up the dogs because they weren't properly self-informed . So no, just because someone wants a dog, doesn't mean they should have one .

I agree Benmax, why make it so public? Because the story sells?

I just hope the family knows what it entails to be responsible dog owners. That would be a good story!