Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy I NEED Ideas......

If you had to euthanize a cat, but didn't have the money...where would you go??

This lady called me and asked me to help put her cat down. She does not have any money and has to live with her son who's cat is a brute.
her cat is 17 years old and is a finniky eater, hares to be picked up , and is very timid....so obviously I would love to give him a home, but I can't......

She would rather put him down than wonder if he was a trouble to anyone.....Where can she go for a "Humane Euthanization with respect to the animal".....and is cheap...
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Compromised account

CPietra, I am sorry to hear about that situation. :sad:

The best way would be to call a few vets to find out prices and such....Some do it for cheaper than others. Maybe even call the SPCA? I just don't know. The cat does deserve to at least die with dignity, rather than be dropped off somewhere.

:sad::sad:

Good luck.
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

DO NOT GO TO THE SPCA. The way they euthanize cats is horrific. Contact Dr. Baker in Greenfield Park vet clinic. I do not know the name of the clinic. I believe it's about 35$ or so. They will sedate the cat and then will euthanize using euthanol.

Please do not take this cat to any pound or shelter. This is not a good way to part with your pet. Infact it's horrible.
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I know Ben Max...If I had a choice I would take this poor cat in, but i really can't at this point...She thought the SPCA was the best bet but I did talk her out of it.
She also does not have a car and I can not take her because if I see the cat I will not let her go thru it...so I am just tryin gto get her the best info I can...She is elderly by the way..the lady that is....I hate these phone calls.

Thank you Ben Max...I do appreciate all the info you have..and I know its a lot of info.
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I am going to PM you. Maybe something can be done.
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Compromised account

BM to the rescue, as always!

Thats why I love this site!
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor senior lady,poor kitty,it must be so difficult for you to get these kind of calls:sad:
I hope our BenMax can help out,don't we just love BenMax
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Owned by goldens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
DO NOT GO TO THE SPCA. The way they euthanize cats is horrific. Contact Dr. Baker in Greenfield Park vet clinic. I do not know the name of the clinic. I believe it's about 35$ or so. They will sedate the cat and then will euthanize using euthanol.

Please do not take this cat to any pound or shelter. This is not a good way to part with your pet. Infact it's horrible.
Do you mean Dr. Allan at the Taschereau Vet Clinic in Greenfield Park?
If so, the number is 450-465-6511
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM
-

My ex vet is pretty cheap , and very humane. If the lady can drive to that area. check your pm ....
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Frenchy...the lady does not have a car..and I really can not put myself in this situation...I will not be able to not bring the cat home for its last years among the living.
And that is why I can not be at the SPCA or in any area that has animal in desperate need.....and that is why I now have 12 cats......so shoot me!!!!!
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:03 PM

You all have made me very curious. Why not the SPCA? What do they do? Here (Wisconsin) when I toured the Humane Society (not the same, I think) there was a "Goodbye Room" where people could have a quiet parting with their pet. Is the SPCA different?

Julia

(I'm truly curious. No axe to grind.)
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

they are not humane
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:41 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
they are not humane
I have no idea how the SPCA in Montreal is run or their procedures....not all SPCA's are run the same. I know that ours uses euthanol.
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I wasn;t sure either, but a good source told me that I should not take the cat to the SPCA in Montreal...its not at all humane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I have no idea how the SPCA in Montreal is run or their procedures....not all SPCA's are run the same. I know that ours uses euthanol.
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:12 AM
-

Quote:
I wasn;t sure either, but a good source told me that I should not take the cat to the SPCA in Montreal...its not at all humane.
That is really sad :sad:
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry but I cannot help this cat. If the cat was dying or unhealthy - yes, but since the cat is health wise - there is nothing I can do.

The SPCA does euthanize with euthanol however they do not sedate. They inject this into the heart, and your aim has to be perfect. If not, the cats gasp for air and flip around alot. I have seen it, and quite frankly I do not agree with this AT ALL. On top of this, even if they did use a tranquilizer - this environment is not very calming. Animals are stressed, unsure, and frightened. They can SMELL the euthanizia room if you get my drift. They can smell death and they freeze. Dogs sometimes urinate or deficate when they go into THAT room. The freezer is in the same room.

I am sorry - the SPCA does great things but they need to improve drastically on this.
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I can't help her and she doesn;t have any money...and now her son gave her until tonight to ge tthe cat out our her will break the cats neck...and he apparently will do it. He was bitten by the cat and now has an infected finger....he is seeing red...so now I told her that since I can't help her with giving her 100.00+ dollars, I will take the f**** cat and see if I can place her....like I need this now.....what the hell did I just do???????
I can't beleive I am doing this....this cat is healthy and is 17 years old....does anyone on this board know of anyone who may want to take this cat and give it its last home....I am now going to go out of my office and scream....and then shoot myself.

Last edited by cpietra16; June 17th, 2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Sorry but I cannot help this cat. If the cat was dying or unhealthy - yes, but since the cat is health wise - there is nothing I can do.

