Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old January 8th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
Your referring to your cats who live indoor no? Too many strays to count that kill birds just to survive or eat their eggs, hawks too but humans hunt them down too keeping them incheck.
Yes, maybe they have been too well fed to bother to go through the effort???

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:34 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

My point is will it ever end is all
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Because there are a lot of people who don't believe the world environmental (including wild animal issues) problems are actually due to human overpopulation. I have spoken to people who get very upset when the topic comes up.
Your right
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
I know this is waaaaaayyyy off topic and I may be bashed for it, but the only way to save our environment is to stop the human population growth. We are taking over too much of the animal's habitat.
No bashing here, I totally agree. Our earth will not be able to sustain us all at the rate the human population is growing.
And god forbid people get told to limit the amount of children they have, After all it's against their human RIGHTS! How ironic, our rights may be the very thing that destroys us all.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You don't know how refreshing it is to see that particular idea come up! I've been advocating population control for years, with very...well....let's just say 'mixed' reactions

The sad truth is, though, that just like the deer in this parkland, humans will either learn to control our population or in the end starvation and disease will do it for us.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I'm a softy

Letting go of tree long enough to type....

I agree Hazel. . The land cant support many deer because cities, farms, ect, have changed the landscape, so we reduce the number of deer. But cities and farms grow, so in 5 or 10 years, what then? Reduce again? It isnt and never can be a sustainable plan... We have no bison anymore, that is not the fault of man? So many species have gone the way of the dodo bird because of habitat loss.
I am not saying deer over people no no, just, this is not a good solution to a really big a** problem, thats all. .

Now, my tree misses me, please excuse me.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Farms aren't growing. Not here, at least. They're being built over with the new slum--subdivisions. We're at the edge of the cliff and on our way over.

Quote:
The land cant support many deer because cities, farms, ect, have changed the landscape
I disagree about this, though. As I mentioned above--before the pioneers populated WI there were only maybe 150,000 white tails here. Current estimates of herd size put it at 1.3 to 1.5 million. That was all made possible by agriculture and the changes humans made to the landscape. But because the deer population is now so inflated, harsh management measures become necessary (like the culling that is the topic of this thread).

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I'm a softy

I guess i mean culling in general, as it may happen here too. . . Here its the farms, that are no longer 1/4 section mixed operations, but 21 section high intensity grain farms, they clear the land, drain the water, then the deer get pushed, they cannot survive in open mb prairie. . . Then you look up north a bit, where there is sooo much yet untouched, and such perfect harmony. . . Until. . . They start drilling or mining or whatever i am sure they will do, and deer, moose, elk, will all have to fight for parkland. There used to be antelope here, they are gone, millions of bison also gone, mule deer very rare, elk now rare even when i was a kid you would see huge herds, moose you rarely see outside the park, i find it very sad.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:46 AM
An Honest Contributor

It appears the cull began yesterday ...

Last edited by Ford; January 9th, 2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Must be approved by admin
Old January 9th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks for the update, GG

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:26 AM
An Honest Contributor

Your welcome L4H's. Jim Hall, do you live near these parks & where this protest is taking place?
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Kitty pimp

yes i do we go up there a lot they are so tame its eerie
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
Ohhhhh, that is not good, they won't fear the hunters.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 10th, 2010, 08:19 AM
An Honest Contributor

I should of known posting protests isn't permitted, my apologies.

The hunt didn't began Friday but Monday. There was a peaceful protest yesterday http://www.northjersey.com/news/envi..._in_force.html

I've never had the opportunity to see a deer up close (except once in the back of of pickup )I'm sure though seeing nature at it's best would be amazing.
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
I should of known posting protests isn't permitted, my apologies.

The hunt didn't began Friday but Monday. There was a peaceful protest yesterday http://www.northjersey.com/news/envi..._in_force.html

I've never had the opportunity to see a deer up close (except once in the back of of pickup )I'm sure though seeing nature at it's best would be amazing.
OMG, their eyes make your heart melt . I have resident orphan twins (they were born in our neighbour's yard) that are not so afraid of people , their momma was hit by a car when they were only 6 weeks old, still had their fawn spots . They come running up to me when I go out to the feeders, not good at all. I think they didn't have their momma long enough to show them to be scared of humans.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 10th, 2010, 09:03 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
sorry didn't realize you visit these parks
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
OMG, their eyes make your heart melt
Many mornings Melinda and I are on msn where suddendly she'll tell me they're in her back yard ... so envious
Old January 10th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Many mornings Melinda and I are on msn where suddendly she'll tell me they're in her back yard ... so envious
I have them in my backyard too.

On Friday, one of the "twins" was only about 15 feet from me. They don't even have fear of the big bucks

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64402

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 11th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

our deer are back as of this weekend, 5 down from our 17 of last year, so this means food is once again scarce in the bush across from us. Only one turkey so far this year also. The ministry knows there are two yards that have feed out for them and acknowledges that its good (as long as its natural feed they can get in the bush/fields etc) this keeps the deer from approaching the city limits and causing accidents. I'm from a long line of hunters, but.....the buck stopped here (pun intended) I know this may be off topic, but its a story I hold dear to my heart.

