Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 21st, 2004, 06:55 AM
Jet's mom

Why does my pup do this?

Jet has been very good about pottying outside, but lately when i take him out to poo, he wont poo. He goes back up the steps and scratches on the patio door to indicate that he is done. However, within a minute of him entering the house, he poos! this happpened twice last night and once this morning. He's been very good at pooing outside but he now holds his poo until he goes inside and does this business there!
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:34 AM
<-----nut ball

I don't know where you live, but if you're anywhere north, this last week has got really cold and wet..maybe that's it?
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:36 AM
Jet's mom

I live in Vaughan. It is cold.. maybe thats it?
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:40 AM
banned user

Jet

Did something scare him when he was going outside one time? sound of a loud truck anything that you can think of?

Give him a good 10 mins to go outside,,encourage with words like Potty,duties..and let him sniff around,no playing till hes done duties..if he doesnt go,bring him back inside,leash him to you,if you have too(so you can watch him),,then a couple mins later,take him back out and repeat the routine.DONT let him wander the house till hes done duties outside.

Also where he is going in the house,make sure you clean the area well so hes not picking up that scent...You can even bring his poop closer to the patio door,let him see it and say your buzz word like "jet duties,good boy duties"

Hannah has a habit of heading to the back lot when she has to go...I have 2 acres out the back,so we get a good walk as well...Iam trying to encouage her to go closer to the door..gonna be COLD during the winter walking the back 40 at 6am.

Be patient with him...encourage and TONS of praise when he does go outside I dont think cold has alot to do with it..when dogs gotta go they will go outside in any weather...
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:52 AM
<-----nut ball

Ahh. I'm in Brampton. The last 2 days I actually started to use my winter coat again. This has been the wettest coldest week so far this fall. I've never had a dog before, but if I were a puppy (you have a puppy right?) and this cold thing was "new" I wouldn't want to poop outside either!!
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:53 AM
Jet's mom

we take him out the middle of the night when he cries and he badly needs to poo. but i find that before bed time and in the morning he is finicky bout pooing outside. i dont think he is scared cause he sometimes goes to the back door to let me know when he needs to potty.

i also give him treats after he poos outside. its strange cause he does not always do this, its only occasionally where he will hold his poo. perhaps it is the cold.
Old October 21st, 2004, 08:20 AM

Weather is probably a factor. Also, maybe your pup goes out with the intention of doing a BM, but unlike peeing, a BM takes some time to work up to it -- maybe he forgets that's why he's out there, then feels it's kind of cold, asks to come in and remembers again... Casey went through that, but he's a lot better now. Actually, I believe something similar happened this morning, coincidentally -- but that's the first time this month! Don't be discouraged by a snag in the training... it is a bit of a roller coaster with these pups!