Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 29th, 2013, 10:09 PM

pecking order

hello, how do i tell which one of my dogs is 2ic to us, We have a male staffy 6yr which we have had since a pup and is use to having everything to himself, 3 weeks ago we rescued a female staffy who thinks all the toys and balls are all hers and they have had 2 fights, one stopped on its own because she yelped and was hurt, the other we had to pull him off, which is very hard to do, because he was in that frenzy mode, and again she got very hurt. Other than that they get on.
Are we supposed to let them fight to sort it out and if so how without one being killed.

regards

Sharon
Old July 30th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtua...ur-dog-new-dog

did you introduce the new dog your first dog or just put them a room together?

This link tell how to introduces a new dog to dog of the house.
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:43 PM

Sharon

No we had two meetings first on mutual ground and they like each other, she did little growls, a few times, but he didn't react to them and we were told she did that to all dogs when she first meets them. When we bought her home we let them meet at the park across the road from us and then walk them into our house and out the back. There was a weeing competition for about 10 min. he wanted to play but she wasn't sure and ran back to us. She doesn't play with balls she just wants to own it and that how the first fight started.

The second fight started when a friend was over and was trying to play with a toy with her and called the male over, the friend didn't know any better and we didn't release this was going on until they started to flight. We had all the toys put in a box away from them both because of the first incident.

They both have basic training, the male has had a lot of training and is a very good listener.

thank you for help Barkingdog
Old July 30th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Dogs do get along better a neutral territory ,like a park. Maybe you have a dog behaviorist come to your one time to watch yours dogs and give you some suggestions. I would give your male dog some alone time with you so he will not feel like he is being replace with a new dog.
Old July 30th, 2013, 08:12 PM

pecking order

I read the link you supplied and we did the right thing with the intro, but looks like we let them down in the home. They do eat separately, and have their own beds, but they change from bed to bed which is in the same room. They share the kennel when outside and run and play without any problems.
Old July 30th, 2013, 08:19 PM

pecking order

thank you Barkingdog I will take on board your comments. how do I know which one of them are more dominate and how do I manage that?
Old July 31st, 2013, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonDB View Post
thank you Barkingdog I will take on board your comments. how do I know which one of them are more dominate and how do I manage that?
I was hoping other people that have two dogs or more would have some answers for you. I really think it would be best to have a dog behaviorist watch you and the dogs so they can get a better idea of what is happening.
A good dog behaviorist would also watch your body language and see what kind signals you're giving your dogs. I have no idea what is happen but I would think the dog you had the longest would be more dominate , but female dogs can be very protected of their owners . So I think you need get some help so your dogs will not end up hurting one another. Maybe someone else will come along and give you some other suggestions.