I grew up seeing deer hanging off our swing set being "bled", geese and ducks were also a common sight, I'm from a farming family. My dad grew up hunting from the time he could hold a rifle. at age 37 my dad had his first heart attack and was forbidden to tramp around in the bush by his doctor so hunting was now out for him. Fast forward to the year my dad was 48 and had open heart surgery (5 by passes), in those days they stopped your heart and a machine kept you alive while your heart was repaired. 5 months later the doctor gave him the A-OK to resume his hockey, his hunting, etc. Proud as a peacock he got all his gear ready and out he went with my cousin. Shot himself a huge buck.....stood beside it looking down.....fell to his knee's and bawled his eyes out....gave the buck to my cousin, came home and gave away all his hunting equipment. We called his doctor and he said it was a very common thing, see....the mind reminds him that he was "dead" on the table...and brought to life after the surgery....and to see that he killed another living creature was too much for him after what he went through....he never hunted again in his five remaining years on this earth and I know he's now watching over me as I lug out the deer feed to the back field and smiling.....

ok, sorry to get off the topic.
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
our deer are back as of this weekend, 5 down from our 17 of last year, so this means food is once again scarce in the bush across from us. Only one turkey so far this year also. The ministry knows there are two yards that have feed out for them and acknowledges that its good (as long as its natural feed they can get in the bush/fields etc) this keeps the deer from approaching the city limits and causing accidents. I'm from a long line of hunters, but.....the buck stopped here (pun intended) I know this may be off topic, but its a story I hold dear to my heart.

I grew up seeing deer hanging off our swing set being "bled", geese and ducks were also a common sight, I'm from a farming family. My dad grew up hunting from the time he could hold a rifle. at age 37 my dad had his first heart attack and was forbidden to tramp around in the bush by his doctor so hunting was now out for him. Fast forward to the year my dad was 48 and had open heart surgery (5 by passes), in those days they stopped your heart and a machine kept you alive while your heart was repaired. 5 months later the doctor gave him the A-OK to resume his hockey, his hunting, etc. Proud as a peacock he got all his gear ready and out he went with my cousin. Shot himself a huge buck.....stood beside it looking down.....fell to his knee's and bawled his eyes out....gave the buck to my cousin, came home and gave away all his hunting equipment. We called his doctor and he said it was a very common thing, see....the mind reminds him that he was "dead" on the table...and brought to life after the surgery....and to see that he killed another living creature was too much for him after what he went through....he never hunted again in his five remaining years on this earth and I know he's now watching over me as I lug out the deer feed to the back field and smiling.....

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 11th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor

right after I finished typing I looked out the window and saw my gardeners had arrived to trim my apple and cherry trees *L*

ok, this one has to be removed...

well? how am I doing?

Old January 11th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
thank you, that hug was definately needed...*S*
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:

Now crying in my morning coffee

That is the the most touching story, It's so true how much we take for granted in life, even life itself (even if it is "Only" an animals) But life is so precious, even an animals life.
I'm sure your Dad is shining down on you and all that you do for the little critters

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old January 11th, 2010, 09:19 AM
An Honest Contributor

Melinda thank you for sharing that story with us and taking photo's of a peaceful Doe ps Melinda sneezed and this is the look she got (in the last photo)

I agree HappyCats ... her dad is smiling looking down at Ms Doolittle

off topic

Quote:
I have them in my backyard too.
On Friday, one of the "twins" was only about 15 feet from me. They don't even have fear of the big bucks
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64402
Oh I though you typed "had" when was the last time you seen the twins?

Last edited by Golden Girls; January 11th, 2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Melinda thank you for sharing that story with us and taking photo's of a peaceful Doe ps Melinda sneezed and this is the look she got (in the last photo)

I agree HappyCats ... her dad is smiling looking down at Ms Doolittle

off topic

Oh I though you typed "had" when was the last time you seen the twins?
I had a heart attack on Friday when I went out to feed the deer as there was only one , didn't see them on Saturday, was very upset, but they came to feed yesterday

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 11th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
right after I finished typing I looked out the window and saw my gardeners had arrived to trim my apple and cherry trees *L*

ok, this one has to be removed...

well? how am I doing?

Ahhhhhhhh, aren't they the best pruners

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 12th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

My parents sent me this pic, taken just yesterday,isn't he a beauty He comes every day for his feed
Attached Images

Old January 12th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
My parents sent me this pic, taken just yesterday,isn't he a beauty He comes every day for his feed
Awwwww

It looks like there is a lot of corn in that feed, just to let you know that deer can die from too much starch in corn, so they should not be feed only corn.

http://www.austinwildliferescue.org/..._for_deer.html

I mix this with a custom beef feed that has corn, oats, barley, and molasses:

http://backyardwildlife.ca/rumenitisp44.php

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 12th, 2010, 08:13 AM
An Honest Contributor

aww his tongue is out

Interesting! The HSUS voiced their disagreement with bow hunting, share deer management stragedies & why they are sponsoring immunocontraception research http://www.humanesociety.org/news/pr...nt_110509.html
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:20 AM
An Honest Contributor

HAHA Melinda is holding her labtop to the window so I am viewing via "video call" the three deer on her lawn, YAY technology