Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 4th, 2006, 07:48 AM

New Member, New Chi Mix & 2 Questions

Hi all,

I'm receiving a 3 year old chi/terrier mix from a rescue this week for our trial. He's about 15 pds. The foster mom has been working with him for 3 months and she said he's "just about perfect". He's been well housetrained (to go outside) with her.

My husband and I have staggered schedules right now and one of us is home most of the time. The dog won't be home alone for more than 22 hours per week. However, on Wednesdays we are both gone from the house from 7:00 am to about 5.30 pm.

When we're not home, he'll have the kitchen to himself. It's very large and we'll gate it.

My two questions:

1. Pee pads: I've been reading as much as I can on Chis for a month and a half now. I've read that dogs who "have to hold" it for long periods of time become stressed. So I was thinking of putting a pee pad in the kitchen on Wednesdays, so if he had to go, he could. However, a friend of mine told me that if I train him to use the pee pad, he'll start going potty all over the house. Is this true? Also, will he get confused between using the pads in the house, and then asking to go outside when we're home? I also thought it would be useful for those -40 C days in January when the little guy may not want to venture out. How difficult is it to teach a dog to do this? (I'm up for hte challenge!)

2. Also, I'm going to ask the foster mom this, but I'll ask you as well - when do you normally feed your small dogs? I read in another chi book that if chis go to long without food they grow really weak, etc. because they're so small. What is too long (like my Wednesday?)? He's most definitely not a typical Chi since he's a mix and twice a Chi's normal size, but I just want to make sure I"m doing it right.

Thank you so much,
Old November 9th, 2006, 04:51 AM
-

Sorry, but somehow your post seemed to get overlooked.

First of all, welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of your little guy.

I've never had a small dog but any puppy I've had was always fed three times a day (morning, lunch and supper). I've also never used pee pads. We only ever got puppies when one of us was not working so was home to train and supervise so I'm not much help there either.

But, I was going to suggest, is it possible for someone to come to your home on Wednesdays? A friend, family member or neighbour? Or perhaps hire a dog sitter or put your puppy in daycare on Wednesdays?

Now that your post has been bumped up perhaps other members here will have some suggestions.

Good luck .
Old November 9th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Hi Rainbow,

Thanks so much for the response. I was wondering if it was something I said - or didn't say! I've been reading the threads here for a long while.

He's coming for his the pre-visit on Saturday, and I think I should be getting him next week. Then I"ll post a million pictures of him!! I'm too excited!

Thanks so much for letting know how many times to feed. I've been wondering. I'm sure his foster mom will have instructions - but good to know.

It might be possible to have a dog walker come mid-day. There's one in my neighbourhood somewhere (saw an add). I would however like to know a little bit more about hte pee-pads (in case my husband and I get stuck in traffic and we're late, etc) as a back up measure - just to have it there as an option for him. There's a woman around here who runs a dog training school - is this something I would ask her to help me train him?

Thanks- F.
Old November 9th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

I have never heard of any troubles with pee pads used in side the house.

If the puppy uses the pee pad, then when you bring him outside you can also put a pee pad out there too, so he will know what outside means and also what the pee pad means.
But I'm not sure, maybe someone else will have some better advice.

Congrats on the puppy
Old November 9th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I used peepads for an adult dog that had bladder stones and could not hold while at work or through the night. She had no problems understanding the rest of the house was not a potty area.

I have a 13 pound crested I feed 2 meals a day and a treat(dog cookie) at bedtime the same as the rest of my bigger dogs.

You might have to do a bit housetraining at your home, he has learn that the foster home is not a potty area but may not know that in your home the same rules apply, so keep a close eye on him till he learns the rules in your house and where it is appropriate to go potty, The only difference in the potty training will be he will have an extra place in your home where it will be appropriate to go.
Old November 11th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Thanks again for all the advice. OntarioGreys - I'm encouraged by your experience with the pads. I saw him today for the house visit and it went really well. I should have him within a week, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

I had asked his foster mom about the feeding as well, and she said she left dry food for him out during the day and gave him canned food at night - so it should work out well.
Old November 11th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Live well, laugh often

Congrats on the new dog.
I think the pee pads are ok. You will probably not need them especially if you can get a dog walker for that one day. A three year old dog generally has a pretty good bladder. I wish I had the capacity of my yellow lab's bladder!

You should also check out the dog food forums for some great advice on what types of dog food to feed. A good quality food can help to reduce both water consumption and stool volumn.

Good Luck.