Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

what is a crate????

just want to know what a crate is, you read alot about them here but i have never seen one (we live in australia and i have never in all my days seen such a thing used for training). is it a large cage?? like the kind poultry is transported in?? and why do you use crates, is it due to having a flat, no yard or something? and do your dogs get to hang outside when they want?? we just house train and yard train our dogs and they just hang about in those places without any problems coming and going as they wish, i leave them outside when i go out and they are very happy and have never done anything naughty thanks all
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:14 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hi

Melanie a crate is another name for a cage yes. Some of them are made of plastic others of metal.

Crate training a dog is to keep them out of mischief and give them their own space of safety and security it also keeps them from getting hurt...especially when you aren't home to supervise them.

It's most ideal for dogs that have been recently adopted from shelters, puppies or dogs with normally destructive behaviours due to separation anxiety and such.

I hope that helps a little.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:20 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Here is a picture of a crate

and a cute picture of a doggie stroller LOL

Attached Images

Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Until fairly recently, crates were virtually unknown, exept for in the show dog world.

This is because previously, no one got a puppy if they were out all day. Now people who are gone 9 or so hours a day still want puppies.

Crates can certainly be handy tools in the housebreaking process, but crates are being used in abusive ways now, with dogs spending more time in them than out of them, resulting in many dogs with behavior problems stemming from the isolation and confinement.

To me, leaving a dog or puppy in a crate all day is unacceptable and inhumane. If you have no time for a puppy, don't get one.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I've been looking for an alternative to the"difficult-to-get-a cat-into"carriers I have,the oldfashioned plastic ones with the small gate...Love the stroller,no,I don't want one,but the part they are sitting in looks great...
I've even thought of a cratelike carrier,where the cat could have full view,but have not found one small enough to carry.
Any ideas?
Luba keep sending puppy-pics,he's adorable!
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,I agree with you,putting any animal in a cage for the whole day is cruel,but it seems to be the thing to do nowadays..
When I had my dogs,there was no such thing as putting a dog in a crate.I can see using it as a safe place for the dog,his own place with the door open.
I am not asking for a crate to leave my cats in,just something better than I have,I have to start chasing my cats half an hour before going to the vet,just the sight of the carrier and they are gone
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:09 PM
Chocolate

OMG OMGOMGOMGOMGOGMOGMGOGMOG

That stroller is the CUTEST THING I have ever seen!!!

(u know what I mean, LOL)

that's a FAAAAAAAAAAAAAANTASTIC IDEA!!!

but wait. my dogs can walk fine on their own...

taking a cat or a small doggie on a long walk... I LOVE it!!!

*2 thumbs up*
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:11 PM

crates

my 2 dogs were both crate trained from when they came home as puppies and we found them a really valuable training tool. After the first year however, once housebreaking was done, we didn't leave them in them when we left the house. Our 2 year old dog hasn't slept in hers for about a year now, but occasionally it comes in handy, like when we have dinner guests or a kids birthday party and we need a brief period without the dog (who still like's to steal food from little hands once in a while )
My 8 year old dog is never crated now.

We also found that when travelling that if we needed to bring our dog with us that our hosts were quite a bit more willing when they knew our dog would sleep in their crate. If you ever need to transport your dog by plane or something, or your dog spends some time at the vet overnight being accepting of a crate can be of great benefit.

I agree they should not be misused, but there are a great many benefits.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:42 PM
Senior Contributor

My beagle has resource guarding issues. Usually related to fresh bones. I have a crate that is used when she get a fresh bone.

Other then that, the crate is just something for my children to store things on.

Both of my dogs are older however. My next pup will be crate trained and I will know that my dog is safe when I am unable to watch it.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:55 PM
Senior Contributor

One semi-feral cat I was fostering gave me a terrible fight to get her into her carry case for adoption clinics.

So I started feeding her in her carry case every day. I started out with super yummy stuff, like chicken, then just fed her all her meals in there. I used an open wire cat cage for her so she wouldn't feel trapped.

This worked quite well.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:56 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

So very true LuckyR...you always seem to say what everyone thought but never put in words. They are so very badly misused.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Lucky.an open wire cage is exactly what I am looking for,but one small enough to carry.Everything I have found is too big..Maybe HS,I'll check their store..
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:05 AM
Senior Contributor

I can't get over some of the carriers they have out now.

I was at Pet Smart and I was amazed.

They have carriers for cats and small dogs that are made of a heavy material and almost looks like an over sized purse.It's very sturdy too.There is no gate.It actually zips up in the front.

