Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures > Pet free photography

Old June 14th, 2011, 10:09 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Random critter shots

I'd never seen a chipmunk's tongue before :

Name:  Chipmunk 9-16-10 B1.JPG
Views: 607
Size:  188.1 KB

One of our many red squirrels, ace dog sitters. If there's a squirrel around, we know what the dogs will be watching... Keeps the Pack out of trouble.

Name:  Red squirrel 5-14-11 A.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  156.0 KB

Curious Ms Cottontail. Unfortunately, she keeps nesting in the fenced garden inside the dog yard. Her babies are safe while they're in the nest, but they don't seem to comprehend that there are dogs between the garden fence and the perimeter fence.

Name:  Eastern cottontail 5-30-11 A.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  108.1 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:14 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

More red squirrels because I find them incredibly cute!!!

Name:  Red squirrel 5-5-11.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  Red squirrel 5-21-11 A.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  94.9 KB

This last one is sitting in a legacy of the goldfinches. We had so many goldfinches last winter that I resorted to throwing sunflower on the snow for three months to accommodate them all. This, of course, resulted in a huge buildup of sunflower when the snow melted, and although I raked up what I could, there was a good deal left that sprouted. All those little plants you see in this shot are sprouting sunflower! I figure if even half of them grow up, bloom and set seed, we'll really be saving a lot of money on our seed bills this fall.

Name:  Red squirrel 5-30-11 A.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  88.4 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:17 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

A few early insects...

Tent caterpillars. Lots of people think they're icky, but I love watching the warblers go after the silk for their nests. I've heard that cuckoos eat the caterpillars, too, but I've never witnessed it...

Name:  Tent caterpillars 5-21-11 A.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  68.7 KB

I think this is a Wild Indigo Duskywing butterfly. We see them every year but they can be tricky to ID:

Name:  Wild indigo duskywing 5-20-11 A.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  93.3 KB

And this is probably a Spring Azure Butterfly--another tricky ID because the azures can look so similar.

Name:  Spring azure 5-20-11 A.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  66.2 KB

Old June 14th, 2011, 10:19 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Pregnant doe:

Name:  Very pregnant doe 5-7-11.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  194.2 KB

Doe feeling much lighter after dropping her fawn:

Name:  Shaggy spring deer 5-21-11 A.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  125.2 KB

The deer aren't too fond of madame hazel and her clicking black box, either.

Name:  Shaggy spring deer 5-21-11 B.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  99.5 KB

Old June 14th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Mickey, my angel

Great pics! Too cute.

I've never seen a chipmunk's tongue before either.

I just love the red squirrels too. We don't seem to have as many around here this year.

Love the pics of the doe, too.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Maybe your squirrels moved here! Holy catz, do we have squirrels!!!! Red ones, fox squirrels and a whole whack o' steroidal gray squirrels! You can tell by the size and sheer mass of our gray squirrels that they've been partaking of the bounty we put out for the birds. We're equal opportunity critter feeders.

Old June 14th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Fabulous photo's, Hazel. The first squirrel, and the last doe photo's are exceptional. I love seeing all the critters that I guess you all take for granted.
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

great pics, your red squirrel has babies somewhere.....