Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 21st, 2005, 11:04 AM

Unhappy Rat Terrier training

My Rat Terrier keeps peeing and I think she knows better but is only 9 wks old?
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Of course she doesn't "know any better."
She's a baby, and shouldn't even be away from her litter at this age, don't tell me you got her at 6 weeks old....
She is peeing because you are letting her pee inside. And because she's a tiny baby and not even phyisically capable of holding it for very long at all.

It is up to you to figure out how to potty train a baby puppy, I'm not going to do it for you. Do a Google search on "housetraining puppies" and you will find instructions.
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:38 AM

Unhappy Rat Terrier

Don't need anyone to train her for me was just asking if anyone had any tips for me. She was sold to me by a trainer who has raised these dogs for years and told me she was 9 weeks old and ready to go. She will go on the paper one time and then look at you and you let her out of the pen and she goes on the carpet the next time. She looks at you and you know she knows what you want but wont do it. She is never hit or a harsh word because I read up on it and it said not to do that.
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

At this age, she doesn't really know she has to go or is capable of holding it. Please don't discipline her if she makes mistakes; she isn't being "bad". You need to watch her closely and anticipate when she needs to go (upon awakening, after eating, when excited or starting to play). It's up to you to make it easy for her. This will help her know where to go when she begins to recognize she needs to and is able to hold it long enough to get there.
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug05
She looks at you and you know she knows what you want but wont do it. .
No, she doesn't know. Truly, she doesn't! Any more than a human baby "knows."
What you do, is you watch her carefully for signs she's about to pee, then you quickly bring her to the appropriate place and praise her when she potties there.
You do this after she eats, drinks, wakes up, pauses in playing. You do this A LOT. After a while, she will get it, but it takes weeks, often.
Also when they are so little, the connection between their hind ends and their brains isn't properly formed yet, so they just go in the middle of playing or walking. So it's your job to watch, watch, watch. Praise her every time she goes in the right place, don't make a big deal when she doesn't.

Be patient, be very patient, and I am glad you're not scolding her. She will not have a clue what she's being scolded for, she will just think you are a rather unpredictable large creature.

You may want to ask the experienced trainer/breeder for tips. That's the first person you should be going to with any questions. What does this person recommend?

There's no easy answers or special tips in potty training. Just takes being watchful and consistent and patient. That's it.

Post a photo if you have any, we like cute puppy pics here.
Old February 21st, 2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

This is a baby. Would you expect a 9 month old human baby to know better and not soil his diapers?

Tiny puppies have very little control, and when they have the "urge" to go, they have no time to move anywhere else and just go. Don't expect her to be reliably housetrained much before 6 months, and toy breeds can take a lot longer than that.

If the puppy is peeing on the floor, this is not her fault in any way. You must just clean it up without scolding of any kind, or you may make her afraid to go in front of you. The object is to prevent mistakes from happening with supervision and frequent trips outdoors.

Here is a very good article on housetraining very young puppies.
Housetraining puppies