Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 13th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Harley's getting a little brother!

Well, I have been searching....through rescues and everywhere else and I have finally found a little brother for Harley.

On Friday, I will be bringing home a little tzu/bichon that is 9 weeks old. Unfortunately, he does come from a BYB but if I didn't take him, they were going to have him put down. He is absolutely beautiful! We pick him up on Friday around 6:00 and I have a Vet appt on Saturday at 10:20 for shots, stool samples etc. The new pup will be neutured at the appropriate time....

I know everyone frowns on BYB but I feel that I have "rescued" an otherwise neglected puppy.

Harley will be 4 yrs old in September and I think this new little guy will be a joy to our household.

I hope everyone can be happy for me! Only 3 more sleeps!!!! :love:
Old June 13th, 2006, 06:21 PM

I am excited for you. At least now this puppy has a chance. I can't wait to see pictures!
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the new puppy!

I hope you aren't paying for it, unless the shots and neuter are included. Otherwise you'll be rewarding this moron and helping to finance another litter and that is not "rescuing".
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:04 PM
-

Congrats on the adoption,we will expect lots of pictures you know!
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
Congrats on the new puppy!

I hope you aren't paying for it, unless the shots and neuter are included. Otherwise you'll be rewarding this moron and helping to finance another litter and that is not "rescuing".
Yes I am paying for him.....and after discussions with the puppy's seller, she said her little girl will be spayed. She actually said it before I asked. The appt is already made for beginning of July. I won't get into why she let her female have a litter, it's not worth the discussion.

I am willing to put out money for shots and neuter so that I know this little guy will have a good home.

Thanks for all the positive wishes from the rest of you! I am soooo anxious to get this little one into his forever home. We are puppy-proofing the house tonight, I don't believe in crates so we will make him a pen on pee-proof flooring. I have already bought him some chew toys, a kong, a rope and tomorrow I will go for a bed, bowls, leash and little collar. The seller has him on IAMs puppy food and he seems to be doing really well on that, so for now, he will stay on that. Eventually I will change him over to Euk fish and potatoe, the same as Harley has.

I will definitely post pictures this weekend. Wish me luck, it's been about 3 years since I have had a puppy in the house and I couldn't be happier! I am so ready for some sleepless nights and floor washing!!!

Now all we have to do is pick a name!!! :love:
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:23 PM

Wow when you read this only 2 more sleeps, how exciting a new furbaby, so much fun when brought into the home for the right reasons at the right time Sounds to me like this little guy is going to be spoiled rotten, by what you have gotten him already, Lucky, Lucky boy
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

2 more sleeps is probably the absolute truth! We did the same thing in summer 2004. Bought a puppy from what turned out to be a BYB - despite research. He was 13 weeks - first puppy we had ever had that young and at 54, oh my! We were also at vet next a.m. for a check-up. We have been very lucky - he is now 26 months and except for a virus that was rampant in Toronto in Oct. he has been very healthy. I will be thinking of you on Friday night as you are all settling in for a good "sleep". I am not a crate fan either - just as well, my guy is terrified of them. And sadly at 13 weeks and 11 lbs. could climb the Kiddie Proofers fence I had - and tumble somersault fashion from the top - not good for the head. I hope you puppy is healthy and that your two dogs will have a great relationship.
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:51 PM

No problem Lucky....I expected some disapproval.

If you read my post, you will notice that the owners of the momma dog are having her spayed in July. I am having my little guy done when he is old enough, so the cycle will end for this little family.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes - I will be posting some pictures and I am sure I will tons of questions.

I have so far bought the bed, collar, leash, kong and treat, toys and food. This little guy won't be missing much. I am not sure how it will go with Harley but only time will tell. Harley is possessive of some of his toys and his bed, so I will keep an eye on that.

From what I have heard, it is best to let the two dogs "sort out their differences"? Or should I "referee" when harley gets upset with the pup?

Only 2 more sleeps....
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

You will know when you need to referee - watch especially for Harley going for back of neck of new puppy - often canine teeth will dig in - if this happens you should take pup to vet right away. They will sort many things out for themselves over time - and then no doubt once again once new puppy reaches maturity - the worm may turn and Harley may be second in command. No doubt at first all of the new pup's toys and other belongings will be "his" to be shared.
Old June 16th, 2006, 12:14 AM

Congratulations!! I pick up my second puppy(hopefully I have to let my current one meet her and see if its okay) Sunday. I wish you luck!:love: :love: :love: