Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 31st, 2004, 12:29 PM

Unhappy Leaving my kitty alone for a week

Hello there. My husband and i recently made plans to visit disney world with our friends in June for 8 days. We've been living with our cat, Sammy since he was born 2 years ago. We haven't left him alone (not even overnight) since our honeymoon last year. We left Sammy with my mom at her house but turns out, he misbahaved a bit and i'm afraid they won't go for it a second time. I've decided to leave Sammy home for the week we go away and have my mom/sister/dad come by twice a day to feed him and play with him a bit. But i cant help having the gut-wrenching guilt that 8 days is way too long to leave him. So, i guess i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or if anyone could calm my doubts. Thanks, Kristina
Old January 31st, 2004, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Cats are much better off and happier in their own homes. If your family comes at least twice a day and can spend some time with Sammy, he should be okay.

He's not going to like it if he's never been alone, though,and a week is a long time for a cat by himself.

I've left my cats for over a week, but there were always at least two, so they had company.

Any chance of adopting a little friend for him before you go? A female kitten would be just the thing to keep him from getting lonely and sad.
Old January 31st, 2004, 01:52 PM

Angry

I have actually thought about adopting another kitten, i would love to. Two things have stopped me though, it was a small struggle to convince my landlord to allow us to move in with sammy, so i'm not sure how he'd react to another. Though, my husband says we could give it a shot and see what he says. Sammy hasn't been any trouble, he's such a good boy. the other reservation i have about adopting is, Sammy is very attached to me, i've recently began working at home and since then e's gotten very very attached and teritorial, i'm not sure how he'd react to another kitten, what do you think?
Old January 31st, 2004, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Since Sammy has never interacted with other cats, you would need to introduce them gradually.

If you really want another cat, the best chance of success would be with a female kitten about 3 or 4 months old. You would need to put her in a room for a length of time, depending on how Sammy reacts to her. Let them sniff each other under the door, rub them both with the same towel, feed them great treats on either side of the door. Then you can open the door a crack and let them sniff noses. There might be a hiss or two - but that's normal!

My big tomcat was bored and whiney until I got my foster kitten - a female about 9 weeks old. Now he plays with her all day, cuddles and wrestles with and grooms her, and is very happy!

I would have no hesitation about going away and leaving them together - they would be just fine.

If you do get a kitten, try and get one that is used to being with lots of other cats, as my kitten was.
Old January 31st, 2004, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Kristina,you got some great advice from Lucky...another kitten is just what your cat needs.
I always feel sooo awful when we go away,although one of my sons stays here for the duration.My cats know right away,when the suitcase comes up,something is happening....
The worst for them is,I think,the change in their routine,I could set the clock by them
When I got my last little kitten,he had his own little litter-box and stayed in a seperate room at night,it has french doors so they could get a good look at each other and slowly curiosity took over.
My Rocky puts up with all kinds of harassment from Vinnie,but Chico will never accept him,he does not fight,but hisses and growls.I think part of my problem is,I have three males.
You should do well with a little female,I honestly think you should always have two cats,your landlord,unless you rent in a private house,will probably not even notice if they are indoor cats.
Old January 31st, 2004, 05:31 PM

Hi Anita, Thanks for advice, My husband and I are leaning more towards getting a another kitten now that i've spoken to you and to Lucky. My husband feels the same as you, my landlord may not even notice. we rent a house from him and he lives across the street so he's hardly ever over the house.
You're right about the routine-- Sammy is definately not an independant little guy..... he reminds us of a puppy sometimes the way he is so needy of our attention. He wakes me up by pulling the covers off my head a minute before my alarm every single morning for his breakfast and at 5pm when dad gets home he knows it's time for dinner. He's like clockwork. he has been getting a bit whiney and bored, like Lucky's cat was.....so i do think it would be better for him and for us to bring in another kitten. we haven't been away in so long and it's hard to stay home when we need the break, but we do for Sammy. we just want to do what's best for him, thanks again for the advice.
Old January 31st, 2004, 05:33 PM
Chocolate

getting a stepbrother or sister for Sammy is a wonderful idea!!

that's what I got for Chocolate and life couldn't be better.

this one lady told me when she was adopting another dog...

"like humans need a life companion, so do dogs"

... well, cats too!!

Old January 31st, 2004, 05:40 PM

luckyrescue, Thank you SO much for your advice. My husband and I are discussing this in length. i just had a few more questions for you, if you don't mind.
Sammy has been neutered but we opted not to declaw him. Instead we get his nails clipped regularly. he's a feisty little guy and my concern was him hurting a little kitten with those nails.
And how about jealousy, do they get jealous and angry when they have to share...especially when he's used to being the king of the house?
Sammy is half siamese and a VERY vocal cat.....lately he's been like your cat, very Whiney and bored. he's been seeking more attention than usual and he always has something to say. i think this would be an ideal thing for him. the above were my only concerns. thanks again.
Old January 31st, 2004, 06:04 PM
Chocolate

Kristina...

