Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 18th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Our poor Charlie has cancer

I am so sad Charlie one of our beloved cats has cancer out Vet removed a golf ball sized tumor from him today . we are sending it off to be tested and i am praying that she got it all . We will also know what type it is but we fear we will have to make the decision to let him go , he is just 7 years old and i feel it's just too young to have to go :sad: Our other cat George already knows something is wrong because he keeps looking for Charlie. How will i help him cope if we have to put Charlie down ?
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry to hear that,I too had a cat(Peppi)who had a tennis-ball size tumor..I pointed it out to my vet,when the tumor was only quarter-size,she said it was only a fatty deposit. Peppi was also diabetic..
Weeks later it was huge and Peppi gave up on life and had to be euthanized.
My vet never suggested an operation,so that yours is attempting to remove Charlies could be good news.
George will eventually be ok,but if you loose Charlie:sad:George will miss him very much,another kitten/cat would probably help him.
But lets hope it does not come to that,lets hope Charlie recovers and that it's not as bad as was thought
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Addicted to puppy

I am so sorry about your cat. I will be hoping that the biopsy comes back with good news. I am going through the same thing with my dog. Try not to make those decisions until you know what is going on. I know that's easier said than done, but all the worrying in the world now won't change the results, and you will drive yourself crazy!!
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:02 PM
-

Sorry to hear about Charlie and hope they got all the cancer when the tumour was removed.

One of my last siberian huskies had a four inch tumour removed from his intestines when he was 10 years old. The vet said the prognosis for his type of cancer was 8-10 months. He surprised us all by making it for 23 months.:love:

Think positive!!!
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I wish you all the luck....I am hoping for the best for both you and Charlie
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:06 PM

I'm so sorry for the bad news! I'll keep my fingers crossed that the tests come back with hope.
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:46 PM
-

I'm so sorry for your cat Kerri.But don't give up hope.My dog Daisy,10 years old,had 2 tumours (cancer) taking out in the last 9 months.She is doing great!So maybe your cat is ok,think positive
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:05 AM

Thank you so much for all the kind words i am hoping that Charlie will be able to come home , but i will also prepare to have the courage to let him go if i have to . He has been such a good boy about this all and i know he is scared but i have the most wonderful caring Vet in the world and they are looking after him well . Here he is just a few months ago he loves his photo taken Name:  charlie1.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  3.6 KB
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Just one more

This is how Charlie loved to sleep on his back such a silly boy Name:  charie2.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  3.4 KB
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Kerri,Charlie looks like a real sweetie:love:
I am glad you have a wonderful vet,so many of us don't,me included.
I hope he is well enough to come home after surgery
Whatever the prognosis is for Charlie,he knows you love him and will make the right desicion for him.
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:19 AM

Charlie look like the king of the household.

I'm so sorry about the bad news.If the vet is willing to operate, it's a great sign!
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:34 AM

The back of the couch gang

You know our pets are such a part of this family with one away all are upset , this is just a sample of how well they get along . Name:  Gang1.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  3.5 KB Gosh i had better stop or will will make mayself crazy with fear of loosing him
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:30 AM
-

It's ok to prepare for the worst,I know.But there is still hope...they are so cute all together on the couch!
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Picking Charlie up at 3pm

My Vet called and said i can bring him home but wanted to prepare me for the fact that it looks pretty bad , his surgery site is very large and he has a drain in . They say it may take up to a week for them to come back with results so i just want to bring him home . I can handle how he looks i have dealt ith many gory things before , i even helped out when one of my dogs had to have a c-section. I am just scared for Charlie and i don't want him to be in any pain i just want to hold him and love him as long as i can .
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Addicted to puppy

I'm sure your vet has told you all of this... But, make sure you keep the incision site clean, and the drain intact. Depending on where it is you may have to keep him from taking it out himself. All of your other kitties will be very concerned for Charlie, and you should let them check him out one at a time while supervised. He may be defensive because he isn't feeling well, so try not to let them come at him all at once. I am wishing you all the luck with his prognosis. Try and be positive while you are waiting for the results. This week will seem like it takes forever. Spoil him rotten. :love:
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:40 PM
-

Glad you get to bring Charlie home today. Do you have a room for him to be in by himself until you can see how the others will react? Then introduce them one at a time. I know what it's like waiting for test results. The next week is going to take forever.

I'm glad that you have a wonderful vet as it sure helps. I'm lucky enough to have one too and she sure helped me when I had to go through this.

Keep positive.
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:56 PM

We are home

We are home from the vet and Charlie has two drains in and one hugh incision gosh it is big , he wouldn't eat for them today but as soon as i got him set up he ate a little and used his litter pan . I have him all set up in an extra large Vari Kennel so he can recover in peace , before we left she gave him another morphine injection . I will go in Sunday morning to hopefully have the drains removed and she hopes to hear from the pathologist by Tuesday , i am just glad to have him home and thank you for all the kind thoughts .
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:07 PM
-

Glad to hear all is going well and that Charlie ate a little and used his litter box. :love: Hope everything continues to go well on Sunday and especially on Tuesday.

Keep positive and keep us posted.
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Kerri,that's good news,I hope he will not be too uncomfortable
I am sure he's happy to be home,be extra careful when you let the others approach him,he now has a smell they are not familiar with and they might not be so nice to him.
I did not realize you have so many animals,that's why I suggested another cat for George,if the worst happens,but lets hope it does not come to that for sweet Charlie
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:44 PM

My vet met me today so she could remove the drains Charlie is such a trooper , he is eating and drinking well . He is very happy today because she said he doesn't have to be in the crate now , we came home and took a little nap together . We hope to hear from the pathologist on Tuesday after the hoilday here , but you know i am so glad we had the surgery even if it was to just make him more comfortable for the time being .
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:00 PM
-

Good for Charlie!!! Glad to hear he's doing well and do hope you get good news on Tuesday.

Good luck.
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sending positive vibes to Charlie and you. It always amazes me how pets take these things in stride. I'm glad he was able to come home where he'll be far more comfortable and cared for by someone he loves and who loves him.
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:31 PM

I'm so glad things are going as well as can be possible. I'm so sorry you're going through all this, but you do gain a little bit more precious time...
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Kerri,that's great news,Charlie is probably sooo happy to be home and yes,animals are amazing in their way of coping with the worst.
Every day is precious and if this surgery bought him more time,it's well worth it..:love:
If it is cancerous,hopefully it's not very agressive...lots of good vibes and wishes going to you and sweet Charlie
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck Charlie...all good vibs are comig your way