The SPCA does euthanize with euthanol however they do not sedate. They inject this into the heart, and your aim has to be perfect. If not, the cats gasp for air and flip around alot. I have seen it, and quite frankly I do not agree with this AT ALL. On top of this, even if they did use a tranquilizer - this environment is not very calming. Animals are stressed, unsure, and frightened. They can SMELL the euthanizia room if you get my drift. They can smell death and they freeze. Dogs sometimes urinate or deficate when they go into THAT room. The freezer is in the same room.

I am sorry - the SPCA does great things but they need to improve drastically on this.
That's one of the most horrifying things I've heard. So they actively want to fight against cruelty, yet they condone it within their own walls? Those poor babies.:sad:

Quote:
Well I can't help her and she doesn;t have any money...and now her son gave her until tonight to ge tthe cat out our her will break the cats neck...and he apparently will do it. He was bitten by the cat and now has an infected finger....he is seeing red...so now I told her that since I can't help her with giving her 100.00+ dollars, I will take the f**** cat and see if I can place her....like I need this now.....what the hell did I just do???????
I can't beleive I am doing this....this cat is healthy and is 17 years old....does anyone on this board know of anyone who may want to take this cat and give it its last home....I am now goin gto go out of my office and sream....and then shoot myself.

This poor woman's son sounds like a complete b******!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

He is....trust me....he's a big A**H*** and he will break the cats neck...
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

cpietra I am sorry that you are such a sweet loving caring person that u took the cat. But I'm happy that u saved that cat from that terrible person who was going to strangle it! What kind of human would do that to a cat never mind their mother's pet! I feel so sorry for the mother.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:

I have heard bad things about them IN GENERAL and have STOPPED donating to them. I donate to ALDF from now on. ASPCA doesn't really do anything to help with the companion animals laws which are outrageous: our babies are viewed as property (in the eyes of the law) and I am told ASPCA supprts this.
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
He is....trust me....he's a big A**H*** and he will break the cats neck...
Did you save the cat???? YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

coietra,if you meet this"son"please do not hold back,he is a cruel idiot,not only to a poor defenseless cat,but to his mother..OMG I'd bring a big stick
I someone will help you with this poor cat,I just hate people sometimes,that's why I love animals....
What are you going to do??
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Can anyone foster or care for this cat...she's 17 years old but healthy. She is low maintenance /timid.... I can;t beleive I put myself in this position.
Old June 17th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

cpietra I wish I could:sad:
You put yourself in this position because you care,how did they get your phone-no??
I don't know the circumstances,but if this was my son,he'd be out of my will in a heartbeat,NOBODY could make me give up on my cats,no matter what

BenMax,would not a healthy cat who is about to be killed warrant a rescue from your place,that to me is worse than being sick:sad:
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG...I read these posts and I just can't help crying. I did not know that was going on in the SPCA. I just stopped the automatic debit from my account last month that was going to them, now, I have no guilt what so ever about it.
Why are some people so cruel? That woman's son sounds like he should be put down to put other people out of their misery for having to be around him. I think if the cat bit him, he had good reason. They can see people more for what they are than most other people can.
I wish I could help.
You are my hero for saving that kitty.
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:29 PM

I'm shocked about the ASPCA! After watching Animal Planet I thought their practices were humane. Maybe I'm being naive. I actually give money to them monthly because I was so sure they were a great organization.

I feel so sorry for this women and her cat! My vet is the kind of person who will keep the cat at his practice instead of opting for euthanization. He has several cats, a blind dog, a ferret and a couple of birds that live in his office. I wish she could find someone like my vet to take her cat in!

Two things that really bother me...the word "humane" and when a criminal is called an "animal" Many humans aren't humane to animals at all and to be called an animal should be a compliment. Animals hurt or kill to survive or to protect themselves and/or their babies, and it's very rare they kill for no reason at all. Of course there are humans who are good and kind (many are right here on this board) but there are a lot people who could care less about a living being that doesn't fit into their life.

I hope I explained that clearly enough.

“The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.”—Hippocrates

Last edited by smithduke; June 17th, 2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

This is certainly a very sad situation with so many "wrongs" you don't know where to start.

Bless you cpietra for stepping up again. Sadly, aside from severe allergies, I have a high prey drive terrier that would probably make this cat's life Hell here. for a suitable solution soon.

I think we should be very very clear here that Benmax is sharing knowledge that she has of the Montreal SPCA ONLY! It does not mean and we can not know how euthanasia is performed in other cities, provinces, or states for that matter. I would hate for people to discontinue donations to organizations that we have no knowledge of their procedure...just my

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Sorry this is kinda off topic...but I think the info posted was about ONE specific SPCA shelter in Quebec, no? ASPCA is completely different, not that I am sticking up for them, I dont know what methods they use, just pointing out that not every SPCA in North America is affiliated with each other. There are also OSPCA shelters in Ontario, again, completely different organization. Just wanted to clear that up
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I understood BenMax and knew she was talking about the Montreal one...I respect what she does and trust her completely. I appreciate all that she can do and share..and if she wants me to stay away from the SPCA then I will, especially if she has witnessed the "room" . Well she's here in my house, not sure how long.I really can;t keep her. I am not a rescue on to myself and I really can't do this to my kids.....so if anyone has a heart please,,,help:sad:
Attached Images