I suggest u look for the temperament/personality of another cat rather than breed exclusively for your Sammy.

lucky for u, there's PLENTY of kittens/cats to choose from at any of u'r neighbourhood rescues/shelters/vets

Old January 31st, 2004, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Siamese....hmmm. They CAN be a little feisty and territorial, but I still think with proper and slow introductions, it can work. The whole key is patience and gradual introductions. It may not be necessary, but better to err on the side of caution, as messed up intros can ruin everything! I cannot emphasize this enough.

You must be sure to give Sammy lots of attention after you get the new kitten. Cats, unlike dogs, have no "pack hierarchy" and do not guard possessions from each other so I wouldn't worry over that.

You need to get a docile, laid back and sweet little girl for Sammy, like this one!
!Brigitte

I personally have never had an adult male cat who would harm a young female, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I would say the odds are against Sammy clawing a kitten. BTW, glad to hear you didn't subject Sammy to the barbaric and cruel practice of declawing!

One thing you may look into is fostering a kitten for a cat rescue. This way you can find out if it will work, without having to make a lifetime committment! I think this is a great option for someone who isn't sure.

And just be very sure your landlord won't make you get rid of one of them if he finds out!
Old January 31st, 2004, 11:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky I agree fully about the torture of declawing a cat,I once told a friend thinking of declawing his cat,to get an aquarium....cats come with claws
Old February 1st, 2004, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Anita, I think it's often a matter of education. We have people wanting to adopt from us and saying they expect to declaw.

We talk to them and give them literature outlining the declaw procedure. Often they are horrified because they thought it was just like nail clipping, and have no idea of the mutilation and cruelty of the procedure.

We can't change everyone's mind, but many are convinced and swear they will never declaw another cat.
Old February 1st, 2004, 10:21 AM
Senior Contributor

My vet,Hazel,although knowing she could make a bundle on declawing,kindly refused to mutilate kittens,often losing a patient to another vet.Often she was able to talk owners out of it..
I am not proud of the fact,but having gone through several sofas and several cats,we decided a few years ago to buy leather,not to popular as a scratching post
Training cats with a little spray-bottle of water helps and hubbie built a floor to ceiling cat-tree,but there will always be little cat-signs all over the house.
I don't consider that a problem,as you know I had a bigger problem:-) My leg is starting to heal and Rocky is showing no side affects or adverse reaction the the Derma-gel,only time will tell if he'll go crazy again.
Old February 1st, 2004, 10:46 AM

yes, Declawing sounds so evil to me. i have pet scratches in my house, OH well, i chose to have a cat! i would never do something so cruel, i pictured someone chopping off my finger nails.
The fostering sounds great, actually. JUST in case the kitty's don't get along. well guys, you've conviced us. i spent the whole night last night very excited about doing this. i'm going to talk to my land lord soon and then maybe Lucky you could help me out with who to call, where to go. Thanks again!
Old February 1st, 2004, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Kristina,I am glad you decided to get a little"buddie"for you cat,hopefully the landlord won't mind,one or two cats does not really make that big a difference.
As for declawing,it actually involves more than "just"removing the claws.part of the bone in their paws have to be chopped off,otherwise the claws would just grow back...
I am sure it will work out with a new kitten,it just takes a little time and paitience.I've had a lot of cats over the years and have yet to see a serious cat-fight(between cats ).
If you do foster a kitten,don't give up too easily,like many people do,it takes time for them to adjust both for the new kitten and your cat,but your cat will thank you for it. Good Luck!
Ps.A friend of mine has 3 Seal point Siamese cats,one 19yrs old and 2 regular SH tabbies they get along fine,although boy,are those Siamese noisy
Old February 1st, 2004, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Kristina, just go to Petfinder , type in "cat" "baby" and "female" and your location.

A huge list of shelters and rescues and all their cats will come up.

I still think Brigitte (who I posted above) would be a good match for your boy.
Old February 1st, 2004, 12:52 PM
Chocolate

I loooooooooooooove Petfinder

definitely an excellent source to check out!!!

Old February 1st, 2004, 04:31 PM

thank you all soooo much for your advice, it's helped tremendously. Fostering sounds like a great idea although i'm not sure i would ever decide to give the kitty back unless they didn't get along. i have faith sammy will be a good big brother. And i'd love to help another kitty find a home.
as for declawing, i know it's horrible, i've actually talked my sister in law out of doing it to her persian recently. she's very glad she didn't do it, her cat turned out to be so loveable and doesnt scratch a thing beyond his scratching post.
oh yes, these siamese are very noisy.....but they're so great at the same time...such strong personalities.
Brigette is beautiful and hopefully she's still available for me in a few weeks...if not, then i'm sure she found a good home and i'll look into petfinder. Thank you all again