What will they think of next.....LOL
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL, those strollers are great, my girl can walk fine but is lazy so she would just love it, just imagine me pushing a 35kg shepherd down the road, hmmm... i have never heard of crate training till i came here, but it seems to be a solution to anxiety seperation probs, boy did i lose alot of candles and things when i first got her 8 years ago. I have seen such things used to store pigging dogs/ hunting dogs on trucks ect. my girl just has so much freedom, i just couldnt imagine putting her in a crate, she would probably bite me LOL, but maybe you could make a fortune selling these things to parents, oh i have a neice that could use one, growl... but to think that people would abuse the training tool, just makes me mad, poor puppies should put their owners in the cages and see how they like it, and perhaps poke them with sticks as well..... it seems a little cruel to lock up a dog, why get a dog if it is to be locked up, but i was lucky to get such an easy to train dog, she just hung out from day one and has constant acess to house and yard at all times and has never in 8 years left our yard and wouldnt leave (she is as happy as a pig in sh#@). chico2 have you looked at the cages they use to store chooks in, they are similar to the crate and quite easy to carry with a good view. and out of interest people with crates, do you have big backyards??
thank you very much everybody for you info, you are all just a fount of really useful knowledge, there is a wealth of experience here
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Melanie..chooks,what are they? Yes I have a big backyard all fenced in,why do you ask? I was looking for a wire carrier to take my cats to the vet,small enough to carry,but thank's for replying
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:39 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hey chico

have u seen the nice mesh style ones they have now?
They're really good.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

chico, chooks are chickens, sorry for that, one forgets this space is so international.
the chickens are transported to market by smaller farms in little cages with a little door and are easy to carry 3 birds to a cage. the only reason i ask about backyards is that i thought the crate might be an alternative people used when they dont have a backyard or fences, like tying it up.
Old February 4th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Melanie,Chooks are chickens,you must be in Australia
I'm sorry for making this into a big deal,it's really not...I take the cats to the vet one at a time,it's just they have a severe allergy to the site of the carrier,but once I have the intended"victim"in the carrier the others come out of their hiding-places with a big sigh
I thought an open wire cage would be easier..with a big opening,I'll look around.
Luba,I've seen the mesh-bags an they do look good...thank's!
Old February 4th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

oh chico you must be a worldly person, you know what country im in just by my language, yes we are aussies, and good luck with getting your lot to the vet, we have a similar problem when the bath gets filled, but dogs dont have a cats claw, ouch.
hae a great day everyone
Old February 5th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Melanie,I am not especially worldly,but I have been around
Most of my Australian experience come from watching"Animal-Planet"on TV and sometimes endure the very Aussie "Crocodile-Hunter"
Old February 9th, 2004, 03:19 PM

He is a bit hyper isn't he. Australia is notorius for producing beautiful people! Nicole Kidman, Mel Gibson, and of course Heath Ledger. If I ever am single again, I just might have to move down there!
Old February 9th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

oh john you are soo right, yes us aussies are generally pretty beautiful . although i wouldnt consider steve irwin very physically beautiful, but beautiful inside an he does beautiful things for conservation in this country, but beautiful people why we produced peter allen, dame edna oh and the georgous heath oh and me of course
Old February 9th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Melanie...you are right I am sure "the crocodlie hunter"does some wonderful things for animals,I think his father started it.But he is at times a little hard to handle.Now.Mel Gibson on the other hand
I always thought the country I am from,Sweden,has the most beautiful people,at least the girls....oh well,what do I know
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:05 PM

Talking

I am just a plain old American, who is made up from a little bit of everything! So I guess you would say I am a mutt. (but some of the mutts turn out to be the cutiest! And as far as Steve Irwin being hard to handle, isn't that what makes it fun!!!!!!!!!

P.S.The user name I use is a verse from the bible, so please don't call me John as I am a woman!
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

chico (by the way they are my favourite lollies, so you must be beautiful), i think that all of us here are just georgous, we love animals soo much that makes us all the most beautiful people i know, lucky us (oh and i have heard that swedish girls are prety, but i have never met one so that is movies influence for you). and 44 (aka john, i will call you this now, sounds so spy like,very misterious). steve irwin is great, crazy (every body seems to think us aussies are all crazy, well maybe everybody else but not me ) . his dad did start their work and opened australia zoo and steve is carrying on his good work, there are not many out there who would go to such extremes for an animal species, he is a conservationists hero but my heart often goes out to his lovely wife who must have a real hadful keeping him in check.
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

agree...
Old February 9th, 2004, 07:28 PM

I watched one of his shows were he had her climbing and the poor thing ended up crying cause she was so scared. But can you imagine all that excitment and energy! Wow, if my husband had half that energy we would probably have had 30 kids or so!

44 does sound mysterious! I might have to use that one on my husband!!!!!!!!!!