Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old July 30th, 2010, 09:05 AM

15 year old lab with problems

About 6 months ago I got this 15 year old lab from a fellow who was leaving the country, although he had arthritis he has been an active and loving member of the family. Yesterday about 3:00 P.M. he was acting strangely as exhibited by him backing up rather than moving forward. I put him outside where he woofed up breakfast and continued over the course of the afternoon to intermittently eat grass and vomit, about 3 or 4 times and just laid down in the grass. I brought him in (usually he wants to be in the house but yesterday he had to be coaxed) about 8:00 P.M. and he bedded down for the night. He woke me at 3:00 A.M. and wanted to go out, where he vomited again (not much there to vomit since he is off his feed). He came in this morning about 6:00 and is lethargic and just won't eat anything; tried him on cheerios and milk, no dice; boiled egg, same thing. Other than that he seems well and wags his tail when you pat him. Any idea what's happening here, before I take him to the vet?
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:09 AM

15 year old lab with problems

Forgot to relate this: I contacted his long-time owner in the Ukraine and he said that Gunner has exhibited these symptoms before in hot weather, which we have been experiencing for several days. That's why I am waiting to see what develops before I take him to the vet...
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

He needs to go to the Vet right away. It could be any number of things. Dogs tend not to show pain, especially Labs which would be pretty useless as hunting dogs if they whimped out at every little thing.

Because of the eating issue I am thinking blockage. Has he pooped?

When my Lab girl had an acute episode of invertebral disk disease and significant spinal stenosis one of the first things we noticed was she would only walk backwards.

In my experience a Lab that won't eat is feeling mighty bad. Dumb dogs, they wag their tails regardless. I wouldn't put too much stock in the tail.

How wonderful of you to take in a dog at his age. Old dogs are special. Sounds like you are too.
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:43 AM

Gotta love the wife

I took this guy in without asking the wife and we have an 11 year old lab. I figured we may have a chance at doggie heaven... Thanks for your response
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

You rock for taking him in. I would definitely see the vet he may have eaten something outside. Dogs tend to eat grass when there tummies are upset.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I would agree also that he should be seen by a vet just to be on the safe side. My dogs are (one is a lab) are more lethargic in the heat also, but it takes an awful lot to put a lab off their food! Good question about the poop - is there any?? Thank you again for taking in this senior. Good luck.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM

15 year old lab problem

The following is a synopsis of the recent issue with my Lab

Gunner has been in tough shape with some sort of stomach thing that started on Thursday afternoon... He was acting strangely and wanted to go out about 3:00 in the afternoon and he vomited his breakfast which had yet to digest. He ate some grass, wandered around and vomited a few more times. he came in and laid down and was unresponsive and would not eat or drink (he's such a chow hound I knew something was wrong). He woke me up at about 3:00 A.M. on Friday morning to go out and he vomitted again and would not come in. All day Friday he was in the same condition, got him in the house by late morning but he was inert and could not do anything but lie down. He wanted to go out in the afternoon so I put him out and he laid down in the grass and couldn't move. He drank some water but I could not get him in till late. On Saturday he was worse but wanted to to go out in the afternoon and he stayed on the lawn all night. ( On Saturday I dug a place at the edge of the lawn...) This morning, Sunday, I went out and carried him in and he lied down again, would not eat anything just drank some water. Patti and me had to go out for a few hours and returned about 7:00 P.M. to find Gunner at the door waiting for us and wagging his tail... I fed him some muffin and rice with chicken broth and he appears to be resurrected... This morning he appears to be back to his old self.. Time will tell but i am feeding him a little bit of dry food that I have soaked with rice and he is eating with his usual gusto... Since it appears he will eat anything he may have gotten into something that did not agree with his iron-clad stomach. I also had a couple of emails to our great Vet and a long talk with her and was set to bring him there on Monday morning so, we are happy it looks like he is on the road to recovery. Stay tuned for future adventures of Gunner the Wonder Dog ( We wonder how he ever came out of this).
Old August 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
Floppy Dog

Reading your post, it reminds me of what happened to our German Sheapherd when he had a stroke. Unfortunately, my mom didn't take it too seriously at the time (I was 8, so not in a position to do anything) and 36 hours later he had another stroke and died. Maybe a thourough health check is in order, especially given Gunner's age.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.