Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 20th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Am I a complete @ss?

Okay, so I just brought my 3 dogs in for a wellness exam and complete vaccination series. Vet bills totaling $475.00.
I really like my vet, she takes me seriously and comments that my observations are insightful and that I am a great pet owner.
Since heartworm time is here, the vet recommended that I do the usual course of Revolution. 3 Large breed dogs from April to November is going to cost me and additional $500 to get this medication from the vet.
I can order it online in the US for $225. No brainer huh? But, I feel terrible...
The online company has to call the vet and get the prescription from them. I sent the vet an email and said that I need to be fiscally responsible with preventative treatment meds, but I will continue to bring in my pets for services and care since I like and respect them so much.
Am I a total @ss here? I would love to support their business unconditionally, but look at the price difference...
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We were charged $190 for some meds that cost us $48 on line. So we told our vet the same thing. Initially they had a problem with it because our online vet pharmacy company was not one they had dealt with before, but it turns out it's licensed by the same state the vet's pharmacy supplier is. So once they realized the supplier we were going to use was reputable, there was no problem.

Just make sure you do your homework and deal with a good online outfit so you don't end up with counterfeit meds.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:33 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Nope, not at all. These days you have to watch every penny. Vets seem to do ok with office visits, blood work, yearly shots and other things they charge for.
You want my bill for keeping my catty cats on it for that long?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Senior Contributor

Hazel, the most important part was to say "No, MM, you are not a jerk for not supporting your vet and buying online.."
I am suffering from major guilt and bad person-ness type feelings.
-

My vet has absolutely no problem giving me a presription for anything I can get cheaper elsewhere. I don't think you are being an @ss at all but as Hazel said make sure whoever you deal with is reputable.
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

14+, I cannot even imagine how big your vet bill must be...
You should get some serious good patronage discounts for the amount of pretty kitties you have...
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Well if you are, move over, I'll join you. I order pet meds on-line from a bricks and mortar pharmacy in Toronto that I also sometimes go to in person. Since I've switched Vets I'm not saving as much money as I did three years ago but there is still a significant savings. Every year I tell my Vet that I just can't afford to spend more than I have to but if they will price match I'll gladly buy from them. Every year they commiserate with me and really do seem to understand. Still, I feel as you do, that I would like to buy from them if I could afford to.

Just to echo Hazel, and I know you know this but other folks are reading too, you can often check authenticity of the products you buy on-line by going to the manufacturer's own website. Many will tell you what to watch for in counterfeit products.
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Just to echo Hazel, and I know you know this but other folks are reading too, you can often check authenticity of the products you buy on-line by going to the manufacturer's own website. Many will tell you what to watch for in counterfeit products.
What am I looking for at the manufacturer's website? Will they list who they resell to? I ordered from a very recognized (big popular website) so I am confident it is legit, but for the future, I would be happy to know more on what to look for...
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:49 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

My vet is actually pretty good at giving me discounts. I can't complain. Last time I had Brownie in for a blood draw she told the girl doing the bill to cut the price of the test. Said it was too much. I know she gives me deals on some of the meds too. I'm very grateful for that. But I also have to make sure to get the "good vet". The other one doesn't do discounts.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
What am I looking for at the manufacturer's website? Will they list who they resell to? I ordered from a very recognized (big popular website) so I am confident it is legit, but for the future, I would be happy to know more on what to look for...
Not all do it but I found some have a place where they warn you what counterfeiters commonly do to make a product look like the real thing. Sometimes it's as easy as checking expiry dates. Some give an illustration of the correct package and counterfeit ones. Sometimes it's the way the package is set up and the size of the product inside. Or it's items and information printed on the package. I didn't find any with lists of resellers but I suppose some might do that too.

If you are in the U.S. it's different for you, I think. Here in Canada drug companies can legimately sell to an accredited pharmacy and any guarantees on the product still apply. I think in the U.S. if you buy from anything other than a Vet you don't get the guarantee on the product. I think.
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomom View Post
Hazel, the most important part was to say "No, MM, you are not a jerk for not supporting your vet and buying online.."
I am suffering from major guilt and bad person-ness type feelings.
No, MM, you are not a jerk for not supporting your vet and buying online!

Better?

No one can afford to pay more than they have to for anything these days--and the savings you can realize by purchasing online meds can be very significant! Even our vets had to agree with that!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 20th, 2010, 02:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, one other suggestion--try to find an online supplier who has both a staff vet and a staff veterinarian pharmacist. Those are the ones that are able to purchase directly from the manufacturers, who often will not sell to anyone who is not a vet or a vet pharmacist.

Old March 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM
-

Macomom , do NOT feel bad !!! This is your money we're talking about. If vets would give us a break sometimes , we might be able to spend more at their clinics. I know I can't and for the past 5 years , I've been ordering Heartguard online for half the price it's sold here !

and no , I don't feel bad at all !
Old March 20th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I just contacted Pfizer, who makes Revolution, and I am verifying my online source. If everything is good, them Mama has meds at half the cost. phewf...
Old March 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Senior Contributor

MM...you have to look after your animals...and if u can get your drugs at a cheaper price u will have more money later if you have a vet emergency to deal with....yes?

And NO u are not a jerk! You are basically saving money for a rainy day and it is better your pets have the drugs at a cheaper price, than pay the higher price to make your vet feel better and then you not being able to buy all the necessary drugs cause u ran outta money.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)